xisto Community
prashant

Rdbms Market Big players in RDBMS Market

I was looking about all the Market recognized RDBMS.I know a very few of them.1. Oracle2. Microsoft SQL Server3. IBM DB24. Sun's CloudSpace5. MySQL6. PostgreSQL.7. Microsoft Access. ( I wonder if Microsoft Excel is an RDBMS)8. NCR TeradataWhat are the other big player in the RDBMS Market ?Out of these I found MySQL to be the most comfortable one.Oracle, Teradata, DB2 , I , suppose they are meant for only huge companies and not a website backend.Anyone has any idea what RDBMS does Hotmail, Yahoo, Rediff, Gmail all these companies use ?So sorry for unintentionally posting it in here.I was reading someone's request for Free Hosting and then I started posting the topic.Let me know if I got the right to move it to the intented space.

I think RDBMS (Relational Database Management Systems) is kindda standard database architecture.. It's just providing a standard way to retrieving, storing, deleting and arranging data in the database that many databases recognise this standard so as to run anywhere..

Here's what I've found about RDBMS...
http://linuxfinances.info/info/rdbms.html

And also, you had definately started this topic is the wrong forum. This forum is to let people to request for new webhosting account, hence other topics shouldn't be here..

Inspiron: You're partially right in describing RDBMS - indeed the whole concept of Relational Databases arises out of E. F. Codd's 12 rules of Relational Data Management ( A Relational Model of Data for Large Shared Data Banks ). Those rules are supposed to be the basis of most true RDBMS, but many of the more popular systems in the market don't follow all of them...

In general opinion is divided about which is a true RDBMS and which is NOT.. but for most part popular enterprise level packages (with SQL support) like MySQL, Oracle, PG-SQL, MS-SQL are all called RDBMS packages.. Infact nowadays any system that supports the tabular storage and presentation of data with various implementable relationships with the help of Keys (primary and foreign) - is called a RDBMS.

prashant: MySQL is definitely one of the most popular ones - coz it's both free and opensource and extremely easy to use. It's quite powerful too, although it'll take some more time to catch up with the real enterprise giants. My personal choices are MySQL and PostGRE-SQL.. If I was to go for a commercial alternative, then I'd definitely go for Oracle - no questions asked, coz nothing can beat it's terrific array of features and reknowned stability.

I was looking about all the Market recognized RDBMS.
I know a very few of them.

1. Oracle
2. Microsoft SQL Server
3. IBM DB2
4. Sun's CloudSpace
5. MySQL
6. PostgreSQL.
7. Microsoft Access. ( I wonder if Microsoft Excel is an RDBMS)
8. NCR Teradata

What are the other big player in the RDBMS Market ?

FileMaker Pro is a large player for consumer and small business markets. 4D is another one in that range I think.

Anyone has any idea what RDBMS does Hotmail, Yahoo, Rediff, Gmail all these companies use ?

I believe google uses a customized architecture with many nodes in a huge cluster. I'm pretty sure they didn't just slap a commercial product on top of that. Here's a paper describing the google architecture as it was in the research phase:

http://infolab.stanford.edu/~backrub/google.html

The paper says that it was coded in C and C++. It may not be relevant to its architecture today. Google (and the web) has grown a bit since then B)

In 2003 they released a more current description (available through the wayback machine for free):

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/