xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
lipid

Xbox 360 Question Keyboard and Mouse support?

Will the XBOX 360 have keyboard and mouse support? I really want the system but I just don't think that I will be able to adapt very well to using a controller for shooting games. I have been using a mouse and keyboard for years, so I'm wondering if there will be a way for me to continue using a keyboard and mouse on the 360?

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Your title must be descriptive! Editing.
Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

As you may be aware, the controller ports on the original Xbox are essentially modified USB ports, meaning you can wire in a USB plug and use your keyboard with it (although games are intended to be used with the controller). I don't know about the Xbox 360, but if this is the case, you may be able to use a keyboard as a replacement for a controller (although it is unlikely this will be 'officially' supported).That said, I don't know a great deal about either the Xbox or the Xbox 360, so don't take my word for it. Try reading Microsoft's specification of the system - it may indicate whether or not keyboard usage will be supported by default. It is, however, unlikely, as this allows people to use it for other purposes - such as Xbox Linux.Anyway, all that aside, I think that the controllers would probably be better for playing games, as they are designed specifically for that purpose. I'm not hugely into gaming on any platform, but generally speaking, the controller is designed to allow for optimal control and instant reflex reactions which are harder to do on a keyboard due to the somewhat awkward layout.

You can not at this time use a keyboard and mouse to play xbox 360 games. there is also the below link to a petition to get MS to inclued KB and Mouse use in games.

Guess I won't be buying an XBOX then.
Pity they have no support for folks who can't physically use a game controller.

well if people start throwing the idea out to them their might be a pretty good chance of them doing something like that. Maybe if you call up mircosoft they could tell you if there was anything in the works or anything you could buy so you could play the games. I hope you can find something.

There is a keyboard available but it is intended for the messaging side of live but i got my 360 and wasnt sure i could use the controller for 1st person shooters but i quickly got used to it.

Well here's a snippet from an article from https://www.cnet.com/topics/home-entertainment/

vvvvvv Number 5 vvvvvv
5. Limited keyboard/mouse support at launch
With the USB ports, it seems logical enough that the Xbox 360 would accept PC accessories such as a mouse and a keyboard. In fact, the 360 does offer undocumented support for a USB keyboard, but it's apparently limited to messaging and filling out forms on Xbox Live. There's no official word from Microsoft as to when or if keyboard or mouse support will be added for use in actual games (World of Warcraft 360, anyone?). That hurts a little.

This guys right, Microsoft is probably just waiting for another time to release all of these new 360 compatable things which will cost a "small fortune."

vvvvvv That's a bunch of bs, I didn't know how to make the indented quotes thing so I just put quotes around it. Yeah, I copied and pasted it but I didn't say it was my own, I put normal quotes around it as I would in a essay for school, it's not wrong.
Notice from KuBi:

Edited by brautigam (see edit history)

I was in the same position but i have gotten used to the 360 controllers very quickly, i dont think microsoft will add keyboard and mouse support because eveyone will have to move to mouse and key board for 1st person shooters because if your not on a keyboard and mouse you will be at a serious disadvantage, and for alot of people this would put them off the console.

Hopefully you should know by now that yes it does support the keyboard and mouse like most of the new consoles.... The reason someone would want to use the keyboard is easy. Games like Phantasy Star Online you do alot of chatting on and its way faster to use a regular keyboard then to scroll and try to chat using a virtual keyboard or premade messages. To answer your question though, yes any gaming console that has usb ports will more than likley support a keyboard and/or mouse.

Isnt it no because they don't want to give the keyboard players the advantage over controller players in FPS? isnt that the reason why Halo 3 didnt come out for PC?

Accually it would move people to the console because most gamers use a keyboard and mouse, people arnt buying 360's because this feature isnt available, if it was, there would be a hell of alot more 360's around-nick