xisto Community
adriantc

The Prom And The Inevolution Of Society The Prom and the inevolution of society

Hello everybody! I have just woke up after last night prom (no I have not drunk any alcohol because they didn't sell any). I'm in the 11th grade and I'm pretty sure that kids are getting more stupid (couldn't find a better word) every year. Why? Well it's one thing to confuse Hitler with Stalin when they asked you a question that you already knew about (happened at my prom, when I was in the 9th grade), but that year was nothing compared to last night. They have dropped the general knowledge questions because well... it seemed a nightmare for the great looking girls with brains the size of a peanut and brests twice as big as my head. Also they had no ideea about dancing after practicing for over a month and a half twice a week. They were just lame (specially the boys)... Of course the girls were great looking (in my opinion quality has droped comparing with last year). Anyway... after that came the talents part... well I can say NO talents part...coz they were (again) lame.. I can't say I have (great) talents, but if it was me I wouldn't have gone in front of the hole highschool to look like a monkey who just escaped from the zoo. Not their performance scared me, but the reaction of the audience did. They really encouraged them to look stupid. In the end I can't even say who won since by the time the announced the Miss I was soooo bored that I didn't even care who would win. One thing is for sure... if the kids are our future the future seems really dark.Now what happended at my prom is nothing compared to what happened in the USA yesterday. It was like a page from Lord of the Flies... too much liberty in my opinion... and the situation will only get worse...

HA HA HA!!!I enjoyed reading your rant and I was going to reply back with "that's what happens when kids watch too much of Jerry Springer" but I saw your location and rather decided to reply back with "stupidity is universal" :)Oh boy, this is by far one of the best articles I have read in a while. It was good! I don't know why kids are unintelligent today compare to a year ago or even 5 years ago. It seems like we should be producing super smart kids with all these high tech computers and super information highway age. But it's regressing to Neanderthal cave people society. May be the fact that there are too much to absorb is causing short circuit in kids brains that they decided not to think any more. Or, perhaps thanks to pop TV cultures that people like Britney Spears, Anna N. Smith, Amanda Bynes, Paris Hilton and likes are basically spoiling our youths today.Whatever happened to young adults (because at grade 11 you are young adults) traveling and discovering the world, and finding place in this society for oneself? The golden age of discover is over and there's nothing but spoon-fed stair way to point of no return. (I was going to say hell but that's too harsh) :)Good post.

Well 10x... and you are right about the music (romanian music is 99.999% playback and copying other songs... I almoust had a heart attack when I heard last night a song mixed with Wind of Change from Scorpions...it is far beyond bad music to take a legend and do whatever you want with it, without, probably, even paying for the use of the words and sound). And I'm pretty sure I know the cause. I like the laws and regulations because they keep everybody on track. Lets take USA for exemple which is the capital of freedom (americans are very proud for that). Well that freedom made that kid shoot everything that moves in the school... Don't get me wrong freedom is good, but too much freedom becomes even worse then having no freedom... I haven't seen russian kids playing russian rullet in school with their teachers. It sound funny but it is not! Yeasterday on the news when they where talking about that incident from the school they where interviewing a teenager with earrings all over her face... it could be another gunner in an year or two...why? because her parents probably don't care what she does...once again too much our beloved freedom... :)

I totally get your point. But in my opinion most (not ALL) of the students who do no enjoy their prom or rant about it are the geeks, nerds, ugly, anti social, or plain bitter. Because prom is supposed to be fun wheter or not the performers were great because what matters is they tried their best to show their talent eve if they were not that good. Another, an ugly performance or other annoying students shouldn't ruin your night if you have friends or a date to hang out with in the first place to make the entire event bearable.THAT'S JUST MY OPINION. PEACE GUYS! :)

Well yeah... I don't feel comfortable in parties like that mostly becouse of the croud, smoke and so on... it is also true that some may say I am a geek or nerd, that I spend most of my time on the computer. I don't have a brother or sister and I was (and am) always lonely, that is why I feel that there is not my place. Nerd or not, I have been at the prom last year and I can say for sure that things are not going great. I don't know what you understand by prom, if you understand the hollywood version of the prom, but my prom had nothing to do with that. Music sucked, the club was very crowded and so on... It didn't ruin my night because I didn't expect very much adn it wasn't much...

Oh I see.. too bad you didn't enjoy your prom. Is this your senior year already? I hope not so that maybe next year you will get to enjoy your prom and socialize a bit more and this time enjoy yourself and have fun. I really feel sorry for those who didn't enjoy their proms because it is one of the most anticipated events is highschool. I myself enjoyed both of my proms back when I was in high school and it was great. There was a lot of dancing and chatting and we made great memories. :) The after prom was also superb.

