xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
wwwescape

Playstation 3 Disccusions on PS3 ...

PlayStation 3 announced for 2006
LOS ANGELES--Today saw the second of the big three console makers announce their next-generation platform. At its pre-E3 press conference, Sony Computer Entertainment gave the world its first look at the PlayStation 3, as it now is officially called.

The name was not unexpected, since Sony had been running an extensive teaser-ad campaign prepping the public for the PlayStation 3. The company had laid a blanket of posters around the Los Angeles Convention Center, site of the Electronic Entertainment Expo (aka E3). Bus stalls and billboards around the convention center proclaimed "Prepare for Chang3" in the distinctive PlayStation font with partial shots of the Dual Shock controller's square-circle-triangle-X buttons.

Sony also confirmed the PlayStation 3, will use Blu-Ray discs as its media format. The discs can hold up to six times as much data as current-generation DVDs. It will also support CR-ROM, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD+R formats. It also confirmed the machine would be backward-compatible all the way to the original PlayStation. It will also have slots for Memory Stick Duo, a SD slot, and a compact flash memory slot. It will also sport a slot for a detachable 2.5 inch HDD somewhat similar the Xbox 360's.

Read More/Source: GameSpot

PS3 Image Index: Here

Update: Sony unveils its next-gen console in LA; Metal Gear Solid 4, Devil May Cry 4, Tekken 6, Gran Turismo 5, and next-gen Gran Theft Auto confirmed.

Notice from mayank:
Thanks you mentioning the link from where you copied it.
Make sure that you add QUOTE tags when you copy any stuff from anyother source. No warning is issued..this is just a verbal warning..next time warning will be issued.

Edited by mayank (see edit history)

Specs for PS3:

Tech Specs - Product name: PLAYSTATIONŽ3

Logo: PLAYSTATIONŽ3

CPU: Cell Processor

PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz

1 VMX vector unit per core

512KB L2 cache

7 x SPE @3.2GHz

7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs

7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE

* 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for

redundancy

total floating point

performance: 218 GFLOPS

GPU: RSX @550MHz

1.8 TFLOPS floating point

performance

Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2

channels

Multi-way programmable parallel

floating point shader

pipelines

Sound: Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-

base processing)

Memory: 256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz

256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

System Bandwidth: Main RAM 25.6GB/s

VRAM 22.4GB/s

RSX 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s

(read)

SB 2.5GB/s (write) +

2.5GB/s (read)

System Floating Point Performance: 2 TFLOPS

Storage: HDD Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1

I/O: USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)

Memory Stick standard/Duo, PRO x 1

SD standard/mini x 1

CompactFlash (Type I, II) x 1

Communication: Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)

x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)

Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g

Bluetooth Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

Controller: Bluetooth (up to 7)

USB2.0 (wired)

Wi-Fi (PSPŽ)

Network (over IP)

AV Output: Screen size 480i, 480p, 720p,

1080i, 1080p

HDMI HDMI out x 2

Analog AV MULTI OUT x 1

Digital audio DIGITAL OUT

(OPTICAL) x 1

Disc media: CD PlayStationŽ CD-ROM

* read only PlayStationŽ2 CD-ROM

CD-DA CD-DA (ROM), CD-R,

CD-RW

SACD SACD Hybrid (CD

layer), SACD HD

DualDisc DualDisc (audio

side), DualDisc

(DVD side)

DVD: PlayStationŽ2 DVD-ROM

PLAYSTATIONŽ3 DVD-ROM

DVD-Video DVD-ROM, DVD-R,

DVD-RW, DVD+R,

DVD+RW

Blu-ray Disc: PLAYSTATIONŽ3 BD-ROM

BD-Video BD-ROM, BD-R,

BD-RE

* Didnt add the specs in the intro post as it wod be too long a post to read and wob be a lil buggy to a huge post. Hope you din mind :) I guess today staying online whole night helped :)

Notice from mayank:
As i have mentioed earlier..that dont copy stuff from other sites..so adding the quotes.

Edited by mayank (see edit history)

PS3 looks cool from the specs, but the controlers look messed. The console it self downt look bad.

Controller: Bluetooth (up to 7)

Why 7? I have PS2 right now, but i dont know if im going to bother upgrading. Also people are woried how its going to do compared to Xbox360, which commes out soon. I fould these comparison specs on the internet: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

They are relativly the same, except for a few points.

Sony and Xbox took different strategies when it came to decide on an optical drives. Sony decided to use the PS3 to further its own Blu-ray format, which allows for discs that can hold about 54GB each. The Xbox 360 will support dual layer DVDs, which can hold about 9GB worth of data. Both consoles will support older media formats such as CD-ROMs, conventional DVDs, and user-created DVDs. You'll impress a lot of ladies with the Blu-ray line, but the Xbox 360's normal DVD should serve you just fine in the near future.

*Copied from here*

PS3 is going accomidate their own Blu-Ray discs, which can hold abour 54GB of data, which could lead to better games, and longer games. But Xbox only supports Dual layer DVD's which can hold around 9GB, probably still enough, but PS3 has room for the future.

The other good thing about PS3 is that its not comming out for a few months. It is rumored that they are re-disigning the controlers, so who knows what they will change. Xbox on the other hand is comming out in 8 days now.

Elegost

I do hope that they change around the controllers a bit. Nothing beats the PS2 controller. It's perfect in every way. If upgrading to PS3 means that I will need to use that BOOMERANG controller, there's no way that I'm doing it. With any luck, it's backward compatible with the PS2 controllers aswell.

Ehh-- I hate PS controlers :/ All of the buttons are the same, you have to look at the symbols on the controler to play anything.on GameCube all of the buttons are different, you just feel your way around the controller while looking at the tv. Plus, it's much more confortable. The controler just molds into your hand :)Get a wireless GameCube controler too :), I've only changed it's battery once or twice-- My laptop mouse goes through the same battery in days

PS3 to launch at under $400; will ship with media bundle

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Looks like the next generation console was is gonna be very stiff. I think Sony's decision to penetrate the Blu-Ray DVD technology market is a bit aggresive. Are they doing this with anti-piracy in mind?

I think selling it under $400 (undercosted) would not benefit Sony at all. In the long run if Sony wish to increase the price to gain profit, they'll lose customers. And I don't think selling dev kits & accessories, online gaming etc. will justify for their loss.

But either way, we consumers are happy about this. What do you think?

THe PS3 actually seems nice. Though I don't think I could ever get used to the Banana/Boomerang Controller. I loved dual shock. But these just look horrible.Though I believe the PS3 will sell better and be better then the Xbox360. I mean (from polls) not maybe people are really excited or want the xbox360. While people consider the Revolution is be junk, so the only thing left is the PS3.Though the Revolution will do better then both of them. B)