xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jpx3m

The Relevance Of School... im confused...

hey guys,what is the importance of physics and chemistry in IT courses?lately i've come to think that being succesful in life is no longer found in schools coz they add useless units in our curriculum to increase our tuition fee...plus see Bill Gates a college drop-out now one of the richest man in the planet,my point of view now is it ain't on your school, it's how you handle situations...any opinions?

Yes, at times I'm rather baffled about the relevence of school too. So many people are famous and never finished going to highschool, let alone college or university. I guess that's the secret.... if you are going to drop out, make sure you become famous.But anyway, I see what you mean about courses that don't even seem relative to your field of study. The same thing happened to me. Every semester they give us "electives". I use the quotes because electives are far from what they really are. They are a completely unrelated course, that no one gets a choice about. I've been known to call them 'manditory electives' because that's pretty much what they are.Is it that they wouldn't be able to offer a full course load of stuff that we might actually need when we leave school? So to fill in the gaps, they will just shove whatever subjects have the least demand? That's what it seems like to me anyway.At least in this semester that I'm currently in, it all seems to be relative to my field of study. Though I'm baffled over how a course called something can teach us something completely different than what the outline says it should. Whatever... less than a year left and it'll be time for me to go and work in the real world.

hey guys,

what is the importance of physics and chemistry in IT courses?

lately i've come to think that being succesful in life is no longer found in schools coz they add useless units in our curriculum to increase our tuition fee...

199298[/snapback]

I guess those unrelated courses are better off given in high school because, more or less, exposing a student to a wide variety of disciplines gives him a preview on some things that this world finds useful and eventually let him decide what he wants.

But, yeah, I guess you're right. I don't see any reason why one should get those unrelated courses. I take a lot of subjects that are completely unrelated to my course (Computer Science) such as Philosophy 1 and Psychology 1.

My University calls it GENERAL EDUCATION and that's the best explanation they can give you. But come to think of it, we have to develop as holistic individuals. One can't just be extremely good in IT. He also has to have some knowledge of other disciplines as well. Imagine a Computer Scientist who can't express his ideas because he has a poor command of the English language.

Maybe these subjects will come in handy sometime. Who knows?

i guess you're right... anyway i'm thankful for my english instructor who by the way did a good job, i think... :lol: and guess what, the highest grade i got from my course of Information Technology is... *Drum rolls* Philippine Constitution... ^_^

I'm going to end up having to take a whole bunch of subjects I don't even need. I mean, who the heck needs social studies these days. But to be honet, I really don't care about school, I don't care about the future if it takes enjoyment away from the present (doing homework, mainly.) I feel bad seeing as my grades right now don't matter (as long as I get above 80% I can get any subject I want). Well, that's just the way it is.

I agree with you pretty much all the way. Some of the classes I am taking right now serve no purpose when it comes to my sucess in my life. Classes like health are required and that seems to be pretty much pointless.

Bill Gates may be a college drop-out, but he was a Harvard drop-out. You have to be kind of smart to get into Harvard in the first place.But I agree, some courses just don't seem to do much besides "develop your thinking," and not everyone will benefit from a college education.

hey guys,what is the importance of physics and chemistry in IT courses?

So you can say you know stuff about stuff? :lol:
Diversifying your field without actually diversifying enough to be considered diversifying? :lol:
Interacting with the intricate bond of chemicals and falling objectsm creating a massive chemical spill of liquid ammonia and being able to explain that the liquid fell at the same velocity as the beaker containing it... thus making you the new nerd in the chem lecture hall? :lol:
Or maybe they simply want you IT guys to never have a life and therefor give the CS majors a chance to get the girl (HA!) ;)