xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
andrescasta

Problem With Your Connection & High Ping Bf2

I started playing BF2 about a month ago. Ever since then I?ve been playing it almost every day, but I?ve been getting the ?There is a problem with you connection? way too many times or sometimes I get kicked out of the server for having a high ping. I have been reading a lot trying to find a solution for this, but no luck. There seems to be some information regarding this, but I haven?t really seen too many good solutions/recommendations for the problem. I have my main computer and my son?s computer wired to a Netgear WGR614v2 (just got a new D-Link 4300 router last night). My ISP is AOL (never had any mayor problems with AOL). His computer is a 4/5 year Gateway PC. I have tried the following so far: I?ve checked both computers for virus/spyware they?re both clean. My son had Kazaa installed, but I uninstalled it so, both computers don?t have any sharing software. I updated Punkbuster I?ve turned off all firewalls or do different combinations and no luck. I?ve re-installed BF2 / patch 1.03. I opened BF2 ports in router (not with new router ? just got it last night). I?ve re-booted router & modem. One thing is for sure, when my son is using his computer, I would definitely get the connection problem. When I get the connection problem, I unplug my son?s computer and as soon as I do, the problem goes away. I installed my new D-Link 4300 router last night updated to new firmware, but I kept having the same problems as with my Netgear router. I tried a few quick settings on the router, but didn?t solve problem. I?ll try more tonight. Do you guys have any solution or recommendations for these issues. andrescasta

Though I'm not sure how disconnecting your son's computer from the LAN would be related to this, I think some people have had trouble related to their nforce4 chipset controlled network connection. You could try a secondary ethernet port, if you motherboard has one. You might also make sure that you have the latest nforce4 motherboard drives. Try running your system without nvidia active armor, if you are using your nforce4 network port and you have NAM installed. kservice

First of all make sure your net code settings are steup properly. I'm not very familiar with the netcode of Battlefield 2 but in counter-strike source for example you can put the following commands: rate 20000, cl_updaterate 101 - try to find the tutorial for optimization of the netcode for battlefield 2.

First turn the EAX off under the in game Audio and set the sound quality to low. I know this sounds wierd but I struggled with the same problem for months called my ISP several times they checked my hardware and even ran new cable lines from the telephone pole to my pc. Nothing helped but I found this suggestion after hours of searching and finding no new Ideas I tried it and runs great now haven't had a"connection problem" warning since.

I had the same problem with a house guest. I would attempt running battlefield to against her LAN connected pc. Seems there are a few options ~ packet shapers - see wikipedia article and download netlimiter on each machine, then set kb upload & download for each machine. This will restrict your sons machine to slow torrents or MSN or basic web browsing (no video/audio). A roster if probably a better way tho - allocating different nights for each PC. . . unplugging is harsh.