xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
michaelper22

Verizon Dsl Offerings plentiful, but speed slow

I've had Verizon DSL in my house since Fall 2001, and had have mixed experiences. When we only had one computer connected, we would often have trouble connecting, and I would end up calling them for a problem that could be solved by either restarting the modem or the computer. When we installed a wireless router, these problems disaapeared (although getting the computers to connect to the router wirelessly was a challenge). In recent times, Verizon introduced MSN to their packages, and it took a little bit of effort to install it. Overall, I am happy with the service, but wished it would be a little (sorry, much) faster.

even with the 700+kbps it slow hmm well that went out the window unless its...what kind of computer do you have?

All internet connections have their ups and downs. I have bright house and they have the same problems. It cuts out some times for no reasons. I want to get Verizon Fios. That would be cool but sadly we can't afford it and don't really need it.

By the way, when I said slow I meant like <150 KBps. This is really slow compared to Optimum Online, which is around 6 MBps. I know someone who got Verizon DSL recently, and it is much faster (my problem is probably the hard ware-the modem, which is a pretty old model I figure).

I have verizon DSL and the main problem is the router you get is kind of bad, it stops working if it gets overheated. The speed is great, I had to call verizon because I was 50 feet shy of the access point :) It works fine though, and you get other services free or discounted if your phone company is verizon.Summary:ups: high speeds, great service, unlimited accessDowns:low upload speeds (as with all DSL lines)crappy router that you can only replace if you know how to set up the new oneYou may be out of rangethey may charge you a penny more than stated to make extra money

what speed did you have on verizon dsl connection and how many money did you pay to their company?I am currently on a dial-up connection and I pay something about 12$ / month in order to have unlimited internet on weekends. I think it's a big price but I don't have any other solutions at this moment.I want to use a satellite connection even if they are at about 50$/month but I also need this damned dial-up connection in order to upload information. This means I'll pay for a one-way satelitte connection because the two-way needs a high-priced equipment and I don't have a lot of money to buy.Anyway, could you please tell me how much money are you paying to verizon for your line?thank you very much. goodbye and have a nice day.

is that reason you have like the dial up and not broadband/dsl/cable modem, ok that would make sense phew might have to reconsider getting the dsl line then.

As mentioned before, my connection is usually LESS THAN 100 KBPs. And if I try to download something, the speed will steadily decrease as it gets further into the file. My computer is brand spanking new (PH Pavillion a1010y with 2.93 GHz Pentium 4 and 512 MB RAM, and XP Pro), so it shouldn't be the problemm, nor my wireless network. I have no clue of what is paid for the service; my father's job includes it for working at home. And once again, we have one of the older Westell WireSpeed modems (ours lays flat, and is kinda big, almost as big as the Linksys WiFi router we use it with).

Is the slowness on your end or the other end? Many webservers limit people to 128kbs downloads. So if your downloading a large file from an FTP server it may be their end that is doing the limiting. I have 3MBS cable and I found that out. Why with that advertised "speed" was I only downloading at 64k, well then I tried downloading from a bunch of different servers things like FreeBSD ISO's, OpenOffice, and other large files all at the same time. One was 115k, another 64k, another 34k, and yet another at 200k. So in total I was pulling down about 512kbs from the different sources. So the lack of speed wasn't on my end, it was on the end I was connecting to, the FTP server or webserver. I know our hosting company at work limits download speeds to 128k. So if someone is trying to download a samle video it might take a couple minutes even with broadband because of that.

I have had Verizon DSL since November 2004. This was when Verizon still charged $29.95 (USD) for 768 down and 128 up. When November 2005 came around I was eligible for the same plan at $14.95. Still the same speed with half the money. Excellent!

I too experienced problems with speed. It's a well known fact that if you are living far away from your server node (that is, what Verizon call it as the closest server exchange station). But I'm living less than 1 mile. But my download speed kept dropping down to 256, 64 or even will not connect at all. When I called Verizon, they sent out a technician and started to test out my home phone jacks. It was fine (of course, I ran CAT6 and CAT5e for network and phone line, respectively). Then the technician tested out the outside (NID box) line and found that some wires were damaged due to prolonged weather exposure. After changing to updated wire standard, I now have 864 down and 160 up. And I have not lost a connection since then.

