xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
amhso

What Is A Spudgun? What exactly is a spudgun...

Spudguns, what are they? People think they only use potatos, and they find that stupid. Others think that they are only air powered or only combustion. And many don't even know what a spudgun is! A spudgun is a recreational launcher made to shoot a "spud" (or other ammunition) over far distances. This is accomplished by one of three ways. The first is by air pressure (usually the strongest), called pneumatic. The second is combustion, igniting a fuel to build pressure and launch the projectile. The last is a hybrid launcher, a mix of combustion and pneumatic spudguns. Combustion: Usually very simple in design, just a chamber and a barrel. Of course, they get more complicated in design as they get more advanced. There is also a need of ignition, usually a barbecue lighter or a spark. The main fuels are: hairspray, propane, WD40, and other liquids/gases that ignite. Believe it or not, these are weaker than pneumatics. Pneumatic: Sort of complicated but usually cost more than combustions, due to having to use valves and such. These use airpressure, either a handpump (which is sort of dangerous, because you don't know how much pressure you have) or a compressor (which is easier and safer). These can launch potatos at recorded records of 750 yards!Hybrids: These are very rarely made, as they are the king of complications. So much can go wrong with these. These are recommended to use sch80 pipes since the pipe has to handle lots and LOTS of pressure. These are spudguns. Look them up on google and you'll find more targeted and detailed information and certain spudguns.

Yeah i have ben to those sites. JohnBoy, when you shoot a spudgun, it either uses the force of air pressure or combustion. Think of it like a cannon (combustion), you put the gunpowder in (the "fuel") and a cannon ball (the spud) and light the fuse (ignition) and the pressure from the explosion shoots the cannon ball.and for pneumatic, think of 80psi of air escaping througha one way tunnel (the barrel) which has an object in it, it pushes the object.

personally, i just think a spud gun is a lil toy you use to fire little bits of potato at people...hahahah fun

personally, i just think a spud gun is a lil toy you use to fire little bits of potato at people...hahahah fun

199321[/snapback]

Me too. Had one when I was little, entertained me for a good hour if I remember rightly.

When you talk about combustion types being stronger than pneumatic..it would actually depend on the mass of gas being prdouced from the mass of feul, and also the tight air seal would effect how far it would be fired out at....llol im just referring back to old school lessons about combustion ^_^,

yeah but image getting hit by one of those with a potato in them, that would do some serious damage as well, just hurts thinking about it.

I have a potato canon with a silencer mod that I made over a year ago. I wouldn't say these things are hard to make either. A simple potato canon will only take like 1 or 2 days to build. At the time I made mine it only cost about $30 worth in materials.

Razor, i meant that in most cases, pneumatics are stronger THAN combustions. I can;t imagine myself shooting a person, it'd go into them..

Spud Guns are weakMe and my cousins stepped up from the traditional spud gun to build a Grapefruit cannon =)This baby shoots the grocers finest Grapefruit over 200 yards. In fact we have never really seen where they land when shooting straight out - but we have managed to put several well placed shots on the roof of the industrial building behind my house.Our grapefruit cannon is about 8.5 feet long. The combustion chamber was made using 6" diameter piping and is about 3 1/2 feet long. The barrel was made using 4" inch piping and can really shoot all sorts of stuff. We actually stole a cornish game hen from the freezer and sent that thing blasting across my back yard.We also realized that mere hairspray (which is the most common propellant for spud cannons) would never make it in a system this massive. So we decided to use propane =) and a few other special ingredients (pvc cleaner <-- the fumes are wicked explosive, and a little bit of WD-40 to get a juicy flame)Over-all this thing sounds like a medival cannon and blasts a grapefruit way over the 8 acres that I own. It actually enters the 15 acres behind our land and we can never find enough grapefruit to determine where the thing landed.We made a video and put it online somewhere but I cant remember the exact link -- i will look and see if i can find anything =)

I always thought a spud gun was a potato gun... but i dont really unstand the physics behind it like what you described in your message.

199016[/snapback]

me too i have seen spud guns you get a patato put it on the barrle of the gun pop the gun in pull it out when the guns pulled out trigger pulled spud shoots out.

Slightly off topic but since you seem to like spudguns you should look into trebucets. They are kind of interesting.

trebucets are really confusing and costly.In reply to dogomchawi, my spudgun shoots batteries over 200 yards, and shoots blunt objects through wood and whatnot. The weakness is how they are designed