xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
realthor

Website In Firefox And Iexplorer iexplorer mess it up, whats the problem

Hi,I've made some custom coding on a blog to make it look like i want it but i've noticed that while in opera and firefox it looks perfectly, in internet explorer it look messed up.The problem should be minor as long as there is little code just a couple of divs, some background images and a few line of text-it's the home page which is small.Can you take a look and tell me what to change there as long as i don't know very well the differences between browsers' way of tackling css and html just to make it look the same in these browsers.It seems to me that there's one character "." appeared out of the blue...I've set the background color to red to be more visible the difference between iexplorer and firefox fr example.The adress is http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
Thank you!

well it simple really firefox is xhtml heavy and requires you to do most of coding in css to compensate for both browsers, which means you have to alot of little edits to get it just right.

I would enormously appreciate some hints or even fixes because there is smth i don't understand:if you took a look at the page in opera/firefox and iexplorer you must have noticed that in iexplorer the red div is enlarged downwards and there is a "period" sign on the left side which isn't contained in the text on the right .I don't know what might cause that...and i even don't understand why the red div isn't only containing the text on the right but it extends even where there is no text...Could you take a more detailed look?

I had a great template that looked great on IE but really bad on Firefox...It was really hard to fix every small thing because even one digit out of place messed it up completely...So...I ended up getting a new template.A suggestion :P

I saved a copy of the site on my computer, removed all javascript, removed unneccassary tags, and opened it in Internet Explorer, and that's when it started looking like the other browsers. So, if i were you, i'd relook over your coding, and edit the site.

ok,in the end i replaced the div inside the "sidebar" div with a table and with some tuning it looks ok in all 3 browsers.Hopefully i've done good,because i still don't understand what was wrong and that's what bothers me most.Anyway,cheers!

By the way, as i don't know very well even css ,just some html and still learning css, would you mind telling what were the unnecesary tags;and the javascript i guess is server-side i don't have any power to change as it is dinamically put there.I've noticed some strange behaviour of iexplorer comparing with opera/firefox as it tackles very differnetly tags like divs or css properties as paddings and margins,pretty annoying.It's a pitty i don't have time to look deeper for the mistakes...

I have the same problem but it happened because i used Frontpage and Dreamweaver to edit my site. This was caused through edit of code and layout. Try changing the layout of your website and test it in differant browsers, this is what i do and now i dont have any problems :P