xisto Community
moldboy

Biggest Waste Of Power...

What is something you have done on your computer that would qualify as the biggest waist of its ability? (Other then sitting idle) For me it would be installing DOS 6.22 and Win 3.1 on a 2.21ghz AMD Athlon XP 3200+ computer with 512mb RAM!

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Title correction.
Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

Biggest waste of power huh? Well.... I don't know if all these programs have any effect on how much power is being used, but I know that last time I had this many open at once and was running off the battery, it ate up my time pretty fast, so I'm guessing that somewhere in here there is a waste of power lol B)Let's see here, I have Dreamweaver open, 8 internet windows, Photoshop, 2 MSN windows, Media Player (which is playing rather loudly, but through head phones where I can hear the words in the songs, even when they are about two feet away from my head.), a notepad open and my programs file folder open as well.Considering that I'm using very little of these windows... and some I haven't used at all today, yet they've remained open, I'm thinking this is a nice big waste of cpu power.

This is a rather pointless topic. Few people would buy a powerful computer just to use DOS and early Windows versions on it, and as for those of us who have later operating systems installed, the least you could probably do (aside from idling) would be to write something in a basic text editor program (such as notepad). It doesn't get much simpler/more basic than that.

I love to install old OSs and programs on new hardware and see how much faster and/or stabler it runs and also how far I can push it. Yeah you can always run an emulator or virtual machine to install old programs and OSs but its just not the same.I have a AMD 1.8ghz with 1gb DDR & a dvd+-RW, everything else is onboard and there is no hd I have it pluged into a 16 port switch and I have 9 other skeleton computers (no HD) running a cluster linux OS on a boot floppy & cdrom. I access all of it with a usb flash drive and it has all my Live apps, I also use several boot floppies and cd or dvd roms. I have a new laptop (sony vaio windows xp pro) & a desktop (HP 3.2ghz win xp pro) that stay "Normal", but I love my old stuff.

waste of power on my PC? I think as long as what you are doing or running on the system is doing something that is beneficial to you then we cannot consider that as a waste, you may have installed DOS on a pretty powerful system, the question now would be what is the use of that DOS, are you running something on that and it will benefit you? If yes then it's not a waste after all.So I think I have not done something that is wasteful on my computer yet or maybe I am just not aware of it, waste of time I know there's lots of it.

The biggest waste of poower on my PC would be trying to install windows 95 on my new computer. An AMD64 3800+ with 2GB DDR SDRAM. The CD i used was kinda ugly. The surface was scratched very badly, but I still wanted to install it, just to re-live my days when Windows 95 was still popular. B)

I'm always wasting my PC power. I have XP as most of you know. But I'm wasting alot of my PC power. Why? Because I have 64-bit and the 64-bit XP hasn't got alot of device supported