xisto Community
Insanity

Most Important News Story In 2005 What do you think?

What do you think is the most important news story this year?  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If you want more added just reply to this topic with your suggestion! :lol:

Notice from saint-michael:
moved to general topics since this is not a new report post, also adding more to your post would be most beneficial to you as well.
Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

Yeah i would have to Tsunami 2004 then the hurricanes being the big ones and what ever filters in from there.

I'm with ZeroHawk on this one, except I'd have to call it the news story of the last century when the rapid growth of population and exponential growth of Hydro-carbon consumption spews so many tonnes of waste in to the atmosphere. I believe that is what is causing a bunch of our recent weather phenomenon.True, the Earth has seen hot and cold periods in the past, but it usually takes thousands of years to adjust from warm to cold climates. And the regular or normal fluctuations are "natural". The impact that Man has had on the environment in the last 100 years is a "man-made" influence and is un-natural. The Atmosphere and Climate activities are extremely delecate eco-systems and are bound to show some effects. Unfortunately, the effects are as harmful to man as they are.

I voted for the live 8 concert even though I new nothing about it because I wanted to vote for something positive and the option ?other? sounded too vague. If I was going to vote for something positive politically, I think the Israeli withdrawal form Gazza is pretty big. It gives me some hope no matter how small that there might some day be peace in that region. There have been a lot of breakthroughs in nano technology this year. The resulting new materials could revolutions just about everything around us especially those materials made by carbon nano tubes. I also consider any story related to the VSE (vision for space exploration) to be quite postitive. I remember when I was younger congress would stop any research that had to do with mars. I think the most tragic loss was the termination of trans hap. Transhap was an inflatable space station module which was considerably bigger and lighter then the other modules. Because this would make it easier to go to mars congress terminated because of a dislike of any technology that could be use for future mars exploration. Since the announcement of the VSE there has been a much wider political support of the goals of NASA both in congress and advocacy groups in aerospace and space exploration. NASA is no longer condemned to circle in orbit in a vehicle that is far too complex to maintain to prop up a space station which is a bad return on the investment in terms of dollars per science. Finally NASA is given the authority to actually do things in the manned space program again in an affordable and sustainable fashion.

It probably depends on where you live, and what's most important to you in your life. I live a few hundred miles from the hurricanes, and a lot of the evacuees are still in the area, so a lot of the news and focus around here is on the hurricanes.

It probably depends on where you live, and what's most important to you in your life. I live a few hundred miles from the hurricanes, and a lot of the evacuees are still in the area, so a lot of the news and focus around here is on the hurricanes.

205373[/snapback]

I have issues with the word used. You wouldn?t call a mobster important so why would you call a natural disaster important? Maybe it just shows the repressed optimist in me.

Personally, I didn't really mean that anything was more important than something else. That word was in the title of the thread. "What news story affected your life the most in 2005?" might have been more correct? Maybe that's wrong too.

Ya there isn't really a "most important" thing that happened to you. It's just some are more important than others. I was most affected by the hurricanes like I have been every year. Luckily nothing major has happened around my neck of the woods but we got some heavy rain this year. But if I lived where I did before I might not have been so lucky.

HeyYeah I think Tsunamis from End of Dec- Jan and its aftermaths were biggest news in the world. Lots of books have been written about it.London Bombings and London for Olympics2012 were pretty big news coming out almost at the same time. A news this year which has shocked the whole of my country was a rather more stupid one...which is the so-called 'princess of the country's entertainment world' were pregnant. The fact that the girl became pregnant without gettting married first wasn't so heart-breaking...but the fact that she had lied the whole way through hurt and shook our hearts. Basically she had always deinied that she was pregnant. Then one day she came up and said 'I'm 5-month pregnant. And I just realised this yesterday...when I went to see the doctor. I always just thought I was getting fat!' Ah well, it's five months...and she never knew? People, in fact, were saying that it was more than 5 months as her tummy was really big. And, according to her who gave birth 2 months later, she gave premature birth (7 months) . Ah well, it's her private life really. But it is certainly one of the most shocking news in m peer group anyway.

I voted for "other". I think that all the hurricanes (spelling?) are imprt because they affected and still are affecting many people's lives. Heres something from cnn.com," More than 46,000 families in those states now have until January 7 to move out of hotels and into travel trailers, mobile homes or apartments until they find permanent homes.The deadline comes much sooner -- December 15 -- for 3,500 other households scattered nationwide, before the Federal Emergency Management Agency stops paying their hotel bills. "If you think about it january 7th is not that far away and it is very hard for families to find places to live.

I would have to say the weather as well. The southern states were hit big time quite a few times and just take a look at New Orleans. Who knows how may people who are now are now homeless, and some people lost every thing they had.