xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Final)arkJon

Wow! Homemade Chipset Cooler! Cool ^

Hey everyone im back, kinda been here since Xisto started, needed a good host, so here i am!Heres the thing. Today i was really bored and decided i would go start up my old packard bell again. i went in my basement to find it, and took the cover off. I noticed the heat sink and fan were laying on the bottom of the case. I was confused and said screw it, im not gona do anything with it. Instead i took the heat sink, and fan, which were 40mm and decided i was gona cool my chipset with them. I cut the aluminim on the heat sink, and then put the fan over that. I had to somehow tie the fan down, so i took a wire, and took it from a pci slot, to my hard drive rack mounts and found it to hold. i loaded up my pc, and started playing games.Before i was getting about 41C full load on my chipset, which to me is really hot. Once i got this baby on there, w00t! im now at 32c full load! All i can say is if you have an old pc that you dont use, do what i did! its awesome, i could have bought a chipset cooler that probly woulnt bring it down a whole 10 degrees!. Anway can my plastic on my fan melt by touching the heat sink or what?

hey, first i'd like to say, nice work!

secondly, i would worry about 41 degrees celcius - my computer was running at 71 when i first bought it.... it now has 5 fans (that's right- FIVE) and now it runs at 55-61. i really wouldn't be stressed about 41. :P

as for your question about the plastic fan, i don't think anything under 50 should melt plastic.... but wouldn't hurt to be extra careful anyways :P

cheers mate, once again - good stuff!

later

Chipset fan or heatsink usually does not need to have a special cooler, the bundled heatsink most of the will be sufficient. Just wondering, how were you able to measure the Chipset temperature? Is it through some utility? Could you care sharing it, thanks.

There's this thing where you could measure computer components by placing the sensor near it. I've saw it once when my colleague was attempting to overclock the computer.But Final)arkJon, nice work there! I would have thought of something like that. Could you post a picture of it too? I'm sure the people would love to see how your new creation looks like. B)

Chipset fan or heatsink usually does not need to have a special cooler, the bundled heatsink most of the will be sufficient.

Just wondering, how were you able to measure the Chipset temperature? Is it through some utility? Could you care sharing it, thanks.

202589[/snapback]

Try googling Motherboard Monitor. It's a little utility that gives you the various temperatures inside your box, usually CPU at a minimum and chipsets and things depending on what sensors your motherboard has.

Granted, it looks horrible, but it does its job :P