xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
LocalSeer

Civilization Iv The good and the bad

Sid finally released CIVILIZATION IV! It's the best civilization yet; improving on the few points lacking in Civilization III. The government system is expanded so no more just democracy and communism empires. Now you have 5 different aspects of government to pick the ones that really benefit your strenghts. Second, city AI is greatly enhanced, greatly reducing micromanagment and the annoying Civilization 3 polution (that would relocate your work squares even though your workers would clean it in one turn)is now totaly fixed. In fact I barely ever have to adjust the squares the AI picks. In diplomacy the computer still demends tribute and technology, but this time it remembers and improves your relationship(you can later ask it for stuff). None of this even considers the enhanced combat system, no more stacking dozens of mech infantry with modern tank and rampaging. It actualy helps to split up stacks and units have bonuses against other units creating much more unit variety.Now to be fair the bad: Sid put his own voice in the game, and it's just not right hearing him quote Napoleon or the Bible. It sounds like he's trying to seduce you, it scares me. The game does have a steep learning curve, I've been a Civilization fanatic since Civilization I and it took me half an hour to piece together the basics. Newbies will need to spend at LEAST an hour playing on easy mode to get a fix before they can spend days playing a real game :P. There were some kinks in the game, players seeing the "cheshire cat"(only see eyes/appendages of units) should download the patch and some people supposibly got the french technology tree. In addition I had my install disk and play disk labeled opposite.I rate it a 9.8/10 definite buy!

Thanks a lot for this review. I?ve always loved Civilization saga. I enjoyed a lot of time with Civs I and II when I was a child, and I think it was definitely a decisive point in strategy games. Better graphics, real-time and 3d advantages have never beat its cleverness. I?ve played to a game called Civilization III: Call To Power years ago that was not very good but I think it was not a Sid Meier?s release. I liked Alpha Centauri too. I still play Civilization II sometimes, I?ve never found a more addictive game.So thanks again for reviewing it. As another Civ fanatic, I?m gonna buy this one. I can?t wait to hear that voice thing :P:P:D

i think that If you have even a passing interest in strategy games, world history, or getting less sleep at night, you owe it to yourself to give Civilization IV a try.Contains strategies for building empires for both single player and multiplayer game.

I've had Civ4 for a few days now and it's incredibly addictive. As was mentioned, the improvements over Civ3 are huge and I think the 3D graphics are very well done. I'm a huge fan of Sid's games and have played all the Civ games.Game play is much more user friendly once you get used to it.As for technical issues, occasionally my computer will just back out of the game. Have no idea why because I've got a fast machine and 256MB on my ATI PCI-X video. It hasn't happened very often but it's annoying when it does. Guess I'll check the Civ4 site and see if there's a fix.

I have Civilization III and the bundle pack so I have conquests and stuff. I wish it had better graphics though. Other than that, I would buy Civ. IV It sounds pretty cool. I would like to try the new forms of government and all that good stuff. It's sort of slow paced at first until you get used to it. I like playing online verse other people.

Sid finally released CIVILIZATION IV! It's the best civilization yet; improving on the few points lacking in Civilization III. The government system is expanded so no more just democracy and communism empires. Now you have 5 different aspects of government to pick the ones that really benefit your strenghts. Second, city AI is greatly enhanced, greatly reducing micromanagment and the annoying Civilization 3 polution (that would relocate your work squares even though your workers would clean it in one turn)is now totaly fixed. In fact I barely ever have to adjust the squares the AI picks. In diplomacy the computer still demends tribute and technology, but this time it remembers and improves your relationship(you can later ask it for stuff). None of this even considers the enhanced combat system, no more stacking dozens of mech infantry with modern tank and rampaging. It actualy helps to split up stacks and units have bonuses against other units creating much more unit variety.

Now to be fair the bad: Sid put his own voice in the game, and it's just not right hearing him quote Napoleon or the Bible. It sounds like he's trying to seduce you, it scares me. The game does have a steep learning curve, I've been a Civilization fanatic since Civilization I and it took me half an hour to piece together the basics. Newbies will need to spend at LEAST an hour playing on easy mode to get a fix before they can spend days playing a real game :lol:. There were some kinks in the game, players seeing the "cheshire cat"(only see eyes/appendages of units) should download the patch and some people supposibly got the french technology tree. In addition I had my install disk and play disk labeled opposite.

I rate it a 9.8/10 definite buy!

200227[/snapback]

Very well put, just a few missing from each collumn tho, like the new interface. i CANT STAND the new way it looks, it scrolls weird and it seems to never be a good zoom in/out place to play. Because of the game size it takes a fast comp to couter attack the lag generated. The scroll of side to side and up and down is a big sketchy too, it has a bad reaction speed to the users requests (eg: moving units) . . . also i HATE the fact that there is no right click feature.

But on the bright side. . . the game is ALOT more realistic to modern and past life of the world. Im not religous, but im very glad that they incorporated this feature in gov't systems and the AI. its a part of history, theres no two ways about it, im glad they realized it. Contraversial?. . . yes, but that keeps the world interesting. i also like the new animated wonder creation videos. It seems a little confusing though about the overlapping units, its hard to tell if u have multiple units on the same area, theres no real indication theres multiple units. As far as the voice of sid meiyr's, its ok, but he's right, its kinda creepishly seductive. the music is no where close to as good as CIV3. All in all, i like the CIV3 interface and viewmodes better, but as far as truthfullness to history, and graphics . . . CivIV all the way... Pe@cE

Just out of curiousity how did you guys like the main theme songs for Civilization IV? I want to be able to give feedback to the guys who did it. If you're confused about which songs, I'm referring to "Baba Yetu" and the coronation song called "Coronation" :P .

