xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
dvalkass

Ps2 Error : Disk Read Error

I have just rented the new game Tony Hawk's : American Wasteland and I put it into my Ps2 to read Disk Read Error , as soon as I saw this I was annoyed, this always happens just after the end of warrentee. Anyway I am really Peed off as I realkly wanna play this game, if anyone can get any remidy that doesn't involve taking apart my ps2 I'm all ears!!!

Pleas help me, Cheers.

Notice from cmatcmextra:
The words as was misspelt and triggered off the censor. Fixed.
Edited by cmatcmextra (see edit history)

Hmm, have you tried playing other CDs, and got the same error? Cause, like you said, that Tony Hawk game is rented. And, rented CDs usually come really scratched up, sometimes to the point that renders the CD unplayable. Even if, the ps2 is better at reading CDs.

If you search google you can find a couple of how-tos on realigning your laser. I did it a while back and it helped a little. It really isn't as hard as it sounds, since your warantee is over anyway, like mine was, you don't really have to worry about cracking your PS2 open. The Disc read error is a major problem with PS2s, eventually your PS2 won't read anything.

Ok I got a little less lazy. Here's one link
PS2 Guide
There are plenty more if this one happens to be bad, I didn't read it.

This problem has happened to me numerous times. The first thing you should do is test out different types of discs, like audio CD's, DVD's, Clear Back games, and Games with a blue back if you have any. If none of them work then most likely dust is covering the lens preventing it from reading the disc. There are many guides out there if you just google something like "PS2 Disc Read Error", but most of them involve breaking the seal to the playstation to manualy clean the lens with isopropyl rubbing alcohol with a Q-tip. But if you insist on not opening your playstation up you could always try those lens cleaning discs, I don't know much about them though.

sorry for late replies, it has happened to me many a time before, 3 times I needed to get it fixed or buy a new one from sony, and once it was just a dusty lens. It reads purple back disks and some music cd's not all and it takes ages and ages to load the silver back ones, around 5 mins. I phoned blockbuster today after my dad had returned the game and the man I spoke to said that they tested the game on their test PS2 upstairs and it worked fine. So I dunno what was wrong but I am gonna get their next copy of their game free to pay back my cash and get another free rental :P So I am happy lol :P

I started having the problem with my ps2 too. I just bought a laser disk cleaner and ran it. It takes literally 10 seconds to run. After that it works but you will have to start cleaning it more often. The cd has little brushes on the back that clean it.

Yes plenoptic I find that quite useful but I lsot my cleaner cd and can't find somewhere to buy another. Anyway my ps2 works now i got it fixed at a shop, was my mate's dad's shop so got it mdone for free. Cheers for help though guys.

there are a few things that you can try , but ultimately your laser is on its way out.first make sure that your discs are clean ... a suspect laser struggles to read disc that are covered in finger prints.clean your disc from the centre outwards , not concentrically.never stand your ps2 on its end .. always lie it flat ... having it mounted vertically just decreases the life of the laser.now your at the point that the ps2 wont read discs , you need to see if it will read cds , but not dvds.put in a cd game .... if it reads it , you may have half a chance of sorting out your ps2.put in a dvd game ... if you get the red screen of not reading disc properly and you have tried a dvd disc cleaner disc then the only option is to go inside the ps2.to do this you need to remove the 8/10 screws ... some under the rubber pads from the ps2 lid.now remove the 4 screws from the dvd cover.there are 2 cylindrical bars that the laser traverses on .... on the lhs one there is an adjusting screw to set the height of the laser with respect to the disc ... note its original position .... now slighlt adjust it ... say by 45 degrees .... now try a disc that doesnt work..... does it work now ?keep doing slight adjustments , both clockwies and anticlockwise .... if you do not see any improvement , then reset to original position.above the laser is a white plastic gear ... this sets the angle between the disc and the laser.note its original position .... now adjust it by 1 tooth either clockwise or anticlockwise... do not adjust by more than 3 teeth as you are wasting your time.last of all you can modify the laser power by adjusting pots underneath the laser.1 pot is for cd disc calibration and the other is for dvd disc calibration.remove the 2 screws that hold the cylindrical bars and now the laser can be removed and turned upside down.note the position of the pots ..... slighty adjust the right hand side pot anticlockwise to increase the laser power for dvd discs .... never adjust it by more than 20 degrees in either direction.i dont know how to add pictures in to this to try and give a visual description of what i am trying to say.i am sure if you ggogle ps2 laser calibration , you will find pictues showing what i am talking about.