xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
buileminh

Home Server! Have you heard about it?

Ok. This is very simple. First off, all you have to do is make sure tha your host doesn't block port 80 and 21. Then all you have to do is configure your router for port-fording (if you have a router). If you don't, then just download this package called PHPdev. (Just search in google). It include Apaches 1.?. Apache 2.0, PHP, and MySQL. It's very easy to set up. After it's installed just do what you'd normaly do here: upload your pages!

I've had a server set up on my computer once before, but maintaining it was just too much work to do. And i got hacked once too. So in the end i just gave up, un-install everything, cleaned up my whole computer, and here i am now. :)

You could probably easily host a server on your computer. But, I would suggest that its a computer that you dont use.And, if its an old computer then not to use a windows server.You'll be amazed at how fast old computers can be if they have linux installed :PSo, you'll have to reformat an old computer...I'm sure they have very detailed tutorials on the web, many people host servers at home.Of course, what would happen if electricity went out?