xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
wassie

Harddisk Problem i got 2 and 1 isnt working

here is the problem:i got 2 harddisks. 1 is olmost full, so i wanted to copie somethings in my second harddisk (wich i never used before) But when i cross the (About) 6 gigabyte... the disk says that its full... but it can hold 93 gig. And i checked the particle thingy... and cleaned the disk... nothing works...help me!!!

Hummm without knowing how you set your computer up it's bit hard to tell. But looks like Windows 98 issue to me. If your physical hard drive can hold 100GB but you formatted your drive using Windows format command, probably it formatted to only 6GB maximum. If this is the case, you should FDISK 6GB at a time until you run out of the space. In which case you'll have about 17 drives letters :PBut could you tell us more about your system settings (what OS, how you installed, how many physical drives, what software used to format etc)

have you checked to see if windows thinks that you have a 100gig hdd fitted.go on my computer and look at the total size of the hdd .... is it what you think it should be ???if not .... go into your bios and see if your bios is reporting back the hdd that you think it should be.if it is not .... it might be that if its an old motherboard you will have to flash the bios to enable it to see hdd greater than 8.4gig.

i allready found the problem, a friend helped me with it.my primary harddisk was a "Nfts" that is a harddisk type from windows 2000/xp/ect. but my other was a FAT32and that "FAT32" was from back in the days of DOS, so you coudn't transfer more then 4 gig. But i converted it to a NFTS, so no problem :P

I think you dont set your jumper ( black of hard)send one hard to Master slaveand another to secend slaveif you have writer or cd rom you must user another port on your mainboard

I think you dont set your jumper ( black of hard)send one hard to Master slave
and another to secend slave
if you have writer or cd rom you must user another port on your mainboard

How do people post like this and stay active?!? You need to be more specific in your answers to people that are not as tech savvy as yourself. The jumpers that are being talked about are on the back of your hard drive, and normally there are three settings. The first is Master, the second is as Slave, and the third is as a (CS) Cable select, which means whichever cable is physically tied to that drive(By means of a physical turn of the cable.) And also, there are normally two interfaces for your drives, which are refered to as "IDE" or "EIDE" connectors. You have a primary (1), and a secondary (2), controller, normally found on your motherboard. If you set a jumper as a "Master" on your IDE "Primary", #1 controller, you would have to set up your secondary hard drive or CD-Rom as a "Secondary" on the same "Primary" line. Hope you understand what I am trying to teach you! If you need help, I would gladly asssist you! :blink:

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Be respectful towards others with posting and watch your tone and language.

Another is that your disk could be partitioned, to check, go to administrative tools, computer management, and then to storage. the second disk should be completely "blue" if it is not and says unallocated, then the hard drive is partitioned. If it is partitioned, backup the data on your second hard drive, then delete the partition in the computermanagement -disk tool and create one to fill up the 100GB hard drive.

you should have done what i did, i went on ebay and typed portable hardrive, i got million adn i bought this one that is 60 gb and its and onld laptop harddrive in this cool case, runs off usb and is really cool, works liek a dream and i cna take it anywhere i want, to scool and at hoem, ive been using it for ages and its really really cool, i must recomned because i only payed 50 quid includign postage, very good deal in my eyes, any ways thanks for the help may be usefull in later life?you should have done what i did, i went on ebay and typed portable hardrive, i got million adn i bought this one that is 60 gb and its and onld laptop harddrive in this cool case, runs off usb and is really cool, works liek a dream and i cna take it anywhere i want, to scool and at hoem, ive been using it for ages and its really really cool, i must recomned because i only payed 50 quid includign postage, very good deal in my eyes, any ways thanks for the help may be usefull in later life?

Another possibilty is that the drive is not correct reconised in the BIOS.
There are tricks to reduce the amount of cylinders below 1024 (called LBA).

It's all hard to say withour further information about Mainbord and Operating System.

A tool to detect most of your hardware is Everest (from lavalys).
they stopped support on their free version but you can still download it at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

With this program you can most of the information you need.

Otherwise unplug all harddrives, place the new one.
Install your PC from CD (or DVD).
And the place the old one as Slave.
Your computer will work a lot faster, but you have work for days to install (and setup) all needed programs.

Make sure you aren't using an operating system that can only support a limited hard disk (Windows 98) If you are using Windows XP, try disconnecting your first hard drive, put the second in it's place, and see if that works. Assuming your first HDD is the master HDD, make sure your second HDD is set to be a slave hard disk. Two master hard drives can cause alot of trouble. If none of those work, keep your first hard drive out, get a boot disk (I reccommend a Windows XP boot disk) and try using Fdisk on it and reformat it. If you are still having problems, I recommend a full reformat. There are programs that will completly wipe out your harddrive, more than the Windows boot disk will, this should fix it, if it doesn't, it is not your hardware.

i put in a second hard drive that has xp on it

Harddisk Problem

I put in a second hard drive in my computer but it still has xp on it so when connected system wont boot as there are two operating systems how can I format second drive when I cant get in

-reply by timmo