xisto Community
rejected

Parents Gave My Dogs Away sad..angry..freakin p.oed

Although this topic is old, i too have an opinion on the matter. In my opinion, what the parents did was utterly wrong. I do believe the parents weren't the wise ones here (as Watermonkey implied that they were). If i'm not mistaken, being wise means searching out for the best possible solution—with or without inconvenience—before going to the last possible solution (the one that brings sorrow and grief to loved ones). What if the dogs were scaring the cats? I know people who own both dogs and cats in the same house—how is it that they manage? What about keeping the dogs outside most of the time and the cats inside? What about keeping the dogs in one room (which i'm sure rejected wouldn't have minded if they were in his room most, if not all, of the time) and the cats in the rest of the house or in another room? If i'm not mistaken, dogs can't jump onto counters, tabletops, and other hard-or-merely-impossible-for-dogs-to-reach objects. In my opinion, the parents were selfish. I wonder just how much time the parents spend with their cats—that is, i hope they weren't hypocritical; surely they have jobs and their own things to do. I myself own four dogs, so hearing about this really gets to me.

AeroBlack, I don't know what a jer is, could you explain? >.<

I think he meant j3rk, but he omitted the last 'k' to avoid getting warned/banned for foul language or something.

I do agree with him, though; it's just plain wrong. While it may be true that you, living under their roof, are subject to their rules and whims, they have no right to take away something that is yours. What if it weren't dogs? What if it were your money or jewelry? What if they said, "Money is the root of all evil so we freed you from its curse by giving it to, lessay, Eur Yvelle C. Sterr?" or "Necklaces and bracelets aren't for boys so we gave 'em to Eur Yvelle C. Sterr."

It's not merely about who's the master and who's the subordinate. The king, from Antoine de Saint-Exupery's The Little Prince, once said, "Hum! Hum!" which is completely pointless and irrelevant to this topic. However, he also said,

If I ordered a general to change himself into a sea bird, and if the general did not obey me, that would not be the fault of the general. That would be my fault.

One must require from each one the duty which one can perform. Accepted authority rests first of all on reason. If you ordered your people to go and throw themselves into the sea, they would rise up in revolution. I have the right to require obedience because my orders are reasonable.

Now, while it is presently beyond me to judge with complete finality whether rejected's parents were reasonable in their decision, I do think that it is wrong for them to do just that simply because rejected is their child and he/she lives under their roof. They may have other reasons too but I do think that the very least they should have done is talk it over. There are many ways to skin a cat, y'know? (pun intended)

I, for one, am proud of my parents in that they know when they are wrong. While pride and dignity prevents them from accepting defeat, they just turn silent, wave a hand and say, "Fine, have it your own way."

Also, I overheard my mom telling my dad, "You can't expect our son to bow down and be dumber than you; he has a spine of his own. He studied computers all throughout college while you just touched lightly on the subject. If they just said 'yes' to everything we say, then we have failed, as parents, to educate them as we must. What will happen, then, when we are gone?"

Enough of rubbing salt into open wounds, though. I do think you should have a good talk with your parents, preferably, something about basic human rights, invasion of privacy and material property rights ;)

I don't know what a jer is, could you explain? >.<

Um. A jer is a jer, add a "k." And thats a jer. Um. Shouldn't have explained that.... uh oh I'm gonna get in trouble with Buffalohelp, the admin I'm sure you know. ;)
Edited by seez (see edit history)

Although this topic is old, i too have an opinion on the matter. In my opinion, what the parents did was utterly wrong. I do believe the parents weren't the wise ones here (as Watermonkey implied that they were). If i'm not mistaken, being wise means searching out for the best possible solution?with or without inconvenience?before going to the last possible solution (the one that brings sorrow and grief to loved ones). What if the dogs were scaring the cats? I know people who own both dogs and cats in the same house?how is it that they manage? What about keeping the dogs outside most of the time and the cats inside? What about keeping the dogs in one room (which i'm sure rejected wouldn't have minded if they were in his room most, if not all, of the time) and the cats in the rest of the house or in another room? If i'm not mistaken, dogs can't jump onto counters, tabletops, and other hard-or-merely-impossible-for-dogs-to-reach objects. In my opinion, the parents were selfish. I wonder just how much time the parents spend with their cats?that is, i hope they weren't hypocritical; surely they have jobs and their own things to do. I myself own four dogs, so hearing about this really gets to me.

