xisto Community
adriantc

Area 51 In Google Earth do you know the coordonates

i just typed in groom lake base and searched around a bit then put in groom lake base again and area 51 came straight up - huh!

anyway it hasn't blocked anything at least on mine, wierd.

well area 51 or Nevada Test and Training Range and Groom Lake among other names is located at 37°14′06″N 115°48′40″W

as for the rubbish about UFOS, AND RUBBISH Like that you Americans would believe anything just a bunch of Weapons (Like rockets, weapons of mass distruction (WMD) and rubbish like that) its not UFOS Like you fools believe no such thing the day they find a wee green man either on mars or in Area 51 is the day I become a famous movie star (not bloody likely). its no different than any other top secret base (I do admit that you Americans do go overboard giving it no address but I guess its so no tom, **** or harry can send a letter but even then who the heck is going to no know where it is) maybe if the US Government said what was in the area The US Public would not be coming up with wild stories about what they think is in Area 51 (never mention area 52 though I guess). we have Secret Areas also which it is restricted to go into but we are not going to make up wild stories about what we think is in their. what is in those areas is MODS, Rockets, testing areas normal military stuff.

Edited by demonboy1990 (see edit history)

maybe if the US Government said what was in the area The US Public would not be coming up with wild stories about what they think is in Area 51

There's an interesting thing about conspiracy theorists, and that's that even if someone comes out and tells them the straight truth, no strings, fully backed up with evidence, they'll still believe what they want to believe. There's a lot of reasons for that, for some people, they seriously think things like that - that in the 40s a piece of alien technology crashed in Roswell, killing its pilot and essentially founding a secret alien research base in the desert somewhere. For others, it's just a fun thought to play with, sort of a though experiment, if you will. For others, it's a cultural thing. Roswell is a large and important city in New Mexico, but New Mexico itself is not a very popular state. Most people don't know much about it outside of that one incident. Even if it is a farce, which it most probably is, it's part of Roswell's history as a city.

The same goes for Area 51. Nevada has one big thing going for it without Area 51, and that's Las Vegas. It is probably important to the people of Nevada to have a location that is so ingrained into the public consciousness. As for your statement regarding the United States' government, well, the fact is they have given the answers that people wanted from them, and as I mentioned before, the answers were not good enough for people who honestly want to be told there's alien spacecraft captured there. It's common knowledge that the United States government conducted nuclear weapons testing in those desert areas, there has been publicized information regarding secret aircraft construction and testing from that location, and in June of this year the name "Area 51" was essentially canonized by the government in a release under the Freedom of Information Act. If you know anything of US history, you'll know that President Truman tried to intimidate Josef Stalin with America's newly gained nuclear power, but Stalin already knew because there was a Soviet inside man on the Manhattan Project. The United States' secrecy and protectiveness of the goings on at this military base isn't a matter of hiding the truth of non-existent people from other worlds, it's to hide the truth of our greatest military technology from those who would use it against us or the rest of the world. It begins to fall within the realm of the government wanting us to believe there's a conspiracy. The more people are convinced that there's alien technology there, the more those people will demand answers, and then when the mundane truth is given to them, it's a lie to everyone except the people who knew it was true in the first place.

I am entertained at your assertion that this sort of thing is a purely American trait. Believing that the mundane and often easily explained is part of a larger plot is a very human thing - it encompasses all races, religions, and ethnic groups. Are you truly above wanting to believe something was as simple as it is?

well thank you for your comment Forte I agree with your comment except it not being an American Trait they seem to believe anything except the truth,

not that I am saying that all Americans are the same mind you, or that other countries do not do the same for other things.

But Area 51 (well the one people think its true) makes for good movies and tv shows which is something I will give to the good imagination of Americans.

Well, I can't disagree with you. I don't like to think about it too much, but a good deal of the American public is complacent and really will believe poorly told lies before they believe the obvious truth. The collective imagination of the American people is pretty strong, too, or at least it used to be; the public reaction to the War of Worlds broadcast was great. I think that overactive imagination, or at least that "what if" still exists. If you read some of the comments from NASA's scientists regarding the 2012 end of the world, it's almost on the same level. People seriously asked these scientists if they should kill themselves, their children, or their pets. I don't really know how I would feel if someone called to ask me that over something that has no basis in science, or most people's religion, for that matter.

At least Area 51 has a background in science. The idea of super advanced technology right under our nose is really exciting, and to think it comes from a foreign planet is even moreso to some. I personally find the truth of Area 51 a lot more fun than the alien conspiracies, mostly because I don't believe in aliens, but if I did, I really would like to think that as an intelligent and civilized society, we wouldn't capture travelers from across the cosmos and steal their science without even writing them a letter home. Most scientists agree that contact with another sentient lifeform from anywhere in the universe would be the most important thing to ever happen - I would hate to think we would just botch it up in such a preposterous way. On top of that, look at what we know when one of our planes goes down. Then look at what we do when it happens: check its last known position, search and rescue, retrieve the flight logs, review the mistakes that lead to the crash. If we assume that the technology to cross the universe is essentially cars to the people of an alien race, then theoretically we should have had more crashes here, or actual contact. If we assume that technology is reserved for important members of their society, when one went down, they would have known - there's no way they couldn't have. They would have known just as much as we know about one of our own planes, and they would have probably followed our same pattern as long as life and learning is valuable to them. Repeated (and always false) sightings of UFOs aside, I'm of the assumption that we've seen no such search and rescue operation.

To me, it's much cooler to think about the things that real scientists develop at Area 51. It doesn't take long for top of the line technology to come out of the military and into consumer use after it's declassified. Things we think are science fiction could very well be in development in any number of secret installations, and there's a lot I wouldn't mind seeing come true.