xisto Community
jack

How To Delete An Undeleatable File... on your computer

Open a command prompt window and leave it open. Close all open programs. Click Start, Run and enter TASKMGR.EXE - go to the Processes tab and End Process on Explorer.exe. Leave Task Manager open. Go back to the Command Prompt window and change to the directory the AVI (or other undeletable file) is located in. At the command prompt type DEL <filename> where <filename> is the file you wish to delete. Go back to Task Manager, click File, New Task and enter EXPLORER.EXE to restart the GUI shell. Close Task Manager.Jack.

main problem with 'undeletable files' is that they are read only. other possibility is that they are in use by a process, quite possible a windows required process. the only way to get rid of that, is to write an app (or find one) to delete it on startup, before the process that uses the file is called. if anyone needs and example app, ill be happy to write it.

Another method that sure works is to boot up your computer to DOS mode. And delete the file(s) like working on a command prompt.Loading Windows makes alot of system files undeletable.Otherwise, use HijackThis program.

well,you could also change its name and move it to another disk then delete directly or by taskmgr.also from safe mode to enter your system to delete them...if certain .dll file could not be deleted.you can also use regsvr32 command to uninstall it.

e.g regsvr32 /u d:/program/*.dll

well,you could also change its name and move it to another disk then delete directly or by taskmgr.also from safe mode to enter your system to delete them...if certain .dll file could not be deleted.you can also use regsvr32 command to uninstall it.

e.g regsvr32 /u d:/program/*.dll

205738[/snapback]

however, if the file is in use by a process, you cannot rename, move, or delete the file. You have to edit it while the process is not running.

There is a utility named "deletedr.exe" which I use. (Available off a download site @ www dot diskcleaners dot com) It has never failed me, yet. Occasionally you run across a file that requires a re-start to delete, but deletedr has worked every time.

Occasionally you run across a file that requires a re-start to delete

205756[/snapback]

yea, those are the ones in use by processes at the moment.

Also if you want to securely delete the files (no chance at recovery regardless of what software you try), you could try such freeware utitlities such as SDelete ( http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ ) . Again, thats only if you have sensitive information contained in the files (credit card numbers, financial data), and you dont want someone snooping around.

yes... deletedr.exe is an alternative for the built in windows delete utility. What are you trying to say? Booting up with a cd is just a command prompt. what do you mean by "terminated the explorer.exe" ? explorer.exe is the windows shell, which is just the interface such as the desktop and the taskbar. I dont see it mentioned anywhere on this topic

I have also encountered this problem couple of times and this is what let me delete the file everytime, this is only for Windows Operating System.Take note and copy the filename of that problematic file including the extension name, if you are not aware of the extension name, open My Computer, at the top menu click on Tools, then Folder Options, go to View Section and uncheck ?Hide Extensions for known file types?. Click Apply and OK to exit, you should now see the whole filename.Now, open Notepad then create a file, you don?t need to put anything on it, save it with a filename that is the same as the undeletable file in a different folder (if shall we say you have undeletable abc.avi then name the txt file as abc.avi, it will prompt you if you?re sure about this, just press yes). Windows will now see the same file as the undeletable one, copy this on the same directory wherein the undeletable file is located and overwrite it. After that you can now delete the file.This worked for me many times and I hope it will on you too. B)

then name the txt file as abc.avi, it will prompt you if youre sure about this, just press yes).

Windows will now see the same file as the undeletable one, copy this on the same directory wherein the undeletable file is located and overwrite it. After that you can now delete the file.

206075[/snapback]

Hey, that's an interesting approach to the problem. But as mentioned above, I wouldn't want to do that to a critical system file which is currently being used, know what I mean. Some windows files get re-created on start up if they are not found, but I don't think I would be deleting a running file this way. Might cause some grief.

In case someone dosen't like putting tons of programs like a deleting program(like me), you should try Start > Run > type msconfig and head to the startup menu, lets you take away those files which have restarting processes. Then restart your computer, wipe the hostile files, and live happy : ).

Sometimes all of these methods don't work. I remember having a troublesome file that wouldn't wanna get deleted. I've tried all of the above in order to delete the file, but none of them worked. But i managed to delete it anyways. It was funny in the end.Though, now i'm having a problem with an empty folder! :) It amazes me on how an empty folder can be in use.