xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
{G}host

Canal Zone (panama)

Okay, I don't know if this is allowed, I read the guidelines but it still didn't clear it up for me. Well today I was studying and I came across the Canal Zone located in Panama, and the purpose of this was for the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans to connect, now the United States of America used to own that zone, but then they gave it to Panama, does anyone know why U.S.A gave it to them, well I don't, it's a wierd issue.

Well the Panama Canal does go through Panaman so it should rightfully belong to them. I don't think it really matters that much because it is just used to travel from the Atlantic to the Pacific Ocean. If you go to http://geography.about.com/od/specificplacesofinterest/a/panamacanal.htm you can find the whole article. People from Panama were mad that a U.S. territory divided Panama into two so they rioted against americans. Eventually the two countries tried to work it out and in 1977 Jimmy Carter gave 60% of the land back to Panama and later we gave the rest back.