xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tajimd

How Google Ranks Page In brief Description of PageRank.

PAGE RANK >>

Ques. How does Google rank pages?

Ans.The basics Google's order of results is automatically determined by more than 100 factors, including our Page Rank algorithm.

Due to the nature of search engine business and our interest in protecting the integrity of our search results.

Ques. Why does your page's rank keep changing?

Ans. Google updates its index every four weeks. Each time they update their database of web pages, their index invariably shifts: they find new sites,

they lose some sites, and sites ranking may change.

Your rank naturally will be affected by changes in the ranking of other sites.

you can be assured that no one at Google has hand adjusted the results to boost the

ranking of a site.

Google's order of results is automatically determined by several factors,

including its PageRank algorithm.

In short PageRank is a ?vote?, by all the other pages on the Web, about how important a page is. A link to a page counts as a vote of support. If there's no link there's no support (but it's an abstention from voting rather than a vote against the page).

Quoting from the original Google paper, PageRank is defined like this:

We assume page A has pages T1...Tn which point to it (i.e., are citations). The parameter d is a damping factor which can be set between 0 and 1. We usually set d to 0.85. There are more details about d in the next section. Also C(A) is defined as the number of links going out of page A. The PageRank of a page A is given as follows:

PR(A) = (1-d) + d (PR(T1)/C(T1) + ... + PR(Tn)/C(Tn))

Note that the PageRanks form a probability distribution over web pages, so the sum of all web pages' PageRanks will be one.

PageRank or PR(A) can be calculated using a simple iterative algorithm, and corresponds to the principal eigenvector of the normalized link matrix of the web.

To calculate the PageRank for a page, all of its inbound links are taken into account. These are links from within the site and links from outside the site.

PR(A) = (1-d) + d(PR(t1)/C(t1) + ... + PR(tn)/C(tn))

That's the equation that calculates a page's PageRank. It's the original one that was published when PageRank was being developed, and it is probable that Google uses a variation of it but they aren't telling us what it is. It doesn't matter though, as this equation is good enough.

In the equation 't1 - tn' are pages linking to page A, 'C' is the number of outbound links that a page has and 'd' is a damping factor, usually set to 0.85.

We can think of it in a simpler way:-

A page's PageRank = 0.15 + 0.85 * (a "share" of the PageRank of every page that links to it)

"share" = the linking page's PageRank divided by the number of outbound links on the page.

A page "votes" an amount of PageRank onto each page that it links to. The amount of PageRank that it has to vote with is a little less than its own PageRank value (its own value * 0.85). This value is shared equally between all the pages that it links to.

"This is not the official Formula given by Google. This Formula is assumed by lots of SEO all over the world."

Notice from Becca:
As Tyssen said. You must use the quote tags if you're copying source. You have been warned
Edited by Becca (see edit history)

Quoting from the original Google paper, PageRank is defined like this:

When you're quoting from somewhere (as most of your post seems to be), you're s'posed to use the quote tags. ^_^

That's a pretty good tech way of giving your point of view about how google ranks a website.Without that tech info, i think that the main reason or variable that google uses to rank a website is how many links the websites indexed by google have active links to your website, and specially more then one active link to different pages of your website.For example, you can find out how many active links there are for your website at websites indexed by google, by using the "link:url" google advanced operator, for example:link:Xisto.comjust enter the above query in the google search box and the results will be the websites that google have indexed and that have an active link to Xisto.com website.This is a very important feature of google if you want to check out if your link exchange partners are really exchanging links, and if your google page rank is increasing or not.Now, there's also other aspects to increase the google rank of your website, but the links aspect is the most important one, and should enough to rank your site to the top results, so, exchange links with good websites, not only with websites with the same theme of your website, but also others, and remember to exchange links only with popular websites already indexed by the google bot or spider or else it won't take effect on your page rank.

Wow great description of Google's complex way of giving you the best web seach you can get. Keep up the good work. With all this complexity I think I will spread my site using word of mouth.

That's an interesting formula to determine which sites gat a higher rank than others. I guess for the average person, the more important a website is to everyday life (news, corporate), the higher the rank.

PAGE RANK >>

Ques. How does Google rank pages?

hmmm....didn't i see this same article in my hotmail inbox in the form of a newsletter?

anyway this post was posted 3 weeks ago. since this post, google has changed their page rank algorythems. 1 page link may have been worth 1 point 3 weeks ago, but now people with 1000's of links back to their site lost their top ranking due to the fact that google is now trying to control link spam and only RELEVANT links will earn you credit toward a higher ranking

tip: easiest and fastest way to not only get your website listed faster but to get a higher rank is to post on high ranking forum pages and put your link to your page in your sig file always posting it as the footer. you kill two birds with one stone. google searches forums CONSTANTLY for fresh content. if they have a high page rank, your page rank will imrove. also, since forums are searched constantly for new content, so will your site that was linked to the high ranked forum which will get you listed faster.

google doesn't like to add sites who want to manually add theselves to googles search engine. they have tried to eliminate spammers trying to list their irrelevenat auto created sites. google think if they found you through their spiders crawling the web, then your site is more relevant than if you tried to list your site manually since there are obviously other websites out there linking back to your own site

when optimizing your site, don't try to take the shortcuts that will get you banned in the future from the search engines or will eventually screw up your page rankings when the other search engines change their algorythms to deter spammers. think long term and you will be successfull without the need to constantly update your website when search engines come out with their new rules.

btw- some forms of link spam would be ffa's or programs like adlaster, or some link exchanges. google looks at where your links are posted and determines if their content is relevant to your site. if you link is on a site that has to do with how to grow a carrot and your web page has to do with selling an e-book, google wont see the relevancy. sometimes links can HURT you. also, you really only want to link to sites that have a higher page rank than you do. if you have a page rank of 6 and are linking to lower page ranked sites, it will hurt your ranking....not better it.

proper link exchanging is time consuming but well worth it in the long run. my advice to links is to make a goal to just add 1 good link a day(another website that links back to your own). i don't have a website so i wont be adding my link :lol:

but the links aspect is the most important one, and should enough to rank your site to the top results, so, exchange links with good websites, not only with websites with the same theme of your website, but also others, and remember to exchange links only with popular websites already indexed by the google bot or spider or else it won't take effect on your page rank.

198246[/snapback]

lyon has a good point that i want to expand on. google uses RELEVANCY in determining page rank rather than keywords and descriptions within your metatags. when optimizing your site, each search engine has different algorythms to determine page rank and you can rarely please them ALL. use cross links and FRESH CONTENT to your site to please google...for other sites, keywords and a short description tag that incorparates your most relevant key words is your best bet. also, make sure you have your keywords written within your first few paragraphs at the top of your page. it is said that the spiders only read the first 1/4 of your site to determine how relevant it is before moving on to other pages

as far as keywords vs. linking.... have you ever done a search and viewed the source of the top 10 searches only to find no description or keywords within metatags? why did they get a top 10 ranking? if you don't know the answer yet then you weren't reading my posts :lol: