xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Peaktao

Rafael Benitez Not seeking perfection....just progress

Yes the Swedish Goddess is back......No managers are perfect. FACT!This has been shown with all mangers over the years. However football is becoming more important every year due to the finances now days. Competition has increased, which inevitably means standards and quality has risen. Manchester United have found this over the last few years a big problem. They used to be able to loose five or even more matches a season and STILL win the Premiership. However Arsenal and Chelsea have shown that teams cannot afford to loose that many matches anymore.Hence as Liverpool fans, along with the other top clubs, we are seeking for near perfection on decision making, especially key ones. Rafa showed last season that he was not afraid to make hard, bold decisions for the good of the club. This was shown with Carragher switching to become a centre back, which was inspired, for many obvious reasons. The signing of Alonso, for Liverpool to continue the pass and move football, which the fans love and has made the club so successful. The adoption of the 4-2-3-1/4-5-1 formation in Europe last season. It allowed the team to play to its strengths and led to the winning of the European Cup. Etc EtcBenitez has followed these key decisions of last season. The signing of Sissoko looks to be sound, with a eye on the future as well as the present. Keeping Hamann, who has been brilliant for this club, has given added depth to the squad. Etc EtcHowever, Benitez like ALL other managers isn?t perfect. This is to be expected. Not playing Hamann in the European Cup final was asking for trouble and trouble occurred. Not signing a right winger and centre back (although he has tried) is a problem. Isolating Crouch is a problem. Handling of Cisse is a problem. Signings of Josemi and Pellegrino is a problem. But Rafa has a key characteristic, unlike Houiller. Rafa will listen and evaluate when something is not right and he will change it. Hamann came on in the second half against AC Milan and Rafa knew he has made a mistake. Crouch is now playing with a partner and is no longer isolated. Gerrard is playing on the right and offering us width and quality, which has given the side an extra dimension. Now we should not be looking for a perfect manager as I don?t think there is a manger that makes every correct decision as football is about opinions. Therefore someone is always not going to agree. Although we should be looking for a manager who is progressing. Who is not stubborn enough to change things if they are not working. (Ferguson, Wenger, Houiller Etc)Benitez is that??.. I like that characteristic about him. However I worry he makes change too late, when he should work out the solutions earlier.

All I can say is that he is a good coach. Good in the sense that he is very humble and judging by the looks of him and how he projects himself he seems really nice (Compare him to Mourinho too see what I mean.) I am little biased of course and I'd say I'd prefer Felix Magath over him.