Civilization Four had major techinical problems with my laptop. This thing is even 4 months old and its top of the line. I mean really, the only thing it couldn't handle the shadowing and lighting scheme. Then My laptop repeatedly crashed when I tried to play it, and I had to reinstall it. It looks wonderful, If only I could experience the gameplay. If anyone knows how to disable the game graphics (shadowing\lighting) and I could play it almost like Civ 3 that would be awsome. Thanks - Ejay

Civilization Four had major techinical problems with my laptop. This thing is even 4 months old and its top of the line. I mean really, the only thing it couldn't handle the shadowing and lighting scheme. Then My laptop repeatedly crashed when I tried to play it, and I had to reinstall it. It looks wonderful, If only I could experience the gameplay. If anyone knows how to disable the game graphics (shadowing\lighting) and I could play it almost like Civ 3 that would be awsome. Thanks - Ejay

214658[/snapback]

The only way that I can find to change graphics settings is from within the game. When the first screen comes up, choose ADVANCED, then OPTIONS, then the GRAPHICS tab. From there you can change quite a variety of settings and you can set your capabilities to a lower level.

There also may be an issue with your video card/chip and you can check that by going to the support site for Civ4. Click HERE to go there.

When I just checked the site, I noticed they have a new patch to download and it's a major patch. It's for performance improvement for everyone running the game but they make a point of stating that it will really help people who are trying to play using the minimum system requirements. Even though your laptop is brand new and high end, you might download the patch and install it. It might help too.

i like Civ3 more i guess, although the graphics are way better in Civ4 it effects the gameplay. You have to way ages before a character walks from one place to another. These are all graphics wich are nice, but you don't really need.. and that's too bad. I only played it twice or so, maybe i should try more and get used to it, but the difference is just too big.

Edited by dero (see edit history)

True fans of civilization type games and especially those of this brand are mainly disappointed with this version, I'd say. There are many cool features from Civ 3 that aren't included anymore in Civ 4 and even though the content of Civ 4 has increased the game feels more "dumbed down" than ever before. Even the diplomacy aspect of the game has become restrictive and just a plain hassle. The "new combat system" over all sucks as it tends to lead to radically chaotic outcomes despite even the player having significant advantage over their opponent's units. After 2 "expansions" (which don't really expand the game that greatly) you'd think Civ 4 would finally start to poke into future technologies/beyond the modern era, maybe space colonialism like 'Civ 2:Test Of Time' did, but NO! The official theme hangs there like yesterday's dried up pizza in one spot. And last but not least the worst part of Civ 4 (which turned me off and made me scrap this game entirely) was that the FLIPPIN' AI CHEATS! Even though you set your difficulty level at the same as AI it will nevertheless cheat like there's no mercy, he will be spawning Units and buildings on-the-fly, knows every one of your cities that isn't protected and heads for it deep within your empire, seems to "know" every position of your units on the entire map and prepares well in advance before you get them there. So to keep a long review short, Sid Meier's Civilization 4 is a great disappointment to fans of the series and leaves you feeling ripped off and insulted (especially if you paid for it). Maybe if you're playing Civilization for the first time you might be impressed at first but give it a couple of days as you discover the core mechanics of the game you will become more and more disenchanted. My advice? Save your money and nerves, this is the worst Civilization sequel yet and you'd get more satisfaction from Activision's Call To Power 2 or even download Feeciv.-FriedCanaries

absolutely right

Civilization Iv

Replying to Trap FeedBacker

Everything you stated is absolutely true. I wonder when Civilization programmers will find a better way to code the AI since there is always the same issue with this game.

Playing this game for the first time will make you feel great, until you get ready for higher standards and then realize there is no way to beat it since it cheats like there is no tomorrow.

Imaging you are playing a chess game(also turn based for those who never heard of it) without the ability to see the contrary piece movements. Then, at move 15 the whole board is displayed and the other player(AI) is presented with three rooks

Please, make a CIV V where the AI don't cheat and rather use a good tree of decisions

-reply by Adrian

I tried many times to forgive the AI cheats...

Civilization Iv

... But it's just too frustrating when the AI just comes with the most ridiculous things. Here are my most hated AI cheats:

- When you get ahead early in the game the AI will start throwing barbarians at you like there is no tomorrow. Without exaggerating the barbarians will come four at a time from all directions. The AI realizes that you are far ahead and does not want to have the other AI players waste their money/resources on a WAR with you, they will need to catch up. So instead it just spawns a bunch of barbarian hordes to slow you down.

- When the time is right, out of nowhere the weakest AI Civ will declare war on you. This has never made sense to me but has been in all the civ games I've ever played. Why would the WEAKEST Civ attack anyone? Often this Civ is located nowhere near me so it makes absolutely no sense that they start attacking me. It's just another way for the AI to slow you down so the other Civs can catch up.

- And last but not least is something which has been mentioned on this forum earlier, the AI always knowns exactly where every unit, city and improvement is and always goes straight to it.

It would be very nice to one day play an AI where the Civ's don't have this magical knowledge and actually play based on the intel they've acquired through recon and just maybe a bit of guess work. And definitely not the ridiculous amounts of barbarians spawning out of the ground like roaches whenever I get far ahead of the rest.

And just to note this was on the lower difficulty settings.

-reply by Xerces