xisto Community
Professor Kirby

Love At First Sight the phoniness of it all

In my Language Arts class, we're doing a project on Romeo and Juliet. So for our daily journal entry, my english teacher asked, "Does thou believest in love at first sight?"To be very honest, I don't know what kind of a weirdo saw it fit to make such a saying. I mean, love at first sight? I find it sad, really, that such garbage caught on - I mean, this really just makes you want to gouge your eyes off. The baboon that thought of it must really think they're such a romantic. They don't even care whether a girl likes her peanut butter on Oreo, or that she's left-handed, or if her favorite color is green. It's just, "She looks pretty so I'll stalk her!" It's quite sickening.If you ever love someone, then love how they are! Not whether they're pretty enough for you.

Well maybe Love at first sight doesn't exist but I do believe in what you could call atrraction at first site. Sometimes, something clicks the first time you meet the person. It doesn't have to be physical appearance but it could be. It's only natural that we are more attracted to certain people than to others. My bio teacher was telling us about this experiment where hundreds of t-shirts worn by different men were taken and women had to choose which ones they liked best. I'm not sure what the results were, but if I remember correctly but all the women were attracted to different kinds of men. It was totally random, but a smell that was appealing to one woman wasn't to another. Maybe had the woman (let's call her X) had met the guy (Y) to whom belonged the t-shirt she liked maybe something would have clicked. Admittedly, this is most definitely not Love. But it could be the factor that makes you interested in the person in the first place. Then you get to know them better and who knows maybe you fall in Love with them.Hmmm... I'd like to see the results of the experiment. But it does seem to indicate that whoever came up with the twin soul idea might not be so far off. Lol, someone out there likes the smell of your t-shirt.

I agree with Chuya, there is such a thing as attraction at first sight. You meet someone and chack!, then you have a first impression that will most probably determine wheter you're interested in that someone or not. Besides, how can you genuinely love someone when you don't know him/her yet?

I seriously don't know how someone falls in love "at first sight". To me it's humanly impossible. I think it's more like "attraction at first sight". How can you love someone just by looking at them? "Love at first sight" usually happens between beautiful people. I can't imagine a very beautiful girl/boy falling in love with an ugly boy/girl at first sight.

I really don't agree with love being attraction. Attraction is when you like how someone looks. Granted, some teenagers determine love as attraction but I find that it really doesn't work that way. Maybe I am a bit naive, but I love people that I really know, and the interests we share.Either way, my definition of love might be kind of strange. So I would like to know what you think.

i think a whole different way about love at first sight. I think when you look at a girl who is really pretty... and you go like "Wow she's hot!" Its a bit like love... (maybe if you get to know her she might be a real pain in the *bottom*, but still) I think when you get a first expression of some1 and its a real good one, that you think, i can fall in love with that girl. (and then you automaticly try to fall in love with here). That is what i think about love at first sight.

I really don't agree with love being attraction. Attraction is when you like how someone looks. Granted, some teenagers determine love as attraction but I find that it really doesn't work that way. Maybe I am a bit naive, but I love people that I really know, and the interests we share.

Either way, my definition of love might be kind of strange. So I would like to know what you think.

204158[/snapback]

I totally agree that there are different kinds of love. But when it comes to lust, I think our genes/nature has a part to play. We just tend to be attracted a certain type of person. I've actually found a video of the t-shirt smelling experiment and apparently the results seem to indicate that their is a logical natural basis behind 'love at first sight'.

Sweaty T-Shirts and Human Mate Choice:

Maybe it's not similar interests, horoscope signs, looks, or proximity that make women and men fall in love. According to evolutionary scientists, when people throw up their hands and say "it was just chemistry," they may be on to a fundamental factor in mate choice.

Subtle chemical signals, or pheromones, have long been known to draw pairs together within the same species, and for a specific reason. In mice, for example, experiments showed that pheromones acted as attractants between males and females who were genetically similar except that they differed in a certain type of immune system gene. That difference is actually a survival benefit: The combination of two individuals' different MHC (major histocompatibility locus) genes gives their offspring an advantage in beating back disease organisms.

So the mice could smell a genetic difference. But could modern humans, who aren't known for a particularly good sense of smell, also make that distinction?

In the first "sweaty T-shirt" experiment, a Swiss zoologist, Claus Wedekind, set up a test of women's sensitivity to male odors. He assembled volunteers, 49 women and 44 men selected for their variety of MHC gene types. He gave the men clean T-shirts to wear for two nights and then return to the scientists.

In the laboratory, the researchers put each T-shirt in a box equipped with a smelling hole and invited the women volunteers to come in, one at a time, and sniff the boxes. Their task was to sample the odor of seven boxes and describe each odor as to intensity, pleasantness, and sexiness.

