xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Lozbo

Xhtml 1.1 Vs Xhtml 1.0 Whats the difference?

Is it only one type of xhtml 1.1 versus the three different types of xhtml 1.0 (strict, transitional-loose, and frameset)?Is it 1.1 only strict? What are the differences or whats this all about? I have heard something about xhtml 1.1 but have not actually seen one (not that i know at least)...Thanks!

I think Xhtml1.1 is still is the works. It doesn't look like there will be the 3 DTD's either. The section you want to read on the w3c site is here. And here is a clip from the site:

XHTML 1.1 - Module-based XHTML

This Recommendation defines a new XHTML document type that is based upon the module framework and modules defined in Modularization of XHTML. The purpose of this document type is to serve as the basis for future extended XHTML 'family' document types, and to provide a consistent, forward-looking document type cleanly separated from the deprecated, legacy functionality of HTML 4 that was brought forward into the XHTML 1.0 document types.

This document type is essentially a reformulation of XHTML 1.0 Strict using XHTML Modules. This means that many facilities available in other XHTML Family document types (e.g., XHTML Frames) are not available in this document type. These other facilities are available through modules defined in Modularization of XHTML, and document authors are free to define document types based upon XHTML 1.1 that use these facilities (see Modularization of XHTML for information on creating new document types).

However, the Modularization of the xhtml will allow for the use of a "frames" module (?). There is more on the site, so have a look.

Hope this helps.

Yes indeed it helps, thanks for the link, ill give it a look, anyway, i started reading about this modularization of xhtml 1.0, but quite not understood it, i mean what i think it means is that you would be able to write only those modules, for example, a form, but without having to meet all other modules, so it wont be necesary declarations for items that you dont need in this form, including <html> and <body>, although this is what i understood, it does not seem logical to me...

XHTML 1.1 is only strict, if you want to call it that, whereas XHTML 1.0 is more of a transition from HTML to XHTML. The really big change in XHTML 1.1 is that the DTD (document type definition) modularizes the tags into similar sections. For full documentation, check our the W3's website: http://www.w3.org/

Good coding!

XHTML 1.1 has to be served as type application/xhtml+xml as it is ure XML. However, IE doesn't accept pages served as that; it only accepts pages served as text/html, so it is recommended not to use XHTML 1.1 and use 1.0 instead if you're planning on serving pages to IE browsers (either that or use a detection script which serves up a different mime type depending on browser).

Thanks for your help! i will be reading those tutorials... but i guess i would only work with xhtml 1, either transitional or strict right now

well from i found by other members is that 1.1 is the starting point somewhat for xhtml 2 but i guess you can say its the most cleanest version of web design coding you can think of it get rid of tags that are pretty much useless and take more time to code while the updated coding can do the same (more techniqual i think). but xhtml is more DB driven then putting pretty pictures on the net.

well from i found by other members is that 1.1 is the starting point somewhat for xhtml 2 but i guess you can say its the most cleanest version of web design coding you can think of it get rid of tags that are pretty much useless and take more time to code while the updated coding can do the same (more techniqual i think).  but xhtml is more DB driven then putting pretty pictures on the net.

I dunno if it was the lack of punctuation, but that made no sense from start to finish. ^_^

Yes i didnot quite catch it all you said, did not gramatically understand completely, Saint, but one thing is for sure, you do know how to put pretty pictures on the net:) (i really like yer sigs ^_^)