xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
grrlfromoz

Van Helsing The Movie

Van Helsing was released today on DVD (10/19). I'm going out today to pick up my copy. I didn't much care for it when I saw it the one time in the theater. But I've rented VanHelsing: The London Assignment and the VanHelsing game for PS2, so now I want to see the movie again. Heh, go figure. That's what you call good marketing! Plus I really want to see Richard Roxburgh (Moulin Rouge) as Dracula. He was the best character in the whole thing I thought--though I went for Hugh Jackman. I dunno, I still have mixed feelings on whether it's a good movie or not. Did anybody else have this problem?

Allow me to seperate your feelings.Van Helsing was awful. High budget but its story was overly camp. In the 40's or 50's it would've worked but it, like Sky Captain, fail miserably because its not what the public wants to see anymore.Don't waste your money. Get Blade.

Good call DarkWarrior, love Blade. :rolleyes:Well I watched VH last nite and *sigh* I'm just still not happy with it. I mean I think the premise is good, and the choice of actors was good, but the end product just still leaves me wanting more. Dare I say too much action, flame, and lightning? I wished they would have had time to develop the characters more. I wanted a moment to breathe and say, "All right, I understand where the VanHelsing character is coming from." I mean, yeah I get he's got a past he doesn't remember *coughWolverinecough* and feels "passionate" to kill monsters, but what reeeeally is going on with him. We only get to see glimpses of images of characters, never having time to get into the actual driving forces behind them.I think they must have thought that they were going to make another movie, so then the'd be able to give us what was missing in the first, but I'm really not sure if they're going to make a second one. Rumor is, they aren't. I don't think Sommers (the director) should have held back on this one like it feels to me that he did. But on the other hand, it's supposed to be a fun movie filled with Universal Creatures, so in that case, I'll agree it's a romp. *nods* Just still feels a bit off to me...

Its just another corny action movie. I was laughing so hard at the scene where the baby vampires exploed. It doesnt get any cornier than that :rolleyes:

I really liked Van Helsing.I thought it was a pretty good movie, better than Spiderman (both) for instance.But then again, I'm in love with Kate Beckinsale, shame she doesn't use her English accent in the movie :rolleyes:

Turns out I may have guessed wrong. *gasp* What me wrong? no!

I figured there wouldn't be a sequel. Well...

Whether Van Helsing will come back to life on the big screen remains a mystery. Jackman says he signed on for a sequel but has yet to learn whether his monster hunter will have another mission.
The estimated $160 million-budgeted film was a disappointment at the U.S. box office, bringing in about $120 million. DVD success could hold the sequel's fate.

Okay so he's already signed on, but will the DVD be released successfully?

Universal Home Video's Van Helsing sold more than 2.5 million combined DVD and VHS units during its first day on store shelves Tuesday, generating an estimated $50 million in gross consumer spending, says The Hollywood Reporter.
The Hugh Jackman actioner is on track to become the nation's top-selling home video this week, with sales estimates to exceed 5 million combined DVD and VHS units.

Heh so whadduya know, they might continue the story. Underworld didn't do so well in the theaters either, but because of the DVD sales, they're doing a second one. (Freakin loved Kate in Underworld. I wanted be her soo much LOL) Maybe they'll be able to fix the character devel but I don't think there will be an end to the Sommers' corny-ness any time soon!

I really wanted to enjoy Van Helsing. The preview and everything was brilliant and I just really want to enjoy it! It seemed like my kind of movie but when I went and saw it in the Cinema it really didn't impress me at all. I still have to see it a second time and I still, for some reason, am looking forward to it and hope that I'll enjoy it more.