xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
LocalSeer

Rts(real Time Strategy) Vs Tbs(turn Based Strateg) Which do you prefer and why?

Do you prefer rts or tbs?  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I wonder why most people prefer real time strategies. It's really just a clicking contest. My votes for turn based, and I'd like to know why people like rts so much. They are enjoyable, but just can't compete with turn based yet. Yet just look at Xisto.com forums, no turn based subforum for game like civilization 1-4, heroes of might and magic1-5, lords of the realm1-3 among some popular ones. I'm glad at least they put a forum for the turn based strategy Army System used on this forum. But what makes halo, command and conquer, or other individual games more worthy of a subforum then the whole turn based strategy genre. I just want to note I don't have anything against real time strategy and I enjoy those games too.

I love Civ(Civilization) from 1-4 and I have yet to play 4! I agree (even though I voted both) I like turn based because of the fact that RTS IS kinda first to click or fastest clicker. I have played over 5000+ hours of Civilization and over 2000 hours of other Turn based strategy games but only about 1700 hours of warcraft, starcraft and other RTS games at an average in the past. I still play Civ I once a week on CivNet with my buddies on the east coast.

I like both real time and turn based stategy games. I enjoy playing the army system and some similar games, but I also like playing games like Age Of Mythology and the other RTSs.They are not just a 'clicking contest'. There are large amounts of thought and logic that are needed to play the games, and they are also more involving and pressurising on the player. The army system takes a few clicks once in a while to attack other players, yet with RTSs you get to see the battle and change your strategy throughout to increase your chances of winning.

I like both real time and turn based stategy games. I enjoy playing the army system and some similar games, but I also like playing games like Age Of Mythology and the other RTSs.

They are not just a 'clicking contest'. There are large amounts of thought and logic that are needed to play the games, and they are also more involving and pressurising on the player. The army system takes a few clicks once in a while to attack other players, yet with RTSs you get to see the battle and change your strategy throughout to increase your chances of winning.

203510[/snapback]

It seems like you are trying to base your whole opinion on the army system which is meant to be played a minute or two each day. Try the game heroes of might and magic IV. I find that in rts its really hard to pull of tactics such as flanking or such, but in turn based you have such precision you can calculate tactics very proficently. Turn based dosen't mean you don't see the battle, my heroes example in fact has battles ranging many turns with each unit having unique abilities and seperate movement. I don't really see how you plan to change strategy in rts, you basically grab your force and set them against the enemy, once it begins its hard to manuever.

In addition I want to add to my first list of great turn based games, space empries(which is the most customizable game ever with great multiplayer, 5th version coming out soon), chess(5 minute chess can make you think fast too), bridge, and Moo3(quite buged but most fixed in mods).

You should try to play an rts like age of empires 3. By far the slowest rts, you can flank and do whatever you want, make formations, or change your unit stances. Harass and use of miners is also important. If you don't like resources some games like starwars and warhammer have cut those out. All in all these games cut out some strategy from a faster paced one. Before you criticize these games for lack of strategy read a forum of said game.-reply by fdsadad

Main Difference

Rts(real Time Strategy) Vs Tbs(turn Based Strateg)

Replying to rvalkass

Ok! most of the people are like Strategy games,but for me I Choose RTS Because I can Rely some main Tactics,less turn,Offense or Defense Chances, and most of all More Realistic than TBS,because TBS have a lack of Realism of its Gameplay,ability creation and Forgot anything

-reply by George

My first foray into either game on any serious level was Dune 2 back in the early 90s.  I was hooked by the strategy involved and have been ever since. It is wrong to say there is a lack of strategy in RTS but it is true to say that you do not need strategy to win. Winning with as little damage to your own army as possible though is where a strategic approach comes in and a well planned defense and well executed attack can be very satisfying and that is what makes RTS games very addictive for me.

My first stab at TBS was with Colonization and I loved it too. It is hard to compare the two game styles really. It was a totally different experience yet an equally satisfying gaming experince in it's own right.   TBS is really an evolution of Chess, I guess but even those who have never achieved Check-Mate might enjoy these if they game them a go.

I feel a big problem with the perception of preference between the two game styles has become something akin to a 'them and us' mentality. It is like comparing GTA:III/SA/IV with first person shooters.  Both are excellent game styles that offer a unique experience.   I would ask those that have chosen a preference to let that go and just try and enjoy the games for what they are.  There are plenty of bad examples of RTS and TBS out there anyway.  

Happy gaming!

-reply by Darren

While I do play and enjoy both kinds of games, I prefer turn-based strategy games. I like to have time to think about potential choices and paths, then decide on what I think will be the best choice. Too many RTSes (at least recently) remind of the fast-paced action normally reserved for FPSes.Regards,z.

It's merely a consequence and a shadow of today's society.

