xisto Community
franklinweb

what is Content Management System What kind of CMS do you like?

What is a CMS?

A content management system (CMS) is a computer software system for organizing and facilitating collaborative creation of documents and other content. A content management system is frequently a web application used for managing websites and web content, though in many cases, content management systems require special client software for editing and constructing articles. The market for content management systems remains fragmented, with many open-source and proprietary solutions available.

What kinds of CMS do you have?

There are a lot of CMS. Opensourcecms has organized all the famous CMS. Take a look:

- PHPnuke

- Dragonfly

- Geeklog

- Mambo

Maybe heard of it, it's a many sided structure. You can put Stories, Profiles, Downloads etc. on it.

How to install?

First you have to know is little bit php and database settings.

Second need a nice host (like this one Xisto.com) for database and php support. Third make you CMS to you own flavour. Example modify the color make stories.

At my previous host they didn't support CGI formats so I came to here.

Recources:

http://www.opensourcecms.com/index.php

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_Management_System

Maybe you think it sucks but for me it's a easy job!

Succes with it,

Franklinweb

Notice from jlhaslip:
In future postings, please use quote tags for material which is not your own. I have added the quotes around the definition found on the Wikipedia site. Because you are new and because you referenced your sources, this a verbal warning only.
Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)

Maybe you think it sucks but for me it's a easy job!

Right, easy and quick way to get the job done. But I prefer to hand-code my sites, since I'm a proffesional B) Just kidding!It's ok to use CMS, but only after you know every detail of it and know how to use it properly. If you can create your own templates, that's a big plus too.
I've used mambo open source, and was pleased with it until I wanted to create valid code (HTML). This was not possilble using CMS like Mambo without some serious coding (and I didn't need all of the features of it), so I decided to do it by hand.
But, in my opinion CMS' have bright future, since people want results fast those days. They want their site up and running with all those fancy features in no time. That's where CMS can really be of assistance.
However, proffesionals either create their own CMS' or buy it from someone.

I like using CMS' that are already made by somebody because I don't know PHP (wish I did). I like e107 the most. After that Mambo is ok, and so are ones like phpNuke. I haven't tried very many CMS' to tell you the truth because the ones I try usually work just fine. I always have trouble trying to get CMS' to work with forums. I can't get the usernames and passwords to be the same on both!

Well I used CuteNews for a while. It was pretty simple but missing a few things like the emoticons. They make things easy for you but I like just putting text in myself. I don't know why but I do. I have been thinking about making my own content management system though. I probably ought to learn php first. lol

Just a note, Mambo CMS, is now Joomla! CMS : http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ got renamed/ Re-branded.It abssicly carried on the last release of MAmbo, and added some fixes to it, and released it as Joomla! 1.0. So development now continues under that etc.The latest is 1.03. Its a an excellent CMS, with a huge community of support. Tons of themes, modules components etc. Truely excellent B)

Wow thanks for replying B)

jlhaslip sorry man but did you see resources?

206903[/snapback]

It doesn't matter if you listed your resources. The reason why you have to use the quote tags when you copy something verbatim is to prevent you from gaining credits that you did not earn. Everything inside the quote or code tags is not counted towards your credits. If everyone got away with copying and pasting, then we'd have people who can gather up 1000s of credits in a matter of hours.

I have been using Mambo for a while now and I really like it. It is fast feature rich, and most importantly, FREE. It takes a little while to get used to it (the mambots, modules and components, templates and all the other stuff), but once you get used to it, you'll find it's really great. I just wish that it had better versioning control (and I knew how to use it). I love Mambo, I will use it as long as there is a community.

I like using Wordpress since you don't even have to know HTML or anything about the Internet in order to use it (well, except for installation and modifying how it looks). However, there are some annoying bits about Wordpress if you're using the page functions and trying to write out tutorials or something like that. But, besides those little things, I think Wordpress has a lot of functions and it's a really good system :)

Hi im new here and wanna share my thoughts about CMS. Since my early years in web developing, i've used alot of CMS, PHP-Nuke, PostNuke, Mambo and now Joomla!. Mambo was one of the best CMS i've ever used. Since it is very much supported by millions of open-source community, it made Mambo best. Hacking Mambo components are easy too, just like the one that adds friendster like ability to the CMS. But for people that will organize 1 Million+ users, Mambo is not advisable. Its users' list is using a drop down menu in the administration, imagine 1Million drop down entries?

At the moment I'm using 3 CMS's for 4 sites. I use PHP nuke for a clansite for a friend of mine, the skin it uses only works with PHP Nuke and that's probably the only reason I'm using PHP Nuke for it ;)For two other sites, one league site and another clansite (for my own clan) I am using CPG Dragonfly. I like this CMS because it is much faster and stabler then PHP Nuke, as well as a lot harder to hack... It's also very good for big community sites, which my league site and my clansite are...For my OTHER site ( :) ) I'm using Land Down Under (LDU, same as eleghost). It's very easy to make templates for it, and also great for smaller (Less community driven) sites, but you can use it for big sites as well...

I personally love textpattern as my CMS. It validates as XHTML Transistional and is really easy to install, customize and use. There's a fantastic community for TP and makes life a lot easier, with hundreds of plugins available for use, like easy sIFR for those who cannot use it.