xisto Community
lacking_imagination

Video Capture Card Lagging

I recently got an ATI TvWonder internal video capture card for my ps2 speed runs. Now, it's a great card, and does pretty high quality recording, there's about a 1-2 second lag between pressing a button on the ps2 controller and it actually happening on screen. I currently run my s-video to the cap card box and the rca video to my TV, but that means I have to carry my tv into the living room every time I want to record.My main question is, does anyone know any tweaks to speed up the display of the streaming video?I'm running a p4 1.8ghz processor with 750mb of ram and an nvidia gforce 4, so I'm not exactly lacking in the hardware department... Are there any fixes or did I just get a slow card?

Hey there. I am also experiencing the same problem. If anyone out there knows of a fix or has any other information regarding this matter, it would be greatly appreciated.After thinking about the situation, maybe there is no fix for this. I think that the only way to have a lag-free experience is when you have a direct connection to the computer monitor. Correct me if I'm wrong, but no matter how fast your computer may be, it still has to process the incoming data and then show it on the monitor. The PS2 has a separate processing unit than the PC, so what you input on your controller will never show up in real-time on the computer's monitor. If there are any ways in minimizing the lag time, please tell us. I would love to have the possibility of playing my ps2 on my computer's screen.

You're right ameribass. The computer has to process all video coming in. That processing causes a delay, but it allows you to pause and record TV or anyother input (ex. PS2). I have a Happauge card in my computer and there is a 1-2 second delay on my computer when comparing it to TV. It is just something you have to deal with, but, in my opinion, is worth the trouble.

ps2 lag on pc

Video Capture Card Lagging

This problem depends whether the software capturing the video is buffering or not. On vlc you will experience at least 200ms of lag because it buffers 200ms of video and audio before processing it to the screen. You need a non-buffering software such as dscaler.

I had the same issue and I resolved it by pulling out Creative sound blaster Live and using the onboard SoundMax My board is a P4P800-se and now no more lagging.I'm not saying it will work for you but it did for me.

I had the same issue and I resolved it by pulling out Creative sound blaster Live and using the onboard SoundMaxMy board is a P4P800-se and now no more lagging.
I'm not saying it will work for you but it did for me.

I have a video capture card that also has a 1-2 second lag before it shows anything, but I've only ever used onboard sound. I always assumed it was just part of the way it works since the PC has to draw in and convert the signal to a viewable format...