xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
andrescasta

Please Help! Problem Installing Winxp Pro

I?m hoping someone on here can help me with my problem, because I?m at my wits end. I have tried everything I can think of, and have not found a solution so far. When I try to install WinXP Pro from an OEM disk onto my Raptor drive, it starts the install, goes through the formatting of the drive, install all of the software, I go past the point where it asks me for the network info, and the time-zone and such. Then it reboots and this is where the problem starts. Among the problems, it cannot find the OS, or it boots up, gets into windows and reboots, continuously. I usually can boot into safe mode, but as soon as I boot into regular windows, it starts the crap all over again. I get various error messages, all indicate the install was not done correctly. (searched google) My system specs: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe BIOS 1015 AMD 3500+ Enermax EG495P dual 12v rail Sound Blaster 5.1Live (removed it to eliminate it as the problem) BFG 6800GT (only one) Samsung DVD/RW Raptor 74GB Sata WD 80GB IDE Maxtor 300GB WD 8GB IDE (yes 8 not 80) Fuji 7.6GB 1GB (512MBx2 matched pair) Corsair Memory This is what I have done so far to eliminate it as the problem: Memory ? memtest boot disk, no problems during 25 hour test, also used different memory during a different install, problem still persists WinXP CD ? used a copy (CD only, no key) from work to see if scratches on the CD could be causing the problem, problem persisted on Raptor, but installed without problems on the 8GB WD Raptor Drive ? ran WD drive test, all tests past, also wrote zeros to the drive after the nth failed install Video Card, CPU, Enermax PSU, Memory ? all work without any freezes, lock-ups or error messages when I use the 8GB drive and its copy of WinXP Pro, I also ran Prime95 stress-test for 39 hours without any problems. I thought it might be the Raptor, since I can install windows on a IDE drive and it works fine, but the WD test showed no problems. Also, if I make the raptor a slave on the system I can fill it up without any problems. I really don?t know what else it could be! Anyone have any ideas?andrescaste

I had all my other drives removed when i installed the, or tried to install, the OS. I only have the DVD drive, and the raptor hooked up. I have double checked my BIOS to make sure it is the right drive it boots to, and that it shows up as the correct drive. I have reset the BIOS many times. (reset to default in BIOS and by removing the battery and letting it reset) I have a feeling it is something with the Sata and the MB not communicating proberly. Would love to go out and buy a replacement part if i just knew what it is i need. If this keeps up much longer, i will most likely replace the MB, but it for sure will not be a Asus any more.

Well, based on what you have stated about the problem thus far i.e., the drive works and you tried two different windows install disks with the same outcome, I'd say you probably have a boot sector (either damaged or set up incorrectly) issue on the raptor drive which could be causing you these troubles when it tries to boot as the main drive and load the os. The solution would be to find a bootsector manager and repair program compatible with your raptor type drive, I am also sure that OEM windows disks don't like to work on drives with existing windows. The boot sectors of drives are generally not rewritten from standard formatting.Hope this helps :)

hi, for your problems, I did a search over vendor web site but not found any usefull information about it. however, here is my some advice, try it if it works.

1.) don't partitions and formats you hard drive with windows xp drive tool, use the Data Lifeguard Tools to do this job.   2.) under the step 1, after, try:
        i) install a copy of windows xp onto 8GB hard drive, then, copy the whole OS to raptor drive to see if it works.
        OR
        ii) install a copy of it to raptor drive directly to see if it works.

if your raptor hard drive will be formated with ntfs file system, you may have to check this page as well.

- hope this help