xisto Community
Cerebral Stasis

Ups Vs Fedex A vent concerning postal shipping.

UPS (United Postal Service) and FedEx (not sure what that stands for) are the two major shipping services here in the United States. On Friday, I ordered a new PocketPC, some extra flash memory, and a flash memory-to-USB adapter from New Egg. I knew that, in order to get the package here on time (I will be leaving for a [boring] trip early tomorrow morning and won't return until late Sunday night), I would need to use next day shipping (since it takes awhile for the shipping info to clear the New Egg office/warehouse). I saw about a 5 dollar difference between the UPS and FedEx next day options, so I thought "hey; a penny saved is a penny earned" and went with the cheaper; UPS. Early Monday, I recieved an email alerting me that my request was processed and had been shipped. However, here it is; the day after the package was shipped, and I still haven't gotten it! This has really served to infuriate me and spoil my day. I paid about $28 for something that would have cost around $5 to $10 in shipping and handling in order to get it on time, just to find out that the *bad word hoe* UPS didn't keep their side of the financial bargain to get me the package in the alotted time. I should have realised that one gets what one pays for, and that FedEx is naturally way better than UPS (FedEx has a habit of getting packages to their destinations ahead of time; pretty much every time), but regardless of my trying to take the more affordable route, UPS still should have gotten the package to me as I paid for. One thing is sure; it will be a cold day in Hell when I next use UPS to ship my purchases.UPS, in my mind, now stands for "Uncaring Postal Screwovers."If you ever require something to be shipped (and have a choice), listen to the word of the wise (so to speak) and go FedEx (an extra dollar or two is worth it)!

Well I have never tried DHL but they are supposed to be good. I don't know if it is fully UPS' fault though. What if Macintosh sent the package to you though. Maybe they said they had but had forgotten to or something. That happened to me once when I bought baseball cards online. I was supposed to get it within a week but 3 weeks past before I finally got it. They had said they sent it and the money was cashed but it wasn't sent really. Did UPS give you a tracking code? If they did check the status to see what happened. You could email UPS as well to see what happened or complain. I hope you find something to do.

If I have to ship a rather large item, then I'll ship with UPS. However, that is rarely the case and I usually just go with USPS. My package/letters get to their destination when they say they will and everything costs extremely less. I still don't understand why the "big name" shipping business have to charge so much.

I've worked in a FEDEX call centre before, we had nicknames for our rivals:

DHL - Deliver Half-way Lost

UPS - Undelivered Pending Shipment

I'm no longer working there, but IMHO, i think FEDEX is the best out there. The online shipment tracking system is very close to being real-time. DHL & UPS is having a hard time keeping up to be frank.

One of my friend had the worst experience with TNT. I'll let his pictures do the talking:-

Posted Image

Oooh....

Posted Image

Helloooo there.........

Posted Image

OMG.....

B)B):P:PB)B)

Poor guy......

well... to me.... i dont' really care if it's fedex or Ups. But this one time, when my brother ordered something. Fedex doesn't have the key to his appartment. So they had they left it outside. Lucky, it wasn't stolen.

Well they have a new system now that if someone doesn't come to their door they will take the package and leave a little thing on your door telling you a package arrived and when you can pick it up or they can deliver it again to your house. This is to keep people from stealing packages in case someone is on vacation. All the of the delivery companies have their good and bad qualities.

One of my friend had the worst experience with TNT. I'll let his pictures do the talking:-

I have never heard of TNT but it might not be their fault. the person sending the printer might not have used the proper packaging for the printer. I don't see the "Fragile" on the box either. It doesn't always have to be the fault of the delivery guy. lol I am not saying it isn't their fault they should be more cautious with there packages, but that could have been dropped on the way to the post office to be delivered or whatever. You never know. I guess the key thing here is to learn not to order printers by mail.

I have had bad experiences with both FedEx and UPS, more so with FedEx. I have been unexpectedly charged large fees a few times for small things and both of them have been late with a few packages. Right now I use UPS more often than I use FedEx just because I have had less problems with UPS. I am soon going to start using DHL, perhaps I won't have as many problems with them.

I've heard (or in some cases read) a whole ton of bad reports on both companies, so I'm not really sure which one would be better, but I'm assuming no matter which route you decide to go from the beginning, you are always running the risk of slow or even worse - damaged goods being delivered to you.I actually have something on the way right now that I purchased online last Monday. It estimated that it would be here within less than 7 days. Well, it's been more now. I thought I'd give it one more day and then I plan to do some phoning around to see how things are coming about.I always liked the joke that UPS and FedEx were going through a merger and were changing the name to FedUP to reflect both names. Still makes me chuckle even today and I haven't even heard that in so long. My mother used to tell me that one when she used to have to deal with lots of shipments from her work place. Since she's switched jobs, I haven't really heard much about delivery companies.

Well they have a new system now that if someone doesn't come to their door they will take the package and leave a little thing on your door telling you a package arrived and when you can pick it up or they can deliver it again to your house.  This is to keep people from stealing packages in case someone is on vacation.  All the of the delivery companies have their good and bad qualities. 

I have never heard of TNT but it might not be their fault.  the person sending the printer might not have used the proper packaging for the printer.  I don't see the "Fragile" on the box either.  It doesn't always have to be the fault of the delivery guy. lol  I am not saying it isn't their fault they should be more cautious with there packages, but that could have been dropped on the way to the post office to be delivered or whatever.  You never know.  I guess the key thing here is to learn not to order printers by mail.

207398[/snapback]

FedEx policy is that they won't leave a package, it has to be signed for to complete it in the tracking system. They'll leave a note and come back. Now, UPS, as far as I know, will just leave a package (they left my $300 replacement cell phone on my porch, in a clearly marked t-mobile box, in the worst part of town.)

As for the damaged goods... I work in a fedex shipping/distribution hub. What people don't realize is the shipping companies are very, very high voulme daily (our hub handles 23,000+ packages daily). Even if a packages is labeled fragile, it isn't always given the best treatment. Honestly, shippers need to pack better. Don't blame the courier, though, as it's 99% of the time not their fault. A lot of damaged goods are either that way when they are sent, or they are dropped accidentally in the hub, and not packed well enough to prevent damage.

Also, late packages can be due to multiple problems... It can be because the shipper got it out late, and it didn't make it in time for the flight to the next distrobution center. It can be due to mislabeling or their label printer being dirty and the label not printing correctly. There are many reasons why packages can be late, but those are the main ones. Or there not being a person to receive the package.

While the shipping industry is not perfect, a lot of the issues are from shippers using old/bad boxes and not packing correctly.

Personally, I prefer FedEX over UPS.I'm a lazy a$$ and don't usualy go shopping malls looking for the things I need, so I normally do online shopping. I've had experienced that UPS's shipping system is jsut very slow. A pakage which could be delivered in 5 days took them a week and a half.As for FedEX, the pakage arrived before i could even notice it. I was very impressed with the srvice they provide and would recommend it to anyone. B)

Just a little update; the reason I didn't recieve the package on time is because the UPS plane missed my package, even though I paid good money for it to get there (here) on time. All in all, I wasted at least fifteen dollars by putting my trust in UPS (possibly even more, since the package itself was mostly intended to entertain me during this vacation).

Did you complain wanting to get the money back that you spent on a service you didn't recieve? I would have emailed them the second I found out about that. You never know maybe they saved you from having it stolen. Probably not but hey it could happen. I guess UPS is falling behind in the competition.