xisto Community
kservice

Amd Vs. Intel For Laptop

I got a Dell D600 Centrino and I want to sell it. I would like to get a new laptop but now I see AMD has a kick **bottom** Turion CPU and I would like to know how does it compare with the Intel Centrino. I like my current Centrino because it runs cooler compared to the P4 and does the job done. How does the AMD compare with the Intel Centrino for the low power heat? Also for games, would the Intel Centrino or AMD be my choice. kservice

In acctual physical testing against non-synthetic (3DMark is a synthetic test) the differances in non-multithreading processors is minimal at best. Comparing an AMD64 to a Dual-Core Intel is a larger differance then comparing a Turion 64 to a Pentium M. Just because a processor can handle 64bit data streams doesn't mean it's "better" for handling 32bit data streams, in some cases they handle them worse (compare a Turion 64 against a similar speed P-M Dothan running Excel scripts with embedded VB, the Turion will show signs of sluggishness first and this is from personal experiance since I have HPs, Dells, Gateways and IBMs in my household for personal testing)I'm a Dell guy, but I'm a rough and tumble nerd first; if you're wanting to play games while running multiple apps (P2P and FRAPS) in the background, go AMD all the way. If you want a system that can crunch that raw data while your background scripts post data to an access database, Intel.In the end though, really, system performance isn't completely dictated by one component (processor) but the combination of components. You could have a system with 4 CPUs, 10gig of RAM, 1TB HDD of HDDs and an NV 7800 512... but if your HDDs only spin at 4500 RPM and they are ATA100 and are not on independant channels... well needless to say that system will only crunch data as fast as that HDD can read/write over that slow channel. One must look at the WHOLE picture to choose a good system.andrescasta

This is going to be somethign like browser or console wars. If you get the equivalent of both, then just get ram. there isn't much difference between a 3.0ghz pentium m and turion 64 3000+, unless you start using programs with 64bit support. I think any processesor above 2.4ghz is fast enough when with a lot of ram.

You hit the nail on the head with the heat, if you were getting a desktop I'd say AMD all the way, but because it's a portable then power and heat are a concern, now even if AMD is less power (don't think it is) it still is hotter however the power you save on AMD (if you actually do) you would need to keep the fan running longer. SO speed isn't the most important thing

when it comes to Laptop/Notebook systems I would not got away with Intel base units. AMD really need to improve their processors on this product line, so for now if I were you I would stick with your centrino or better yet upgrade with Intel base too.

I can't say I have a direct experience with laptops since I don't have one and I don't intend to buy one (not that I wouldn't like, but they are just much too expensive for me). I must say I am a fan of AMD... Of course my first computer had an Intel CPU, but since then I've one had AMD CPU.Even if I don't have a laptop, I can say I know pretty much about laptop CPU because I read a lot of computer magazines. I remember just last month they did a huge laptop test (they compared around 30 laptops) and not surprising at all a intel powered one won (as much as I am an AMD fan I have to admit that only in mobility Intel CPUs are better). BUT (that is a very big but) it seems AMD are catching up and it seems that Turion has a lot of potential (much lower power consumption and heat then a Pentium M). That's why the laptop powered by AMD's Turion has ended up in the 3rd place.

I can't say I have a direct experience with laptops since I don't have one and I don't intend to buy one (not that I wouldn't like, but they are just much too expensive for me). I must say I am a fan of AMD... Of course my first computer had an Intel CPU, but since then I've one had AMD CPU.

Even if I don't have a laptop, I can say I know pretty much about laptop CPU because I read a lot of computer magazines. I remember just last month they did a huge laptop test (they compared around 30 laptops) and not surprising at all a intel powered one won (as much as I am an AMD fan I have to admit that only in mobility Intel CPUs are better). BUT (that is a very big but) it seems AMD are catching up and it seems that Turion has a lot of potential (much lower power consumption and heat then a Pentium M). That's why the laptop powered by AMD's Turion has ended up in the 3rd place.

202584[/snapback]

thats a nice one to hear and I just hope AMD will continue to work on the improvement of their mobile processors, more choices is better for us end users. Money wise AMD is really on the lead which is actually one of their drawing power.

You should always take into consideration that AMD based processors have slightly warmer core than Pentium 4's, so if you are not sure about cooling or places you going to use your laptop - stick with pentium 4.

You should always take into consideration that AMD based processors have slightly warmer core than Pentium 4's, so if you are not sure about cooling or places you going to use your laptop - stick with pentium 4.

Currently this is completely wrong, please provide the source of this information.

check this

and this

As for the mobile CPU test here is the answer you want

decide for yourself

Im thinking of getting a pentium for a laptop but i truly want amd performance, the only problem is that with using a laptop it will get hot and burn me . :) So i'll end up getting a Centrino.. Does anyone know how an apple powerbook 1.5ghz compares to a centrino 2ghz?

Does anyone know how an apple powerbook 1.5ghz compares to a centrino 2ghz?

I wouldn't know from experience. But and apple is very diffrent from a Windows computer, both in what they can do and how they do it, from what I understand the apple would stand up quite well if you were running something like photoshop on both, but you know if you need your computer for a specific purpose better check to see if the apple can fulfill

The real question is: what are you going to be using it for? Apple is switching to Intel Chips starting in less than 2 months. So the PowerPC versus Intel debate is over. Now I've been using Apple notebooks (G3 iBook and G4 PowerBook) for the past four years. I love them. Great battery life, good performance, easy to use and other than I had one of those iBooks with the logic board problems, good solid reliablity. In the laptops, the thing that matters to me is battery life and heat. In those two catagories, I don't think AMD is close to touching Intel. Furthermore, if your just running office apps, surfing the net, and maybe light gaming, a 64-bit processor isn't going to buy you much.Back a number of years ago I worked at an engineering firm as the IT tech support guru. We ran on Sun systems. We purchased three 64-bit UltraSparc workstations and they were horrible at running applications. We quickly sent them back and got in 32-bit Sparc systems and everything was great. Why? The applications were designed for 32-bit and ran much smoother and better on the 32-bit versus the 64-bit systems. Now when we did simulations, we would send that to 64-bit UltraSparc servers to number crunch, which they did outperform the 32-bit systems. So while lots of people are hyping AMD because they are "64-bit" and not Intel, I'm still telling people to buy what ever is cheaper, usually intel, because for 95% of the PC users, 64-bits is not going to do diddley.