The New Board Can Not Support Win98? abit sg-80

the computer is :

abit sg-80 socket 755
pentium4 2.66 ghz

seagate ata 80G

geforce4 mx 4000 128M graphic card.

single 512 memory ddr 400

--
and when we install the win98se,on the step of options to choose" small install, model install," then click next step there comes a dos error:

standard-mode fault , ms-dos extenderE4857 F458 something like this

i just asked so lots of men can not help.and tried all installing ways from harddisk and cd-rom and change the 98 version.

First reaction is that the processor is really fast for w 98se. I wonder if it is a good match? my laptop runs w98se at 233 mhz only, so that processor is 10 times quicker.

Installing windows 98 on such a computer is like using an Alienware PC for word processing :\My computer at home has the same specs (Altho I might be buying a new one soon) and runs Windows XP fine...

I don't know if it's relevant, but perhaps your hard drive has been formatted for use with WinXP which I believe is FAT32. I think Win98 uses FAT16, therefore the install program for Win98 may have difficulties reading/writing to the hard drive.As I said, I don't know if it's relevant as I don't know enough hard drive formats.Personally I would run with WinXP, but if you must use Win98, you might need to reformat the hard drive using a Win98 boot disk.Hope that helps.