I don't know about "wise", TF. I mean, I did imply above that they could've made a better choice about how to go about making the dogs go away. The means they used, waiting for the kid to leave for a week then giving the dogs away, were underhanded and not conducive toward future trust in their relationship with thier son. That being said, don't you think they have the right to say what animals can be in their household? They pay the bills after all... Get beyond the means for a second and put on a pair of their shoes and tell me you don't think they had any right to not want the dogs.

I don't know about "wise", TF. I mean, I did imply above that they could've made a better choice about how to go about making the dogs go away. The means they used, waiting for the kid to leave for a week then giving the dogs away, were underhanded and not conducive toward future trust in their relationship with thier son. That being said, don't you think they have the right to say what animals can be in their household? They pay the bills after all... Get beyond the means for a second and put on a pair of their shoes and tell me you don't think they had any right to not want the dogs.

I agree with you fully that they have every right to no longer want the dogs. However they must give proper and just reasons if they wanna get rid of them. No longer wanting the dogs is one thing, but getting rid of them is another. You may have said that the parents could have handled it differently, but you also have mentioned that you find them to be completely reasonable. 318520[/snapback] Where was the reasoning between all of this? If there was any reasoning between any of this, i could easily get beyond the means, but for now i base my judgment on what i am provided with until any further ignorance is dealt with. And how do you know rejected doesn't pay some bills as well? What if he comes on here and mentions that he does pay some of the bills or a percentage of the mortgage? I hope the parents took names and addresses of the people they gave them away to. A dog is a man's best friend—and in this case there were two. I don't recall any proverbs about cats being a person's best friend. Perhaps we should think about making one.

how mean!

First they're yours not theirs.

that happened to my mom though, her brother killed the dog because it was getting too big.

they probably didn't give it away because you were on vacation.

they probably did it then , because they knew you weren't there to stop them .

overall, thats mean & harsh.

anyways , they probablly had a good reason right?

maybe...

neighbors were getting mad

couldn't afford to take care of them

someone supposeley became alergic to them *coughs* lies *coughs*

not allowed where you live.

getting two big?

tell them to get you a new pet (texas = good pets are iguana or so i have heard) or something, they do owe you. it's like seeing your pet pass away. but even more worse because you know its still alive with someone else.

They just gave them away? That's pretty sad. If you liked those dogs you should have a say in wheter they should go or not. I have never had dogs but I have thought about buying one. I would never want to see something I care about be given away behind my back. I feel bad for you.

if that happened to me.
I'd demand they tell me where they are then I'd go get them back.
reading this post makes me mad.
you can take legal action against them
YOU CAN SUE THEM

as true fusion stated, this topic IS old and reading it makes me sick to my stomach. i disagree with watermonkey almost 100%. it's not the fact that giving them to a good home disturbes me, it's the fact that there was no discussion on the matter, it was out of the blue and without warning. not only that, they had to call him to tell him while he's on vacation?!?!? that's just sick in my mind....and i will tell you why.i am an animal lover by nature. i love all animals and have owned many....especially cats and dogs. my favorites were my dog trigger who is now passed on, and my current dog bruin. trigger was a truely great dog. was there for me through my hardest times. bruin....the same and possibly more so.i could never imagine, while on vacation, my parents giving up any of my dogs or animals. even if people think they deserve better attention, it's not the point because that is all relative. dogs are unselfish by nature. that's why they call them man's best friend. they are very loving and loyal. when you take in an animal, they are supposed to be part of the family. you don't get rid of a family member PERIOD! that's my opinion. if there is a problem, you work through the problem and try to find the best solution AS A FAMILY.it all also makes me sick that this was probably a plan all along before he even went away for vacation behind his back. i am assuming rejected is a teenager without looking at his profile and his parents thought that they had every right because he is living under their house and their rules. it's sad to know that there are some parents out there that don't show a certain amount of respect for their children wether they are of age or not. i hope and wish that rejected has come to terms with this after 4 years and has moved on from it. this can literally scare certain people for a long time.i don't know if the dogs were being abused or neglected or if they weren't even getting along with the cats. all those things seem like excuses to me because the parents just didn't like the dogs around and used any excuse to get rid of them.the parents originally let him have the dogs. this is what is so disturbing. they allowed him to get attached, and then snatched 'm away from him in the snap of a finger before he realized what was going on. i don't blame him for not wanting to go on that specific vacation.that is a sick and disturbing story and i wish i had seen this topic when it was written because i would have a lot more to say! this is the type of thing that just makes me ANGRY! the parents were 100% wrong and anyone saying otherwise is not looking at the whole picture!

