xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
beeseven

Does Your School Have Well-defined Cliques? A sort of social order, if you will.

For those who don't know, cliques are basically groups of people that hang around together. It can be a small group of friends or a whole social group.Most stereotypical high schools have the nerds, punks, preps, ghetto, goths, emos/skaters, losers, etc., but are most high schools very stereotypical? I wouldn't really know since I go to a magnet high school for nerds, so the social classes are kind of blurred together. The nerds are friends with the preps, few people are considered losers, there's no ghetto, and we only had one goth for about a week. Also, everyone considers themselves somwhat nerdy.So what are your schools like? Strict social ladder? No real defined groups?

My high school has a lot of "cliques". There is one big one, made up of what would be considered a combination of preps, bubbles, and skeets (which is a word most people won't know.. its the kids who go out drinking every night, talk about it all the next day, smoke, listen to rap, swear excessivly, etc..). The rest are, for the most parts, small groups of punks, nerds/generally shy people, and all-out goths. The nerds are sometimes disguised as goths.I'm somewhere between nerd, goth, and punk, leaning moreso towards the goth side, from what I'm told.. most of my friends seem to go more towards punk. Anyways, the labels suck.I personally hate the whole clique thing. I kindof hate labels, too, but they were necessary for this.. But I guess its just the way my school turned out. Only one more year ^_^

Every high school is going to have cliques since it is during that age when people are the least secure about themselves and people tend to be attracted to the same type of people when they are looking for friends. However, just because you are part of a certain clique it does not limit you to being friends with other people if u are one of the few who are cool with themselves and just try to be friendly to everyone.

The nerds are friends with the preps, few people are considered losers, there's no ghetto, and we only had one goth for about a week. Also, everyone considers themselves somwhat nerdy.

198585[/snapback]

what do you mean with there's no ghetto?

198720[/snapback]

I had to respond to this because at the University of Dayton, where I go to school, we have a student neighborhood we call the ghetto... Anyways, back on topic...

Throughout my highschool years, there were tons of cliques at my school, but eventually I realized that I was in fact in my own clique, and I learned to have more fun with the friends I had and to stop worrying about it. What I would recommend is to look at the clique you are in fact in, and think about if you yourself are leaving some people out. I bet there are a few kids that would love to hang out with you, but in fact are not because you havent been very friendly and open with them.

If it makes you feel any better, in college everyone pretty much gets along with everyone else. The crazy part is, your roommate might be in a different "clique" than you were in highschool, but it really does not matter because its a whole new environment. As the second year rolls around, we have starting noticing that we are hanging out with the same people over and over again, and sadly starting our own cliques again. This however has been short lived as we try and make new friends daily. Thats the greatest part about going to a college with thousands upon thousands of students, literally a couple new thousand a year.

Thats my two cents! ^_^

My school doesn't have clashes between the nerds, punks, preps, ghetto, goths, emos/skaters, losers, etc. Basically they leave each other alone. There are really no nerds. ITs just normal people who are smart. I'm sort of nerdy because I'm in the science cluster a magnet program at my school. Mostly we have wannabe gangs of Mexicans hang around each other and talk about girls or a party. It strikes me that these people who are so different from you but actually smart. These gangster looking people who act like it too and they really do their homework. I'm just amazed by that. But at the same time they have that annoying attitude of thinking they're all tough. I'm talking about any groups in general. I hang out with everyone. I don't think we have prep at my school or losers. I don't know what losers do. lol. maybe be losers. iono. that'a alittle ambiguous. We just never use the word clique at my school. Were not that socailly divided but we do have two lunch side that people can go out to after they finish their lunch. And there is a side with Mexicans and a side with Black people. They just want to divide themselves like that. I like the black side more. The mexican side stare too much. They have staring problems. Its like a staring contest to see who you can stare the most.

198720[/snapback]

I mean there aren't really any people that you'd be afraid to look in the eyes. Like, people who go out and smoke pot every day and would pull a gun on you if you looked at them funny. Kind of hard to explain, but I guess if you ever see a random shooting in the news, they're the kind of people that might do that.

We don't have anyone like that at all.

Well, in my school there is no conflicts between groups (we have punk,metal/rock,nerd and "popular" group) we all get along fine... and it is almost impossible that someone pulls out gun and shoot someone ^_^ that is one of positive sides of living in small country (croatia :lol: )

I've asked people I know at other schools around here. One of my friends says that there are probably at least fifteen knives and 20 grams of marijuana on school grounds at any given time. He also said that you don't have to worry about someone pulling out a gun, because there will always be 3 other people with bigger guns to stop the first person :P

We have the cool people, the peole who try to be cool people. Then there's my group! That's all at my school, 3 groups! Pretty pathetic. They're sub divided and what-not but everyone within the group is interlinked.

My school has sort of a basic structure, but there are a lot of cliques that do one activity (sports, chorus, or band) so then it's a mish-mash of everyone. Also, some kids could technically be part of a couple different groups. I think only a minority are, like, strict geeks or whatever.

I wouldn't call it "cliques" i'll just call it "personalities".My school's got:quiet peopleblack grouparab groupturkish groupirritating group: composes of THE MOST ANNOYING girls in history. They are a mixture of black/arab. They shout ENDLESSLY! I mean, they can tear your ears out.boring groupnormal group: composes of me and my friends...we don't shout, but we aren't quiet either. We have fun and we are uber friendly...some people might think otherwise though...

My school is pretty small. There is about 400 people including staff, maybe less. We have the basic cliques but we all sort of hangout with eachother. We don't hate agianst other people though. Most of the conflicts are within the cliques. I'm sort of in the middle. I hang out with a lot of different people. I'm the mediator. I'm a peacemaker in the school now. I hate drama so I sort of try to mediate the problems.

Everyone seems to get along pretty well where I go to school. There are cliques, but they don't seem to be composed of just one stereotype each, they're a mix of individuals. And most of them are pretty nice to other people.I really don't belong to one though. I'm more of a loner. XD