xisto Community
Goosestaf

Name Tags At End Of Post use the siganture section

Another Signature related Gripe. . . .
/Rant on

Why do some people, write theyre name at the edn of their post, e.g

Made up example not true, made up example not true. psot content, opsot content, and to mods, even tho this is an example i put it in quote tags, because i thought this example would count as spam, content, contrent
Goosestaf

WHY WHY WHY!

Do you know why you have a SIGNATURE section/space?. . . . to write your name in/images etc. . . .
AND its even worse when they have both. . .. i.e

Made up example not true, made up example not true. psot content, opsot content, and to mods, even tho this is an example i put it in quote tags, because i thought this example would count as spam, content, contrent
Goosestaf

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Goosestaf

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH its so stupid :lol:
i've seen Beca ask someone to reomove their name tag from posts, and i support that 100%. . . .
ok . .

/Rant off

Dear me... I think I completely agree about the redundancy of name tags. I do sign off my posts sometimes, though, with an expression such as "Cheers!" or something like that, but I am quite sure I haven't put down any name tags. I guess the only point one might make is that some users do turn the signature blocks off, and might find a name at the end of the post useful, if that name is different from the person's forum id.

I wouldn't be devastated because people use an extra name tag... but it would be nice if everyone took care to not repeat what's on their signatures, and not repeat the forum ID at the end of a post. On the other hand, I am sure it can at best amount to a trivial amount of credits (well, if you want to look at it from that angle), so I guess I am not overly bothered :lol:

Cheers!

//Ahhh.... Sorry! *sheepish grin*

That's called cheating to get a tiny bit more hosting credits.
A lot of people do that , and I know they will continue to do it. People don't read the stickies anymore, nor do they think about the consequences of putting name tags.

I've seen a lot of people's free web hosting application being rejected because they put name tags on all their posts. Thats the kind of thing that the staff doesn't tolerate, but they wouldn't listen.

Also, this includes hello tags, or whatever they're called.

>>>Hi all,<<<
this is fake post...blah

~Gyad~

I try to help out others by telling them NOT to put in name tags but I don't they'll they'll read my post, or care what I say anyways. I hope that the staff that checks the free web hosting applications reject anyone who puts those tags.

~Gyad~
er...ignore that...  B)

that purpose is to mention the person that the post is by him but not by another,the people reading the topic will know directly from the end name tag.but if you don't add it,and while the one wanna know who you are,he must read the left person info.

For some people it's just a habit, or they have turned of the signature. Maybe some even don't knowthey can place their signature in teh box. lol and for those who do know and still put it there, sneaky way to cheat

I never use a name/nick at the end of my posts. I see no point in putting a name at the end of a post, since it's at the left side of the post. It didn't even occur to me that you would get a tiny bit of credit for a word or two in a name at the end. I have seen a mod or admin mention it to some people, though, and kind of wondered why, unless it was personal information. Now I know, lol.I just use the signature, with a humorous quote in it. I try to put a smile on people's faces or make them think with most of my signature quotes. I think they're there to have fun with. I get tired of them and change them after a while usually, though. It sort of keeps it fresh, as it were. I like St. Michael's rotating sigs. I can't help but wonder how many he has in it, and how long it will be before I see them all, lol. That's assuming he doesn't just keep adding new ones into it, of course.

Finally, around Jan 3rd or so, the policy of no 'sign-off' siggies came in to effect. Yes, they are annoying and cheat the credit system a little bit, but mostly, they ae not neccesary. It is simple to add a sig block in your profile. And nobody is really sure how many sigs St Mike has, so keep reading his posts and maybe you can tell us... Check out the info in my signature abut the sign-off policy.

Some people do it just out of habit, others do it as a way to make themselves unique. to give their posts a little character if you will. personally I find a graphical signature to be more than adequate to add character to my post. (which for some reason i haven't got around to turning on for these boards yet.) ~catfish (:huh:)

I am very glad that people can not sign off with their names anymore. Even though it does not really effect me for some reason it really gets me mad. It is possibly because it is kind of unprofessional. Now that people have stopped signing off our board looks even more professional.

Finally, around Jan 3rd or so, the policy of no 'sign-off' siggies came in to effect. Yes, they are annoying and cheat the credit system a little bit, but mostly, they ae not neccesary. It is simple to add a sig block in your profile.

Care to explain why adding your name at the end of a post is so bad that it deserves handing out a warning? Just sounds a bit too totalitarian for my liking.

Care to explain why adding your name at the end of a post is so bad that it deserves handing out a warning? Just sounds a bit too totalitarian for my liking.

I'm not saying that this must be why, but I'm thinking that it's probably just because it's been mentioned as part of the rules, that you shouldn't be doing it, so if there's still people out there who are doing it, then it's obvious that they aren't reading the rules. So maybe it's more that they're being warned for not reading the rules, or thinking that no one will notice, than it is about the adding your name at the end of a post.

Yeah, just my take on things. I for one think it's stupid and pointless and demonstrates glowingly how stupid some people can be. But like I said, I'm still a newbie round here, so...

well, its not like we come at them with full combat gear. The 'warning' is usually a polite request to please don't do that, use the sig block instead, and most members do it that way, so nothing becomes of it.

cant see the harm in signaturing you post. if its a habit its innocent i think... if it is a sentence like:

well bbye be bye se you soon, love you, thanks for reading my post,
nani cheri 1234 (K)(K) ::::__::: etc.

Then I understand the problem yes...

But I bet people don't even thought about that their name could be influencing the anmount of credits they get for their post

I hate it, too! That's what the signature is for! Why would you want to post your name there...Just a quick question: If we see that, should we report the message to a moderator?

yes, you should report the post to a mod, just make sure you explain why you are reporting it...but since it is a small offense and if they are new here (and only if they are new here) i generally PM them and esplain to them that they should be using their Sig Block to use signatures and most of them say that they didn't know they had one and that they didn't know how to add them on...then i just refer them to this tutorial here http://forums.xisto.com/topic/33891-putting-a-signature-on-the-forum-a-tutorial-on-how-to-put-a-signature-on-here/

which shows them how to add a signature to their signature block :) but for some reason i know that most of them did know about it but just wanted to get the extra .01 credit :P then i just remind them that it can give them a warning, rejecting their hosting if they have too many warnings..

Edited by Albus Dumbledore (see edit history)