xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jeune

Giving Alms To Beggars. Do we have a moral obligation?

Whenever a beggar approaches me I don't know what to feel. I know we have an obligation to help the poor but sometimes as it comes out, its the poor who can't help themselves. In my country it's against the law to give alms to beggars for some reasons like they might be helping fund drug lords' operations (Yeah I know how little you can get from begging but these drug lords use a lot of beggars even children!) I don't if I am going to follow the law. But sometimes I am inclined to because most beggars don't use the money people give them for their essential needs such as food. For instance some of them might just use it to buy drugs, alcohol, to gamble etc. I once saw a child I gave money to because he said he was very hungry but then a few minutes later I saw him using the money to bet in some gambling game he and his pals were into. What do you think? Should we give alms to these beggars and give them the benefit of the doubt ?

so where are you living that it's illegal to give money to those who are in need (or think they are) of other people's change?well, if I gave everyone who approached me some money, I'd be poor within next to no time - even though there are only few beggars in the city where I live.But: There are some people who've been sitting in the streets ever since I remember and that's basically what they're doing from morning to evening: Go to their place in the city, make themselves comfortable and just about stay there for the rest of the day......well, I give some money to them on special occasions and I've got to learn quite a bit about their stories, why they're sitting in the streets every day - and I actually got some of them to consider how healthy the food they get might be (how good can milk be that's been standing behind a freezer's clear glass door in a clear bottle on a sunny day when the label says "Don't expose to sunlight"? well, milk in cardboard boxes doesn't taste that much different, is protected from sunlight and sometimes it's even cheaper...)anyways, I probably wouldn't give them some money from time to time if I hadn't been able to talk to them since I'd like to have some clue about where my money goes 'cause I don't have that much to spare...

it makes you wonder why the military doesn't tap into the homeless society, you have alot of people that they could help, well those countries whos armies are not there looking for a fight.yeah i do agree that it is sad to see people on the stree and want to help but tou have to admit they have to help themselves first, yeah it sucks that society thinks homeless people are not worth hiring for some simple jobs and rather see them die, but if you help them out by telling them where they can go to restart their lives then yeah it wold be great. But on the other hand most of the people that are homeless believe drugs are and still the answer in life along with alcohol as well, so many they do get they by the drugs and the alcohol just to get the high they will never get.I should help other people but to me though if you can't trust people to help you (the ones that are good) then you will have a hard time getting back into societyBut then the group of people that do criminal activities need the help the most, they thing its the only answer but it's not.Hopefully one day governments will take charge and help those who really need the help and not fill their pockets with money and greed.

so where are you living that it's illegal to give money to those who are in need (or think they are) of other people's change?

200084[/snapback]

I live in the Philippines where our president popularized the line It is against the law to beg, and give alms." I saw it on one billboard sometime and I had second thoughts.

I live in a small town and street begging doesn't exist here. But every once in a while, somebody will be hitchhiking through town and get stranded for a day or two. The roads get closed by slides a couple of times a year, or blizzards, etc. When this happens, some of them are out and about asking for money to get by with. Rather than give them money, in case they are buying alcohol or drugs, I offer to take them to a bakery or snack counter and buy them dinner or lunch rather than give them money. This way, I know they are spending the dollars in a proper way. Not that I have a dis-like of alcohol, rather, I then know that they are eating. All I ask in return, if they ask or offer, is that they recognize my contribution to them by doing someone else a similar act of kindness some time in the future when they are able to. It makes the world a better place.

This is a really hard topic to be fully one sided on. I think most of a us w/ a conciense(?) feel some sort of pitty for the begger, or @ least guilt cause we're not right there next to them. And a lot of us give a few cents or something cause we're thankful that we're not in the same boat.I agree w/ what people say about giving food instead of cash though, when we do get transients out on the corners w/ signs asking for money for food or a ride to the somewhere I may toss out a couple of bucks if I have it on me, but if I'm in town to get food, I'll pick up a couple extra burgers and hand them out instead.I was just in Texas/ Mexico border area earlier this year and they're trying to stop the "panhandling" amongst children there as well. There are huge billboards on the border towns asking people not to buy from the chidren selling their gum, toys, and trinkets. They would rather have them in school, then learning how to barely get buy on tourists genorosity. I think that's a great concept.I'm right there w/ you too Saint Michael. I believe a lot of these homeless and welfare recipient people should be put to use by our government. How many countless thousands of unemployed, fully able to work people, are there from New Orleans, living off the gov. right now, while we send people from all over the country, and pay them good money, to rebuild their homes and cities? Too often would a lot of these people rather play the victim, and cry about it.*Steps off soap box*Thanks for the "vent" guys, this may get moved there after I'm done! :P