It's not my senior year so I'm going to have another chance next year. 2 years ago we had the prom in another club, a little bit more space, a short contests and I had a lot of fun. The biggest mistake they did this year is that they made the contest too long (when I say too long I mean 5 hours during which you count do much except looking at the kids on stage and as they were lame, no doubt about it, it became boring). Until I left (about 1 am) we didn't even dance (maybe only a little)... As I said you mustn't compare our prom with the ones you see in movie (or the hollywood style) as there where no fancy dressing, no good music, etc. is was more as if everyone has gone to a club to dance and they had nothing to do with the prom.

I don't think anyone has the cool looking prom you see in Hollywood movies and tv shows. I know I didn't. We did have dress codes though. Guys had to wear a dress shirt and jackets, girls had to wear dress'. We had to take lick stick tests, for alcohol consumption. And if you left further then the bathroo, you couldn't come back in. It wasn't in a night club or anything, but in the bankquet room of a local hotel. Oh, and did I mentiont he guys got patted down for alcohol too!Buffalohelp, I about had the same reply, and saw the Romania adress!LOL As far us producing super smart kids, I think a lot of them are getting way smarter. My kids just started 2nd grade, and I can remember doing some of their homework in the 3rd/4th grade. I had to start taking advanced courses to keep up w/ the stuff they'll be learning in regular class by the end of the year. But I also see them doing things w/ their friends that I don't remember doing till I was in 4th grade either. I took them out the other day and they were daring their friend to go say "hi" to group of girls, @ 7 years old :) ! My jaw almost hit the ground. So I think the further we push our kids to develope their minds earlier, the sooner they start doing some of the "dumber" things kids do, and by puberty, it's just a really ugly thing. If that's the case, I'll be screwed in the next 8-9 years!

No fancy dress? awww that's sad! We made a big deal out of our prom frustrating ourselves on what to wear etc. Last semester we had our culminating night (sort of a prom) and it was really nice because we were already in college and we don't get to be in an occassion just like a prom anymore. Our gowns were made by a local designer.

Yeap... you have heard right... no fancy dress (we all had casual stuff). And as far as I know there aren't any highschools in our country that had fancy dressing for their prom.I wanted to open a new topic about this, but since I have been taking about kids stupid I think I should post it here. Well what I am going to say has more to do with evil and sadistic pleasure rather then stupidity...One of my neighbours told me yesterday that another neighbour of mine together with some friends have tortured their cat... But not just pulling her tail or something, they electrocuted her on the electrical start of the stove (or gas cooker... you know some new versions use electricity to start the flame rather then matches). And after that they have started hitting her... Well of course its just an animal, but its cruel... If they were my kids I would have locked him in the basement for the next week. I heard that this ideea came from another neighbour of mine wgo was doing the same thing wioth this goldfish except the fact that of ourse the fish died... What really scared me was the fact that the friend of mine that was telling me this was kind of considering this normal. I cried when my turtle died and they torture their pet this way. And belive it or not they are 16 years old... Do you find that normal? Probably the lack of education (through force if necessary) makes this kind of actions normal. I am once again forced to compare with Lord of the Flies.. Today the cat and the goldfish, tomorrow people (you know history has a way of repeating itself). Something must be done...:) Hope I won't get a warn for this, because I'm just tring to make a point here...

I've read before how most serial killers and the sort started out by mutilating/harming animals when they wer younger. I think your neighbors may fall into that category. I mean most of us took a beebee gun out and shot @ birds and stupid stuff like that. But electric shock! that takes some thought and effort.Honestly though, it sounds like you're getting a little frustrated w/ people. It may just seem like it's other teens, who are being immature, and annoying, but try not to let it get to you. Try to make friends w/ older people who are mature. Don't let yourself cut you off from the world. I was always really mature for my age, and consequently had a lot of friends in their 20's when I was a teen. Now a lot of my friends are still 5-10 yrs my senior. Take it easy man, and take a chill pill! :)

Yeah well if you talk to them for 10 minutes you could say that they are normal kids, but I can't even take a walk with them. Of course I also have great friends (I know them since the 1st grade... 11 years ago).

People always think things are getting worse and generally they tend to get better. It is too bad that we don?t have good measures of the quality of education to see if things are getting better or worse.

Is that what proms are like? You and you're amicany type proms. We have something like a leavers party.. or something on a boat and everyone wears half formal clothes.. i.e something you could also wear to a party as well as a wedding.I've never been to a prom because i'm too young and if i was answered a genreal knowledge question i'd be clueless too .. i'm ulba stupid with no talent either.. :S What i'm peed off about is that there was no alcohol!?!?! WTFFFFF!!!? And the lick stick test someone said in their reply.. I mean what the hell? I wouldn't like a prom either.. I probably wouldn't find a date because I'm so ugly. No one would want to go with me.. that's another reason why i don't like proms.. those without dates.. feel unloved and ugly and feel like there is no reason to go to a prom.. But i thought the whole point of it is to have a big bash to celebrate you growing up? Or is that something else? i'm a total party animal.. most my mates are party poopers though and i think they would only go to the proms to "look good" and show off their dates to one another...