xisto Community
wow

Simple Chat simple flash mx/php/mysql chat

Has anyone here done a flash/php/mysql chat project? I have a few flash projects I could use some help with getting one of them to work.I would like to start with a simple chat that I picked up at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
I'm able to edit the fla file ok, and know a little about php, and mysql, but this is the first time I have done a dynamic site, and could use some help with it to get it installed on the server,and get it to work.I have tryed on my own for awhile now with it, and it seems I'm on the ratty edge of getting it to work, but with no luck as of yet.If someonre here has the knowlage in these areas,and would be willing to help me get this thing working I sure could use the help.

Hello, RoundThank You for responding.Please dont missunderstand what I'm trying to do.I'm trying to get the bare bones of a flash chat to work, or maybe I should say to just get it setup on the server so it can work.From there I will worry about putting addons to it.I have been able to find alot of addon code such as gallerys...ect.I have fooled around with this code a little bit now,and was able to addon movable avatars, just to see how it could be done or even if I had the skills to do so.I started to work on a gallery also, but I never tied either of them into the db or made the tables for them. The avatars I did do were just hard coded in as a test.I did have another look at this tutorial,and see that the action script he has listed on the tutorial is a little differant then that of what he has applyed to the fla files frames.I edited those frames last night ,and have not tryed it out yet to see if its going to work or not.I'm pretty much a newbie at mysql,and sql at this point in time. My flash skills are growing.My strongest areas of skills lie in graphics, andanimation.As far as reading ,and understanding code those skills are growing as well, but having said that doesnt mean that I'm still not a newbie at the process ofworking with theses tools.If you feel you could help me out with this project I would be a happy coder....lolI look forward to your input ,and welcome anyones comments.

Yes, I think flash is a good platform for chat,but I'm not talking about using someone elses work,and for a beginner to learn the flash IDE,and its action script along with php,and mysql starting off with the bare bones of it is the way togo if you want to know how it works,and how to read code,and understand what is going on.This is what this post is all about ,and I welcome anyone with thier input newbies as well as experianced programmers.I and a group that I've been working with have a few chat systems setup at our site already,but these are mostly other people work and we have just added some to it in some cases.You can get a copy of flash chat for $5.00 you will receive the php files,and swf files with the package,but if you really want to edit it you need to decompile the swf files back into fla files.But to learn from these complex chats would be not such a good idea to me. I look forward to your reply. Thank You

Flash...that's tough. I don't like flash, especially when used with PHP and/or MySQL. Actionscript usually takes over most of the work. I think Flash is limited in its abilities across the board, especially from a dynamic content delivery and standards-compliancy view. It does have some artistic advantages though... I'm no expert in flash, but good luck, and I would be happy to help with any PHP and MySQL matters.Why do you want to use flash anyway?? Is there any special reason?

Hello, arboc7I started to learn the flash IDE a few months ago, and I seem to beable to get around in it well now, and understand the action script. Ive upgraded to flash pro also. The php files in this project I also understand the code in these files as well.I'm a complete newbie to mysql, so that means I'm a newbie to dynamic pages as well, but Ive red about it, and understand the concept.I'm thinking I havnt got the php config file db setting entered correctly.I have the project published, but it doesnt seem to be connecting to the db.It's not adding users to the whos online list. Would you be willing to see if you can get the project to work? I can compile the swf file for it,and the html file ,and sent them to you or leave you a download for the two files. The other php files you could get from the link I have posted.I would welcome your help indeed.

If u want to add a flash chat in ur on site then u can use the AVchat script which is a php with flash script and u only need to install this script and make a link to chat directory on ur server where u installed AVchat script.U can find this script easily by searching on a google as a query:Write this in google search text box.Query:=====Avchat nullit works bcoz i got this script by appling this query.

Thanks, coolwaves4allYes, I have that script, and many more, but I'm wanting to use my fla file that I've been working on, and make it public so I can keep on developing it as I go. I dont want someone elses work :) I'm trying to figure out now how to use flash communications server which I have figured out how to use it as a local tool for development. I need to install server 2003 or 2000,and run it within it. So I can deploy my swf file. I enjoy your input,and value it very much hope to hear from you more,and anyone else about setting up your own server,and deploying flash apps.