xisto Community
shaneroche

System Security Please critique my configuration

I would just like to have comments on any holes that I might have. I have been using this configuration for a while, but want to hear what others think. Here's my security setup:OS: XP Pro SP2AV: AVG Antivirus, updates/scans automaticallyFirewall: Sygate Personal FirewallAntiSpy: Spybot Search and Destroy, manual update/scan, teatimer prevents unauthorized registry changes. Spyware Blaster, manual update, automatic scan. Backup: Norton Ghost (system restore disabled)With the exception of OS and Norton Ghost, all items are FREE and have sterling reputations. I prefer Ghost to System Restore, consumes fewer resources, I control backups, and I keep don't keep my personal files on c: partition anyway...Any thoughts/criticisms?Forrest

Nice choices.In case you arent looking for Freeware then McAfee is quite better than AVG, i think.I am on Win2k, I havent installed any Spybot or anything thing of that type, I think the Service Pack and Security Patches are enough for Security.Also, FireFox is itself so strong, I guess, i dont require any spybot.

Also, FireFox is itself so strong, I guess, i dont require any spybot.

202278[/snapback]

Yeah, that's what I hear, but is it true that some pages don't load right on Firefox? That's why I opted to just beef up with antispyware, so that can run IE without a problem. I have never seen it used, just have tripped over some flame wars on the subject...

Forrest

AVG is a good Anti-virus system, however it does lag in updates and all the rest of the goddies, availible on other software package. I hope you are keeping your updates up. Not sure how good Sygate is, because I don't know it well. All the rest are good.I think, however, the biggest vulnerability is you, the human. Make sure you don't download attachments, files from MSN or internet, unless you know what you are clicking. Don't click on pop-up ads, or banners etc...My brother has a very good saying, 'You can not believe the collective power of idiots.' Don't be one.

https://www.grc.com/intro.htm

Once on site, scroll down (about half way down the page) and choose the "Shields Up" test.

You might be surprised at how vulnerable your computer is to "hackers/crackers & other miscreants"

202309[/snapback]

I ran the Shields Up tests, and passed with flying colors. I forgot to mention that I have disabled EVERY non-essential windows service that I can. My OS has been severely tweaked and that may have something to do with the results. I do this for both security and (mostly) for performance... I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but shields up said that for a windows networked computer, mine was very unusual in that it was COMPLETELY invisible... A few of the test results (severely edited so that I don't get busted for "cut and paste"):

Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!

Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.

All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.)

Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet solicited or otherwise was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests.

Anyway, thanks for the advice on where to find another test - I didn't know this one, but I have run McAfee's test and they couldn't breach my security either.

How about that for a newbie?