xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Compute

Reformating Your Compute

I have lots of spyware and junk on my computer which i just cant get rid of. I want to basixly just delete everything and start all over. So i would like to reformat my computer. I would like to know how i could do it. Thanks. If you could link me to a tutorial or something like that that should help me as well.Thanks

I found this site http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ which has the basic information for reformating. I'd pay attention to what they say about dell computers if you have one. Make sure you also have a XP cd, sometimes they don't give one, and that you'll probobly have to call microsoft tell them you reformated for them to give you a new one. And it's good to check you have all your driver cds just in case so you can download any missing ones now.

I have lots of spyware and junk on my computer which i just cant get rid of. I want to basixly just delete everything and start all over. So i would like to reformat my computer. I would like to know how i could do it. Thanks. If you could link me to a tutorial or something like that that should help me as well.

Thanks

207551[/snapback]

before you reformat, you want to back up any files and programs you want to keep. after that, make sure you have a bootable cd rom OR bootable floppy so that you can boot your computer without your hard drive(remember- it will be wiped clean of EVERYTHING) and make sure you have a working copy of the operating software you wish to install. if you want to keep the same configuration that your hard drive had before(which most people do) then boot from your floppy or cd rom(to make sure your bootable disk is working) and get in to dos. type "format c:" (as long as the c drive is your hard drive) and follow the prompts(it will ask you if you are sure, etc...) and wait for your hard drive to format. after that, load your operating system. after you do that, install your drivers you were using before. MAKE SURE you have at least your modem driver because it would suck if you needed to get on the internet to find the drivers you do need and can't even do that.

this is a very basic and simple way to reformat. search google on tutorials. i just came from there and there are a few on the first search page that are good. the most important thing you can ever do though is to make sure youhave EVERYTHING you need before you reformat.

i know how adware can be hell and if you don't know how to get rid of it or at least stop them manually, then reformating is an easy solution as long as you aren't leaving behind important data. good luck to ya

-aaron

Well I almost never fully restore my computer I only do it if my computer has serious problems. But you can alway try Windows restoration that is installed in all Windows Xp. But the Viruses are almost always in the restoration files. So if it says Restoration Failed then you have to Restore you computer complete. I use the restoration Cd?s that I have got sience I bought mine computer. B)So I think that this is the best way to do it and I am doing it. B)

Im not familiar with other OS other than Windows.. so if you want to format your HD and install a Windows XP and if this Windows XP intaller of yours is also a boot CD. This is what you have to do..First back up important documents you have...Insert the WINDOWS XP cd and let it autorun then follow instruction on how to install a fresh WINDOWS XP. During the course of the new installation you will be ask if whether to format the HD and it will even ask you whether to create a new partition... then after that it will continue installation but of course format first your HD. Then you have a new WINDOWS XP without trojan, malware, adware and viruses. The first progam you should install into your system after OS installation is antivirus, anti-spyware and other security programs B) so you won't go the back to installing a fresh WINDOWS XP B) good luck...

Dell computer is easy to format. Just put the disk in reboot. THen press F12 then press boot from disk. After that just format and install windows then it should basically be it. Then when you get on your desktop install your dell resource disk then after that your basically done with OS and most of your drivers. Then just update and install your other programs and your set.

Formatting is just a part to revive or refresh your system, hence make sure that you have the WIndows Installation disc as well as the drivers for your motherboard and devices (if none you can download then anyways on their website).Best formatting software would be the one available from your hard drive manufacturer, you can get it from them for free (of course through downloading)Update us here if you need more assistance