xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
selim

Connecting A Ps2 To A Laptop. How to do it?

I'm not sure if this is the right place for it but I want to know if it's possible to connect my Playstation 2 to my laptop through the s-video output port so that it displays on the laptop screen. Surely there must be a program out there that can do it. Thanks for the help.

It is not possible to have you PS2 display on your laptop's screen through your laptop's S-Video output. As you mentioned the port is an output not an input. Your only other option is to purchase a TV tuner. You would need one that is USB based. With that you could receive video input from many sources. The only issue with that solution is that you would experience a 1-2 second lag between the time you pressed a button on your controller and the time you saw the event on your laptop's screen (that would make playing games very annoying).

Yeah, what Joshua132 said is very true. I have a PVR (the tv tuner, I dont know why its called a pvr) and media center on my pc, and first I was really happy to play the xbox on it but I realized that I was getting my a** kicked in halo and it was because there is a lag, which is created by the computer decoding the video to display it on the laptops monitor. So I guess it wont ever be a hd solution to playing the next generation games :)

ps2 to laptop

Connecting A Ps2 To A Laptop Laptop.

I'm trying to remember if the ps2 has s-vid out if it does you can use a VGA to input to your laptop - fn-f5 will put you on should not have lag.

-reply by steve79

i know you can do this one but youll have to mod it somehow. have seen a 360 to play in a laptop. but a mini tv is more efficient for me to be that portable. or you can buy the addon sony is selling

lots of laptops have express card slot. If I buy a tv tuner and put it in express card slot, will there still be a lag? people said me, that this tv tuners shouldn't be slow...

-reply by ww_asef

how to hook up a ps2 to your laptop screenConnecting A Ps2 To A Laptop Laptop.

I was like you searchin the forums for a "how to" run down on how to make this happen...I wanna start off and say I'mno expert with computer I'm just a nobodywho figure this out on his own thru very lil trial and error within 4-5 days...Basically this is what you need: 

free space on your computer at least a 1-2 gigs

a usb video capture card

a program like "chris tv" -this is easy to find and get but it'll probably be a trial version...

a decent understanding of your sound devices on your laptop- basically you need a good understanding of when you are turning a sound playback/record/default speaker device off or on...

and patients because when it gets down to it, it's a very simple hook-up overall...

how it worked for me... I did like you probably did search on yahoo or google for a how to guide or explaination on how to do it..You might have checked several forums you might have ask people you knew...Anyway I found on bella forums not 1 but 3 solutions to the problem/question...They were the dazzler device, the pinnacle device and finally the chris tv program...

the forum gave a general description about these devices and programs and the rest I figured out on my own...

I later got luck while going to my neighborhood electronics store and found a "vhs to dvd program" that came with exactly I was looking for...A usb video capture device...I actually wasn't sure a 100%, at the time of this discovery if this was  indeed what I needed... But I took a chance and it worked out...The free gb of space I mentioned was for this program to be installed on your computer the usb video capture device won't work by just plugging it in the laptop it has to be installed...Once that is done(which took me about 10mins.) I now had to use the chris tv program but how? I tried looking this up as well with little results in return so it was on me to figure it out...I downloaded the chris tv professional and the chris tv tweak...You only probably need the pro one though in the end...

on the driver settings you have to set it up by making sure the program reads the video capture device as an option for what device to be used for video/video capture source and sound/ both audio capture source/audio rendering device...It's really that simply, most of the work is done right there...There will be a  small "/" shape button on the player where all the buttons are there you can adjust the size...At this point you'll already know where and how to adjust the image quality just be careful...I didn't really have to do anything with my image quality...

the sound will be the biggest part of the hook up it is also simple but must be done carefully because it's not on the program that you have to worry about it so much it's more on your laptop itself...On the player once again there will be a button highlighted as the channel settings you want the settings on the audio input to be "line 1"and sound mode to be auto...

after that just configure your sound devices on your computer...Your speakers on the laptop have properties so make your adjustments there and also on the recording devices you probably want to enable that for the chris tv program...If your speaker properties mention a micro phone you probably want to turn it down/low or off altogether...That's it that's all I can say for that...

good luck...  

-reply by whatuwanted2hear

Ok, It is possible to play your PS2 on your laptop. I just ordered this item off of ebayPC VGA to S-Video AV RCA TV Out Converter Adapter CableCheck the specs on your laptop, and make sure its VGA Compatible. If so, then you're ready to play your PS2, Xbox 360, or Dreamcast on your laptop screenYou can buy it here:http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=PC%20VGA%20to%20S%20Video%20AV%20RCA%20TV%20Out%20Converter%20Adapter%20Cable&_itemId=330350639311 by Kadou

It's not at all possible to connect a PS2 to a LAPTOP/PC...alsoI tried to use PS2 as a DVD ROM.. It's also not possible, 'coz it reads only specific format of disks..