xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Duckey

C++ Is It Really That Hard?

Ok, last year when I was a sophmore in high school I took programming and the lanuage that we learned was VB and it was so easy. But this year I am going to take an indepentent study and learn C++ with one of my friends. But the bad thing is, is that the teacher doesnt even know how to use C++ so it is just me and my friend. Should I be worryed about anything?

Not really... C and C++ does use some advanced coding but you should get the hang of it pretty easily...Although, if the teacher doesn't understand C/C++, you'll have a little trouble getting support if you need it...

I would say that if you come from a programming background, since you've already programmed in VB, you would get hang of things pretty fast. But you've got to be aware that C/C++ are less forgiving than VB is. You have to know what you are doing. Only practice can make you close to perfect here B)

Yeah. Like at the end of the program, if you forget to type "end" it would never end the program, causing major errors when it reaches the end because there's nothing to do! So you have to use an "end" command.

in a way it does B)first how would u learn if ur teacher does not know c++..if your first programming language is VB then you would at least find c++ strange and cumbersome but it is realy not...why?VB is a window based programming which combines both event and procedural method.. while c++ is pure procedural... if programmming in Windows, in c++ you will be the one to create your window technicaly, what i mean is you are the one to register it to windows and everything else and this makes the job long.. unlike VB all you need to do is create a form or a window and do the coding in every event like clicking and scrolling..but in the end c++ is a very powerful language today.. it may not be that very easy to learn but still it is easy and worth the effort.. good luck...

Yeah that'll help alot- I learnt C++ from a book focusing on .NET and pretty much just learnt from my own mistakes... I learnt it alright, but it took forever and was so frustrating!!On that note, be careful that you stick to standard C++ and not the .NET extensions while you're still learning. Although it's easier at first, it skips over some fundamentals that are very important later.Make sure you utilize a book as well. Also I went from VB to C++ (with a slight detour through Java) and it wasn't all that bad. Especially if you've finished high school :Pall the best!

Yeah. Like at the end of the program, if you forget to type "end" it would never end the program, causing major errors when it reaches the end because there's nothing to do! So you have to use an "end" command.

I've been working with C/C++ for a while, and I have no idea what you're talking about. The following is perfectly legal:
#include <stdio.h>int main(){printf("Hello, world!");return 0;}

When you run it in the command prompt, it will print Hello, world! and end.

C and C++ probably are the best next steps from VB. I, for one, never actually learned VB because my school did not offer it but they did offer C, C++, and Java. Start with the basics and even if something appears to be useless and tedious, still do it. In the end you will be surprised where those concepts and code and ideas come in handy. If you need help post here or PM me since im actually as Sophmore in college majoring in computer science and i have had plenty of classes in C++ along with more advanced languages like Lisp. But start with the basics and learn to debug especially with cout statements and such cause in the long run it will make your life a lot easier and you wont be dependant on the software you are using to compile. Once you have the basics of the syntax and know if statements and switches, loops, variables, and finally structures, start learning classes cause they are the main difference in C++ from C and they are the most useful thing ever. Once you have mastered and i mean mastered classes, start learning data structures like linked list and trees and hash tables.Finally, one last hint of advice: DO NOT USE THE STANDARD TEMPLATE LIBRARY for anything you have not learned how to code yourself. Yes, theirs is quicker and more optimized but you need to understand everything it does or else you will hit errors and not be able to fix them.

Hello. Unfortunately in the scool we use C++. Oh my Got...I hate it...it so hard, isn`t it? I have some classmates, who like that language, and they know it very well, but mostly the peoples doesn`t like it.

Ok, last year when I was a sophmore in high school I took programming and the lanuage that we learned was VB and it was so easy. But this year I am going to take an indepentent study and learn C++ with one of my friends. But the bad thing is, is that the teacher doesnt even know how to use C++ so it is just me and my friend. Should I be worryed about anything?

C/C++ are kind easy after you get used to it.

It should not take that much time untill you get use to it.

good luck

I think Visual Basic is a complete waste of time, you can do all the same things in C++ plus a ton more, also C++ is closely related to PHP and makes it a whole lot easier to learn PHP and other languages, also, VB has lots of shortcuts you can use for commands, but then you get into bad habits when trying to learn C++.Well that's my opinion.

It's all relative. I took Java first and C is basically the same so i picked it up quicker than most. But then there's the payoff that Java was a b1tch to learn. So if you know something about some programmign language, C won't be as difficult as not knowing anything about coding. I must say, tho, scanf is so much easier than havign to worry about that stupid Java tokenizer. :(

For a willing mind nothing is too hard. I think this sums up well what you are curious about. The simplest way to understand C and C++ is that it is a bit more advance than HTML coding. If you have understood HTML, you would probably know it needs abit of extra attention. And the same goes with all sort of programming languages. Learn slowly, and practice alot. This will help you greatly.