Yeah, that is pretty sad.... we have a small little dog, and sometimes after I get home from work, I feel too tired to walk her, now I feel even worst, I will definitely stop neglecting my dog.

as true fusion stated, this topic IS old and reading it makes me sick to my stomach. i disagree with watermonkey almost 100%. it's not the fact that giving them to a good home disturbes me, it's the fact that there was no discussion on the matter, it was out of the blue and without warning. not only that, they had to call him to tell him while he's on vacation?!?!? that's just sick in my mind....and i will tell you why.
i am an animal lover by nature. i love all animals and have owned many....especially cats and dogs. my favorites were my dog trigger who is now passed on, and my current dog bruin. trigger was a truely great dog. was there for me through my hardest times. bruin....the same and possibly more so.

i could never imagine, while on vacation, my parents giving up any of my dogs or animals. even if people think they deserve better attention, it's not the point because that is all relative. dogs are unselfish by nature. that's why they call them man's best friend. they are very loving and loyal. when you take in an animal, they are supposed to be part of the family. you don't get rid of a family member PERIOD! that's my opinion. if there is a problem, you work through the problem and try to find the best solution AS A FAMILY.

it all also makes me sick that this was probably a plan all along before he even went away for vacation behind his back. i am assuming rejected is a teenager without looking at his profile and his parents thought that they had every right because he is living under their house and their rules. it's sad to know that there are some parents out there that don't show a certain amount of respect for their children wether they are of age or not. i hope and wish that rejected has come to terms with this after 4 years and has moved on from it. this can literally scare certain people for a long time.

i don't know if the dogs were being abused or neglected or if they weren't even getting along with the cats. all those things seem like excuses to me because the parents just didn't like the dogs around and used any excuse to get rid of them.

the parents originally let him have the dogs. this is what is so disturbing. they allowed him to get attached, and then snatched 'm away from him in the snap of a finger before he realized what was going on. i don't blame him for not wanting to go on that specific vacation.

that is a sick and disturbing story and i wish i had seen this topic when it was written because i would have a lot more to say! this is the type of thing that just makes me ANGRY! the parents were 100% wrong and anyone saying otherwise is not looking at the whole picture!

Very well said. agreed 100%
Because my parents say that if something happens (like if i'm in jail for hacking? :)) that they'll take my dog back to the pound and i've had him for 3 years!!
Edited by Soviet Rathe (see edit history)

I have a dog and I truly understand this, even though nobody will ever give away my dog, because I would protest and etc. But still, I have my dog for 8 years now and I know someday I will loose him.I guess when you get a dog in a family, you need to understand that you will be responsible for it for years and giving it away is nothing what I could say is right, it's the same as mother would give away her son, even though it more cruel, a dog is not just a dog, it's a family member, the best friend of a man (of course if it's not some stupid and annoying dog) :)

:) Now this post is really sad ,to have pets and leave them in care of those that you trust and know that ,your pets will be there ,when you return back home . To find out that ,they been re-homed and you do not have a clue on even finding out where hey are placed at to retrieve ,your pets back .Would be heart breaking news to me . Our pets are like our own children ,our own best friends ,a life time responsibilities ,that fills your heart up with something special ,My heart goes out to you .

My mom gave my cockapoo away a week back, and everytime i see where he used to sit and sleep i would feel like im going to cry. She claimed i wasnt doing my part for the dog which is bs. I simply cant get over it. :'(, ive tried to ask for him back but they wont...