xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Saint-michael Reviews Norton 2k6 Norton Anti-Virus Software.

Well I picked Norton 2006 last night since my subscription ran out so I thought I give a review on it and let you the members of trap get a good idea what it all before getting it.The First thing I notice what was different then most Norton software after it install it automatically does the first scan of the computer (13 warnings_adware). Also for the first time it checks programs that connect to the internet as well but just a bit better as well then that awful 2005 where the block programs came up ever 2 minutes that was finally fixed. Also it does a tab FYI on your task bar as well (new feature, most anti-virus software that I know does that or closely related to it.)Another new feature it as is the internet security, in which it checks to see how well your computer is secured against everyone else (I got a green light for it YEAH!!), it install a small active X program (most annoying things in the world) and checks your computer for any firewall or other anti-virus stuff that you may have on your computer as well.Also they actually updated their adware/spyware somewhat, but not enough to catch everything still.Also the newest feature that EVERYONE WILL LOVE except for website owners is ad-blocking which litteraly blocks all ads on websites so you don't have to look that them and browse on your merry way, I have notice it work on trap but will look into it.Also another new feature they have put in is learning script where when you open up a program that somewhat requires a internet connections (updates and what not)it, learns the name of the program and what scripts/files it carries and in theory if it is altered Norton will let you know. (Of course that is what I think it does),The next new feature they have is called blocking internet traffic, basically saying you block it your connection is dead (while still on) meaning that all programs IM, browsers, games and whatever else you can think will not be sent to your computer, good idea for the corporate user.Next the added to the interface for Norton as well to it more in depth and bring you what you need.Security Basics is the basics of what you need for protection I.E. -firewall -virus definitions (has the date when you last updated them)-windows update -Auto-protect (pop ups and people trying to send a virus and Norton picks it up immediately)-Full System Scan (has the date when you last did one)Next is Data Recovery, basically means it protects you from disk crashes, missing files, and bad installs of corrupted files level (or something like that) And what?s bad enough I don't have this so they provide you a link to get yourself protect from data loss in which case you have to buy the Norton system works for that very reason, well lucky for me I have nothing really of importance to recover from this computer anyways so I will skip that and not get it for the $50 (even though I recommend getting it for your corporate people)But this is the break down to Data Recovery and what protection you should have.-Install & PC Recovery-Fix Disk Drive Problems-recover Deleted FilesUp next in the command center of Norton is my favorite little tool Computer Performance (basically make your computer run fast smooth and not god awful slow). And what this basically does is from the definition I am reading: Protection from registry problems, disk fragmentation, file clutter and more.(Yeah for me I am halfway their for that, again purchase the Norton System works for complete protection again) So here?s the break for Performance-Auto Protect-Spyware Protection-Improve Performance-Clean up PC Clutter-fix Windows Problems (to fix that don't get a windows OS :) )Well that?s it for Pc protection and now for Internet Protection (yeaaah :) )First Part to Internet Protection is web browsing basically it says protections from downloads, music, games and more. That?s obvious of course when on the internet. So it breaks down to this-Auto Protect-Spyware Protection-firewall-Intrusion Protection-Parental Control (don't have but neither do I have kids, but if you recommend software is Norton Internet Security which basically has everything firewall, spy/adware, anti-virus parental control at $50.00)-Ad blocking-Pop up blockingUp next is Email protection, this is for the likes of outlook express or when you download something from your email or open it like a sucker when they say you won $5 million dollars :P. Of course another new added feature is Instant Messenger programs well only AOL MSN and YAHOO are on so ICQ users to bad for you :(. Also somewhat new even though I doubt this will work is spam protection and from what I seen in the config Norton can delete the spam email right as it get sent to your email box) warning outlook express and gmail only (maybe) and which means you have to type the words in that you want to have deleted best part you only need one word cause it will cover all combinations of it (by reading the letters) Any ways here?s the break down for the email protection-Email Scanning-Instant Messenger Scanning-Work blocking-Firewall-Privacy Control-Spam protectionUp next in the Main Menu of 2006 is Internet Security and for you Norton users the only thing new is Outbreak alert which tells you of a major virus attack and statistics which basically tell what ads/cookies are blocked or permitted (cookies trying to figure that one out meh) and what attacks where done on your firewall as well.Next is the Virus menu which is self explanatory lists the current viruses and its updates, lets you know your current status in updates to the virus list and what protection you currently have running.Next is the Anti Spam feature which?s gives a little more detail so I will break it down for you.-Anti-spam (Norton prevents the spam emails from getting in)-Allowed List (basically is which people are allowed to email you could be convinent for keeping the crazy ex-gf or ex-bf or those bullies at school from emailing you.)-Blocked List (the emails that will not be accepted in your email box (warning outlook express and gmail only)-Outbound Training (new one) (from what I read it basically helps filter out going mail to improve spam filter-AD Blocking (basically blocks all of those ads no making money that way anymore AHAHAHA :() (Seriously though it prevents slow ad and children seeing the naughty ones as well)-Pop up Blocking (really do I have to explain this, the answer is no)-how many Days remaining (tell you when your subscription is yeah whoopiee)Also in your Protection center all the option are linked to its configuration meaning you click on its link and you can configure it to your liken.To me I give this 4/5 rating it?s a big improvement but Norton need to get with the program and start working in the spyware and adware improvements. Its better then 2005 protection wise with the added new features but still lacks the spyware adware protection you really need.Also like to add a Little more info also you get a 1 year download subscription, meaning if your computer goes the way of the dodo you can redown load the software with no problems at, which is a good thing.Also for those worried about size and space everything that comes with the budle package which includes norton 2k6 anti-virus, password mananger and live update is a simple 76.88mb of space, which is pretty good for an update I think.

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

Wow! That's a big review!And the good thing is that Norton 2k6 was lucky enough that Mike reviewed it and gave such good rating and the whole review :)Well that is really helpful and good review Mike...I'm sure this will help lot of members who are in the state of dilemma...wheather which software to buy to protect the PC from diffrent threats on the Internet.But, even after this whole review I'm going to stick with Trend Micro Internet Security 2005...because that is always my first choice...may be i'll come up with TMIS 2005's review in future :)

Hmmm.. So what's really new is the Data Recovery feature which Norton has never implemented before in any of it's products. I guess that will be a very big add-on that will benefit alot of people, especially those in important administration like the government and huge incorporated companies, like Microsoft etc.I guess this version will still make your computer performance slow down alot. I'm using Norton Internet Security 2005 which has Norton Anti-Virus integrated, is running very slowly when I launch its control panel. It also run slowly when I've downloaded huge files (>= 300MB), due to the auto-protect from the Anti-Virus.That is the main drawback that is making me turning to other alternatives. If this new version doesn't slows down the computer, I might continue with Norton products.Thanks for that review too...

well norton like to take alot of ram to run its program thats why you get the slow running of it, the best thing to do is closed down any programs before you scan with norton or anything else.Also a good suggestion would be to purchase some more ram to be installed into your computer as well help speed up the computersAlso i recommend this free program as well its called Ram Def XT, it basically frees on ram to help move your computer a little faster as well.