Which led me to believe that I should have gotten 1.5mb down and 768 up when I was paying for $29.95 (because they told me I was getting the fastest service with that plan--which was 1.5mb speed). But due to poor quality line coming from the telephone pole to my house was never addressed, my speed was affected.

I can access my DSL modem. It's from Westell and the model is 2200. Verizon isn't too happy for the fact that this information is out but you can access your modem by 192.168.1.1 and use the default password (if you never set your modem and used software to connect PPPoE) admin, password. You can then edit your login so that your modem can enter your DSL user ID and password for you. I did that so I don't have to run another software in my computer to connect.

I have tested my speed http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?loc=2 and at any given day/time I am 701 down and 131 up. Needless to say that I am very satisfied for $14.95 per month.

I have had Verizon DSL since November 2004. This was when Verizon still charged $29.95 (USD) for 768 down and 128 up. When November 2005 came around I was eligible for the same plan at $14.95. Still the same speed with half the money. Excellent!

I too experienced problems with speed. It's a well known fact that if you are living far away from your server node (that is, what Verizon call it as the closest server exchange station). But I'm living less than 1 mile. But my download speed kept dropping down to 256, 64 or even will not connect at all. When I called Verizon, they sent out a technician and started to test out my home phone jacks. It was fine (of course, I ran CAT6 and CAT5e for network and phone line, respectively). Then the technician tested out the outside (NID box) line and found that some wires were damaged due to prolonged weather exposure. After changing to updated wire standard, I now have 864 down and 160 up. And I have not lost a connection since then.

Which led me to believe that I should have gotten 1.5mb down and 768 up when I was paying for $29.95 (because they told me I was getting the fastest service with that plan--which was 1.5mb speed). But due to poor quality line coming from the telephone pole to my house was never addressed, my speed was affected.

I can access my DSL modem. It's from Westell and the model is 2200. Verizon isn't too happy for the fact that this information is out but you can access your modem by 192.168.1.1 and use the default password (if you never set your modem and used software to connect PPPoE) admin, password. You can then edit your login so that your modem can enter your DSL user ID and password for you. I did that so I don't have to run another software in my computer to connect.

I have tested my speed http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?loc=2 and at any given day/time I am 701 down and 131 up. Needless to say that I am very satisfied for $14.95 per month.

I ran the BroadBandreports download test, and this is the result:

2006-02-08 19:00:35 EST: 594 / 128

Your download speed : 594 kbps or 74.2 KB/sec.

Your upload speed : 128 kbps or 16 KB/sec.

That's not very impressive for what MetLife pays for our DSL line. And really, my download speeds never reach that speed. BTW, 128 kbps?!?! That's nothing! It takes me about a minute to upload a photo to Simpload. As you can tell, my speeds are pathetic.

I have Verizon DSL and am very happy with it :) Yes, it was rather lengthy to install (add on to that some telephone line issues) but since those problems were resolved the service has been excellent. Previously I used AOL, but, um, yeah, had to drop that whole gig. :rolleyes:

That's not very impressive for what MetLife pays for our DSL line. And really, my download speeds never reach that speed. BTW, 128 kbps?!?! That's nothing! It takes me about a minute to upload a photo to Simpload. As you can tell, my speeds are pathetic.

How are you connected in home networking? Two computers with a router? And this router is from Verizon? Have you or are you using the USB connection or have in the past? And the software you installed from Verizon, is it still present in your computer?

Yeah I have Comcast Cable Internet and it works great but recently my area has had Veriozon Fios service installed and i may switch. This new service by Verizon is 2.5x faster than comcasts cable and it costs only $1 more. Im just hoping it is reliable and you actually get somewhat close to the advertised speed since i definitely dont with Comcast.

How are you connected in home networking? Two computers with a router? And this router is from Verizon? Have you or are you using the USB connection or have in the past? And the software you installed from Verizon, is it still present in your computer?

We have a Linksys WRT54G WiFI router, one computer connected via ethernet, two connected via Linksys WUSB54G adpters, and one Dell laptop with Centrino. We made shure to shutdown the WinPPPoE client that we originally installed, and configured our router correctly. The modem is connected to the router via ethernet. I don't even know the model of our modem; here's a picture. It's pretty old hardware:

Posted Image