xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
realthor

Quantum Physics Discovery May Bring About Changes In Optical Commu

hi there; i've been surfing this morning over the science related topics on the internet as far as it concerns computers/electronics and i've found an extremely interesting one that may lead to increase 100 times the speed we communicate(we transfer information).This would change lots of things :)Anyway i would like to share it with you and i hope in several years this will become usual:
-here's the link:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/51029100150.htm

interesting indeed, but it could have its problems, due to the speed that is producing that communication, it might burn it out, unless they have a way to keep it cool and not burn out and thus set them back a little bit. But that is some interesting speed that it can produce, at a small scale.

I don't see why it would burn it out. I don't believe they would use high-powered lasers (at least nothing much more powerful than would be use in a fiber optic system) that would be hot enough to fry the sensors. Just because there's a shutter regulating the laser wouldn't make the sensor any more likely to burn out than if the laser was shining into it in an uninterrupted beam.This certainly sounds like an excellent idea, but the big question is what the rate of deterioration of the data being transmitted. If it could work using a laser of the same power as fiber optics, this could be a revolutionary way to transmit information, but if, for some reason, a weaker laser is required, or the laser light that passes by the shutters is for some reason dimmed, it could cause problems with using the medium for long-distance communication.

The technology might not be as revolutionary as you think. Optical switches may be faster but they tend to be bigger and consume more power. You future PC will likely not be built by all optical components. However, optical components allow faster linking between components of you computer and this could create very interesting multiprocessing capabilities inside your PC.

I realise that such a large system would be quite inefficient for close-quaters (fiber optics as they are is really the best one can do for data transfer within a computer, at the present time, anyway), but over a long distance, the most data that can be packed into as small of a space as possible results in nothing but an increase in efficiency (assuming, as I mentioned, that the cable would have the power the carry the beams for long distances, as fiber optics can).

I'm glad to see people interested in this issue,i am too and i can't be but happy seeing you impressed(some:D).As I can recall there is discussed the issue of even stopping light and thus make some sort of light based memory(like a memory card with light information inside,with beams being stopped).Pretty curious,i'm not a scientist but this one really got my attention.