xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
JohnBoy

Adware! Drives me insane

Everytime I get on the internet, I get about 5 popups coming up at one time due to some adware which came from Real Player. It has burried itself into my PC and I cannot get rid of it. Any suggestions?But I rekon popups are good ways of advertising. However Internet security is increasing, and with this, more and more people are getting popup blockers. I suppose advertising companys will have to work out more ways of getting past them. Then the popup blockers will get better. It never stops!

Well this is basically a problem due to adwares and in order to fix up the problem...you can use various anti-spywares or anti-adwares.You can use Ad-aware free version along with spybot search & destroy.You can also use Microsoft antispyware!what my suggestion is use all these three softwares...scan your computer with these one by one and remove all the adwares found.once you computer is clean...quit using IE and start using Firefox.and you'll notice that there will be no problem of adwares in future ^_^

Thanks. I have tryed Microsoft Antispyware, but that doesnt seem to be doing anything... Also i tryed the Yahoo! toolbar, yet again it does nothing.By the way, what makes firefox so good? I will probably start using it once I get rid of the adware. Where do I get it from if I am going to use it?

You can get firefox from https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/?utm_source=getfirefox-com&utm_medium=referral. It really does make a difference.

You said you got the adaware from Real Player. Seems strange to me that they would do that..

You could also try Lavasoft's Ad-aware program. Always sorts stuff out for me!

JohnBoy, You get improved security. Firefox does not come with the activeX plugin which is one of the ways which spyware/adware can get onto your pc. If you feel you need the plug-in then you can download it here.

Firefox has an automatic update function (which updates about once every 2 months - more often than ie) which fixes the security problems ff has.

Then of course you can download the security extensions.

I recommend using this web browser after you run all the tools mentioned on this page because each of them pick up adware their competitors don't.

Sonyguy, if I remember when I installed realOnePlayer I got prompted to install some extra programs (newDotNet, weather program etc...) which would nearly all contain some sort of adware.

Get rid of Real Player as soon as possible. The player is simply unneccessary. You can use Real Alternative 1.44 to play RM or RMVB files. You may also use KMP (Korean Media PLayer) to play the files. There is no need to install real player. If you really want real player, then you can block all adware from real player by blocking the real event exe from accessing the Internet by using any filewall. The exe should be in a folder called real_ob something in the real player directory. Alternatively, you may point real.com to local host by editing the hosts file in SYSTEM32 in Windows. You can block all ads from real.com this way. I never use real player. I have real producer plus 10, but I dont have real player. Real Alternative seems to be sufficient for me.

maybe you should try using Spybot search & destory its a good program to kill adwares. i use that, i have ads too... but they dont always pop up one pops up always when im looking for something through google and it says.."looking for ____?" (___ is whatever i typed in the textbox for searching) lol yup i cant delete it because i think its a virus....

I take it that you use FireFox now JohnBoy.. from your signature. Have you gotten rid of the spyware yet? Usually Lavasoft's Ad-Aware gets rid of spyware, but if not you can edit your registry to stop the program that's opening the pop-ups on start up.