xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
wwwescape

Xfx 6600 Non Ultra : The Next Solid Card

Nvidia is rocking the mid range gaming market all over the world with GeForce 6600GT, this card is not only really good bang for the buck, providin most value for money, it can even be overclocked higher to give even more perforance easily,

However, now the things have changed, nvidia is soon going to release their Geforce 7600 card, but still for the rocking mid range, they have just released Geforce 6600 non Ultra with cheap DDR2 memory

this card is a lot cheaper to produce then before, XFX has launched their card which is already factory overclocked for free, at an unbelivable $99, which in India will be availble for 7 to 8k

Toms hardware has done a review of the card

http://www.tomshardware.com/t/graphics/

& judging by that, this sure is a solid performar, since they were able to overclock to more then GT stock speeds, with no bad influence on the card

The stock speed of this card is 400/800, but safely it can be overclocked to 500/900, or even more. The card mentioned here has the model numbar PV-T43P-UDS7

The bad thing is that this card can be a real boon to the AGP users,but their is no AGP varient for this card, atleast not yet, maybe with demand, NVIDIA will release AGP version with a bridge chip

the 6600s dont have the same number of pixel and vertex pipelines therefore being slower than their bigger brothers.However nVidia did just released the 6800GS which uses a new core and a newer fabrication process, the same used in the 7xxx series. Cards with this chip are more expensive than the 6600 line of cards but offer performance on the level of nearly a 7800 at times! Therefore as of today the 6800GS actually has the best price/performance ratio.

Nvidia's midrange line is indeed hard to beat. I got a 6600gt about a month ago for $129.99 USD, and I'm quite happy with it. It's good to see that the video card companies are starting to pay attention to a lower-budget market. I just can't fork up the cost of a top-of-the-line card when a mid-range one will do.Let's hope they continue to pay attention to this market, it's definately pleasing the customers! :)

I have had a 6800 non-ultra for a while now and if I had to do it again I probably would have gotten a 6600GT instead because I think it was quite a bit cheaper, and the performance was pretty close. (Although at the time I got my card I think the 6800 non-ultra was the cheapest AGP card of the 6 series and I didn't know that the AGP 6600GT would be getting release later). Also this time around ( I used to have a geforce Ti 4400 which served me very well) I am a little disappointed in Nvidia because I also have an Nforce 3 mobo and the weirdest thing is that it the Nforce3 boards have a known issue with the geforce 6 series cards. So basically even if the settings are down and I get high FPS, it was stutter on occasion, which is really annoying. Also the Guild War texture problem with newer drivers is also a disappointment. I almost feel like making my next card an ATI card... we shall see.