Today's kids have everything spoon fed to them. They don't want to read game manuals or to have to actually think instead of just pressing fire buttons.

The people who're making today's fast paced games are well aware of this, and since gaming has become a big sized money-making industry instead of a fandom for creative and intelligent people, we get fast, quick consumption products. Just like with everything else nowadays.

Thus, you have fast food instead of quality food.

You have cars and pollution instead of a healthy lifestyle.

You have delinquent junkies instead of educated citizens.

You have TV instead of books.

And naturally, you have action games and portable console products instead of quality, intelligent and challenging turn-based games with a story and a well developed game world.

Talking about turn-based gaming to someone younger than their earlyTwenties nowadays is a pointless exercise, since they probably haven'tEver had the chance to play a legitimate, quality computer game inTheir lifes.They've been busy playing slight variations of the FPS engine principle, in between taking their illegal drugs and beating up their teachers in school.

Crap, illiterate games for a crap, illiterate generation - makes sense to me.

We live through another history instance of what we call "dark age".

I prefer turn based strategies. I have to say I enjoy games such as Fire Emblem a lot more then games like Age of Empires or Starcraft. Something about having to gathering resources really REALLY bores me. Then there's rushing and all kinds of other weird rules. Turn based strategies is like another game of chess. I of course love chess so that'd explain why I really like these games.

Both genres of games are really fun and my favourite. I can understand how people think RTS is a clicking contest, but it's really not. It just seems like that because when you're experienced with a game you can think about apply your strategy very quickly. You could always slow down most RTS games anyway to make them more slow paced. I recommend the now old Close Combat series which are great real time tactical warfare games. They're slow enough to use real tactics but fast enough to be exciting and challenging. When your squads come under fire, assuming they have cover, they won't die instantly, and you can choose to smoke the area and pull them back or rush in in another squad while suppressing the enemy with mortar fire. I like CC!The one thing I dislike about RTS games is how they're almost all about mass attacking. I remember when I was a big RTS player the common strategy was literally to select everything and attack-move into the enemy. The thing is, they are hardly realistic at all, but it just takes different strategies to play them. They are still fun.Plus, TBS are WAY too addictive. At least RTS games DO end before the sun comes up in the morning. I've played quite a few TBS games like Civ, GalCiv, and some other ones, and I can't pull myself away from them. Fun? Yes, very, but when the game's over, 48 consecutive hours later (a short game too!) I always feel disgusted with myself for doing nothing, not even eating, but playing a game constantly lol

Edited by rob86 (see edit history)

I would say I like REAL time based strategy... this is basically because I like real time, as it doesn't require you to spend as much time and as I like waiting...I don't know what turn based time strategy games are though, so maybe that's why I like real time more...

Turn based strategy games are like the popular Civilization games but they come in more war/military centric flavours as well. From what I've seen of most turn based games, is they aren't necessarily just Real time games slowed down into turns, although they can be. They usually have a scope far greater. A person who's really into a turn based game could take a very long time checking up on their economy or something like that. A game that's turn based has to be a pretty darn good game to keep someone playing and most times they are. I started my gaming experience playing RTS games and when I heard of Turn based games the first thing I thought was "Turn based?! That sounds so boring.. " but turn based games were getting rave reviews, ones such as Civilization which I think was the first turn based game I decided to try and it made me a fan of that genre. It was very enjoyable.Any strategy game fan should be aware that there are two major sub groups of both genres. There are turn based strategies and real time strategies, and then there are turn based tactical and real time tactical. Sometimes they're lumped together but there is a big difference. Tactical games are more focused on, well, tactics. You're typically given a small number of units, often known to you by name (to make it more personal) and you have to plan your strategy using realistic military tactics. Resources aren't infinite.Some examples which I think fit these genres (it can get complicated when RTS is the term used to describe everything and some games claim to "not fit a genre")RTS: Starcraft. Age of Empires. Command and ConquerTBS: Civilization. Galactic Civilization. RTT: Close Combat Series. Rome: Total WarTBT: Jagged Alliance.Wikipedia has much more information on the topic of strategy games and tactical games and is a pretty good place to find suggestions for games that might interest you. I usually look on wikipedia, then google for reviews.My best advice for someone who hasn't tried turn based games is to not be afraid of them. Some are extremely complicated, some are very simple. Most (assuming they aren't obscure with bad 2 out of 100, F- reviews) are very enjoyable to anyone who likes a relaxing strategy game. I'm going to buy a turn based game called Hearts of Iron 2 which is according to the reviews, very complicated. It was recommended to me. Who knows if I will like it? No harm in trying it out I guess.. but I don't think it's for a beginner to turn based. For anyone who hasn't tried Civilization (3 or 4).. you have to try it. It's as addictive as they claim it is. They even have an alarm clock in it to scare you back into real life, though I always turned it off and suffered the consequences..... lol

Edited by rob86 (see edit history)