xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
andrescasta

Ide 7200 Or Not

Guys right now I have two Ide drives running at 7200 rpm. I use my pc for mostly gaming and I know that faster drives are only benefitial to those who use certain programs. Now if i was to get a SCSI drive of 15k or 10k would that be faster for my games? Would it make my pc generally faster. I know that the IDE and SATA II and SATA are supposed to be faster but no drive actually takes use of their bandwith capabilities. So its down to RPM's of the drive which make it faster. Which Drive could I get which has the most rpm's and is quite cheap too? Size dosent matter as long as its bigger than 40gb but doesnt have to be large like 300gb. 40-50 gb is fine.andrescasta

If you want to stay cheap then you can kiss scsi good-bye. Other than the small scsi drives, 36 gb and 73 gb, your looking at $300 plus. Even some 73 gb are 300 plus. More memory will make your computer run faster. Less the computer uses the swap file the better. The only thing a faster hard drive will do is lower your boot times by a couple seconds. Stay with what you got and look into upgradeing other components that will give you a better speed increase.kservice

Your best bet to stay in a reasonable price range is SATA. It is faster that IDE and it supports faster rotation speeds. Look at the Western Digital Raptors. They connect with SATA and rotate at 10000 rpms. If you want even faster than that you should look into making a hardware RAID 0.