xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Professor Kirby

Getting Enough Sleep At Night heres my advice

One thing I notice amoung today's youth is that teenagers don't get enough sleep at night. Studies show, teenagers need at least nine hours of sleep every day. Some teenagers have even went as far as bragging about their lack of sleep. Some teens think people who sleep are lazy, and waste time. They are sometime subconsciously tricked into believing that. Well guess what: it's a proven fact that A-students get 45 minutes more sleep on average than C-students. Lack of sleep is a great hindrance to one's growth and education.

So how do you get enough sleep at night? Here are some suggestions:

1. Eat whole grain foods, chicken, fruits, and don't skip breakfast. I remember when last year, I couldn't wake up early enough to eat breakfast and I had greasy pizza and hamburgers at lunch with a bunch of junk food and candy on the side. The problem with sugar is that based on the Biological structure, sugar gives you a high amount of energy for a short period of time and suddenly drops down. So you end up more tired.

2. Don't use the computer past 7:30. And avoid bright lights. The light emitted from your computer interferes with sleep-inducing chemicals in your head. And also, most people who say they're aren't afraid of the dark really are. Train yourself not to be. Don't use the night light!

3. Wind down at 8:00. Avoid strong brain activity. Do something boring like History homework or reading (just not math, do that earlier). You'll end up feeling tired at 9:00 and sleeping like a baby for the night.

4. When it's time to sleep, close your eyes. If you're not feeling tired, don't watch television. Read! That raises IQ. Ari Bruening, one of the 13 students in the United States who got a perfect score on the Standardized Tests (SATs), said:

When we were kids, we were expected to read, not to watch TV.

I hope this guide will help you sleep at night. And I hope it helps you succeed easier in life as well.
Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Topic moved from General Talk to Health Talk.

Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

Do you obey these "laws" since you posted  Today, 09:18 PM??

204201[/snapback]

maybe because he's is in a different time zone from you.. lol

well, to me, going to sleep that early is just too early. By the time i get home from school everyday is at 4 : 30. I won't get anything done by going to sleep that early. Going to sleep late and wake up early is good pratice for college. From what i heard from my brothers and friends that are going to college, you go to sleep at 1 and wake up at 6 or 7.

I thought the average hours of sleeping is 8 (1/3 of the day)

For me it's not the problem that I can't sleep or don't want to sleep, it's the fact I don't have enough time to sleep. I get up to get ready for school at 5:30 in the morning. I go to school and normally don't get home until 5:00 in the evening because my mom can't pick me up until she gets off work. I do my homework and can't get to bed until like 10:00. This only gives me 7 and a half hours to sleep. lol I do that all week and now that the sun comes up earlier, it wakes me up earlier on the weekends. Last night was the first full night of sleep I got of 10 hours. :) made me happy. Most teenagers like to sleep and sleep all day. Most people I know love to sleep.

Sleep is a dream for me now as I hardly get into bed with my own will. I am always driven to my bed when I have no alternative. There was a time when I used to sleep at some regular timing but for the past five years I have not enjoyed my sleep. I will tell you more about it in next session I have to leave as you know the tight schedules have made life so difficult. We ourselves have no control over our lives.Good Bye and Have a nice dream if you get good sleep.... Thanks!aqeel ahmad

Studies show, teenagers need at least nine hours of sleep every day.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Topic moved from General Talk to Health Talk.

204187[/snapback]

I thought it was 8 hours?

Some teenagers have even went as far as bragging about their lack of sleep. Some teens think people who sleep are lazy, and waste time. They are sometime subconsciously tricked into believing that.

Furthermore, sleeping reduces your sleep debt. I learned this in my Psychology 1 class. Whenver you don't get enough sleep everyday that is incremented to a counter called your sleep debt. And the more it accumulates the shorter your life is. Sometimes I have doubts about this but well at least that's my instructor said.

It's also not true that those who sleep are lazy. In fact, I have a lot of classmates who while away their time and money playing Online games.

And avoid bright lights. And also, most people who say they're aren't afraid of the dark really are. Train yourself not to be. Don't use the night light!

I just can't help it. I can't sleep without a night light. My imagination is so wild!

Great post. I learned something from it.

I am definitely one of those teens that doesn't get enough sleep. I wake up at different hours of the night. I can't go to sleep too early because I wake up more often. I usually try to get to bed beofre 11:00. Usually when I go to bed after 11:00 I feel horrible in the morning and can't function.

I find that if I get around eight hours of sleep on school nights then I can wake up without a lot of exhaustion in the morning, which is all that I really care about because I sleep around 12 hours a night on weekends. B)

i must sleep atleast 9 houesr on night thay i can wake easily, but on school nights i sleep just 6 hours. but at weekrnds i lay in bad longer. i sleep about 10-11 hours, but than i stiil lyeing in my bed ind watching tv.on hollidays i sleep sometimes just 5 hours or sometimes 12. if i go to party and come home at 4 i sleep to 9, but when i stay at home, a go sleep at midnight and sleep to 12

That seems a little unhealthy to me Tade. It is proven that in order to get the effect of sleep, the room has to both completely dark, and that your best sleep is before midnight. This means that it would be better to go to bed as soon as you get home, and wake up a few hours early to do extra homework because you would get more out of your sleep.Me? I am in bed as soon as possible. Usually around nine or ten. I am awake by 7:15-7:45 depending on what day it is. This gives me at least eight hours of sleep. The number of hours recommended for working people. But I usually get nine.As far as bragging teens Kirby, I can say I have heard of some who do. But I can honestly say that everyone I know wants a good nights sleep. The problem is they sleep way in! Which means they are really just sitting there not getting replinished. If they want a good nights sleep, they should be in bed earlier, not sleeping in later. But as I was saying, most teens would rather go to bed and stay there. So get your sleep people!

Well I must say I defianetlely fall into the not enough sleep category, last night was a classic example I went to sleep at about 6:20AM, woke up (to go to college :huh:) at about 8:50AM, so thats approximately 1 and a half of sleep, which is I guess not good, (this isn't typical though its usually about 5 to 6 hours, altough it has been known for me to not stay awake all night, I will also admit that it definateley makes remembering things difficult, as in I can't remeber alot of what happened to day, I hell I don't even know how this post started. And whoops I'm about to break the no computer after 7:30 rule, no I am now its 7:35PM, although I don't have to get up for college tommorrow, and I am off next week, so I can catch up on sleeping then.

Furthermore, sleeping reduces your sleep debt. I learned this in my Psychology 1 class. Whenver you don't get enough sleep everyday that is incremented to a counter called your sleep debt. And the more it accumulates the shorter your life is.

Right then I'm off to sleep for a week.

I like sleep, but i do enjoy getting up real early on weekends.. Because it makes my day feel longer and i dont have to worry about going to work/school then. Im getting roughly 8 - 14 hours sleep which i do think is pretty okay, but i get really tired by friday. I don't beleive people that sleep alot are lazy, else i'd think my very very active cat was lazy, it wouldn't quite make sense.

I too love to sleep. It was nice to get so many advise here. I have a another advise drink water every day before you sleep . this helps you to go into deep sleep and you would feel fresh in morning.