The results were striking. Overall, the women preferred the scents of T-shirts worn by men whose MHC genes were different from their own.

The experiment did not test men's perceptions of female scents, but the results certainly suggest that evolution has provided humans, not just mice, with a transmitter and receiver for genetic information that could influence mate choice.

And all this even before the first date!

Of course, not all love is based on lust. Platonic love between friends and family members exists. This is probably because we are caple of reason and so we are not the slaves of our impulses/genes. We can value the shared interests or the differences of others.

IMHO, true Love is finding someone who fits both criteria (biological and intellectual). LOL

Of course, according to a book about evolutionary psychology I read recently, generosity and intelligence may also be fitness indicators that people look for during mate selection. Not only this, you inherit a big portion of your preferences from your parents. So if generations of your ancestors choose witty/tall/short/funny/bulky/slim/charmismatic people for mates you are likely to be attracted to witty/tall/short/bulky/slim/funny/charmismatic people. In this case, we really are the slaves of our genes :) .

Ah.. I never did believe in things like that, love at first sight.. but now I kind of do o.o (although I guess I always did 'laugh at' people who said they've experienced it, before ::lol:...but I clearly remember it.. trailing my friend downstairs, to the E-Cafe where the 'geeks' hang out, my first semester in college.. looking at all the strangers.. and feeling instantly drawn to one guy, sitting alone in the corner.. and I have no idea why. He certainly wasn't the most 'hot' guy in the room.. but from the first time I saw him, 'til now, a year later.. I just can't ever get enough of him. And I don't know why XDTook a while for me to decide this was love, and not something else.. but I swear, my body acted on its own o.o

I personally find "love at first sight" a very disadvantageous thing..because it usually means im head-over-heels in love/lust with her. and i will lose all control and turn into a wimp .. and thus killing any chance of hooking up with the girl.

A lot of people I know confuse love with lust. I think love comes from spending time with someone and getting to know them for who they really are (as corny as that sounds). Most people see an attractive face and automatically think love when they're really feeling lust. Yes, the attraction can lead to love, but unless, in some cosmic world, two people have been communicating through dreams or their "souls collide into one", I don't think there is such a phenomenon as love at first sight.

If you ever love someone, then love how they are! Not whether they're pretty enough for you.

203929[/snapback]

i believe in love at first sight personally....however, there are misconceptions to this cliche. "love at first sight" means to some that you fall in love with their looks. for me, someone who has always judged a person as a whole, i found love at first sight. obviously, you can't fall in love with everything about a person at first sight because you don't know everything about them. i also believe thaqn when a person passes away in this lifetime, they pass away without people knowing everything about them. so how do you really define love? it's all relative and it's relative to the time you are with that person in the PRESENT and as the present time changes, so does the love....constantly changing.

if i were to have judged my "soul mates" looks at the time i first met her and asked myself if i loved her, that would have been a definate NO! i probably wouldn't have had anything to do with her ifi judged her by her looks when i first saw her. the thing is, i fell in love with her at first sight

you don't have to see with your eyes to see. in fact, your eyes can be very deceptive. why 2 people can look at a picture and see different things than the other saw. i saw my woman through an email she sent me. it was an email forwarded to me by her as it was sent to about 10 other people(guys and girls). crossed paths on the internet from time to time, but never talked 1 on 1. it was what was written within this email that drew me to her where i had fallen in love with this girl where i was INSTANTLY attracted and drawn to her KNOWING i had to get to know her.

love at first sight? it's true, and it happens. anyone who thinks it doesn't has a lot to learn and experience in life to know what i am talking about. i didn't just follow my heart, i followed my SOUL that was instantly attracted to my soul mate

I know that people can get attracted at first sight, but love? That's pretty strange. For love to happen, you usually know that person well enough to love. Loving a complete stranger is really weird. Crush at first sight? Sure! Love at first sight? O_oAnyway, let's leave love at first sight to the poets and the romantic writers to do. Let's live in reality, shall we? :)

I dont think and believe in this phrase. there could be something else but absolutely not love which can be felt at first sight. but people may differ because everyone define love in thier own fashion. To some it may be that they fall for the look of the person but hey .. what if you don't like the actual individual (ie person's habbit, attitute, values and culture). I mean that you may like the person on the face of it but you may not be able to live your complete life with him. To me falling in love is to fall in love with person and his natural self . And I believe firmly that cann't be achieved in first sight.

Why not? Some people can be in love from the first sight!I know it sounds like a fairytale or something but it isn't.But as you said, and I quote:"To me falling in love is to fall in love with person and his natural self.",From seeing your someone in the first time you get the first impression only, not his/her self character, and what is more important in a realtionship than that?Another thing that may sound not real, but there are people who can read the character of the person by appearance, from the first sight. So there is a chance of love at first sight, right?