xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
andrescasta

Stuttering Problem In Quake 4

Hi guys!!I've having quite a bit of a problem with Quake 4. Everytime, somebody talks our some other sound effect is sounded, the game will stutter and as you can guess by the frequency of the fire fights and talking in this game, the game stutters like mad, almost bordering on unplayable. I've tried updating my chipset and sound drivers, underclocking even using the beta Catalyst 5.10a in the hopes that this problem will go away, but to no avail. If anyone has a solution or suggestion, I'd highly appreciate it. Thanks in advance guys!!PS. I don't really think that it's an issue of my system can't play the game since I don't really have any performance problems of any sort with F.E.A.R. This ir my system:Asus P4S800-MX Mobo2.8 P4 CPU1024 PC3200 RAMSeagate Barra IV 60GiG HDWestern Digital 120GiG HDRadeon X800 Pro Graphics CardVideomate DVB-T300 TV Tuner CardAudigy PCI Sound CardWin XP Home, Fully up to date, SP2 etcandrescasta

Thanks , I did try lowering the Sound Acceleration using DXDiag, it still did the same thing. I think I'll try defragging my HD, since it's been ages since I last did it. Goarmy, I had to setup Q4 on my own, since for some strange reason, the game insists on putting my system at Low Quality and 640x480 (Doom 3's auto-detect configuration pegs my system at High Quality, while F.E.A.R. sets it at a combination of mid-high settings).andrescasta

Try updating all the drivers for your graphics/sound cards. I'd also try asking on the official Quake site, and check if they have a patch out for the game, this may fix the problem.Also, when playing the game, try not to have anything going on in the background, for example, msn chat. Hope that helps

Games like Quake 4 take your computer to the limits, so you will need the latest version of dirextx, drivers, and pretty good hardware. Since these seem ok for you, you might want to look deeper into the software you run. Programs like Microsoft Antispyware caused a huge loss of performance in the past, I aint sure if this also counts for other programs which protect your computer against virusses / spyware. Maybe you should just disconnect from the internet while playing the single player, and close these programs. You use any special programs for sound control?