xisto Community
switch

Graphics Software (legal And Free well Photoshop costs ~800

hey guysi was basically wondering if anyone knew any good graphics editing software for use making sigs, web page graphics, textures for computer games etc.at the moment i'm using a combination of Microsoft Photo Editor, Paint, IrfanView, ImageXYZ (a text watermarking tool) Winamp's Advanced Visualization Studio and Excessive Use of the Print Screen Key :lol: anyone know of any software that could suit my needs? much appreciated.peace out ^_^

photoshop would be my suggestion... if you cant afford it, i would go for fireworks or paint shop pro... GIMP is free but the features arn't as good as photoshop and etc.

yeah Photoshop would be the best but it is not free and as far as I know even fireworks or paint shop pro are also not free.GIMP is the best u can get free and use it in the combination u r now and undoubtedly u would get a lot better results. Cheers.

Allow to bring one thing to your attention: the title. You know, the first thing you see before reading a post?

Anyone Know Any Good Legal Free Graphics Software?, well Photoshop costs ~$800!

To me, this suggests the poster is looking for good, legally free graphics-related programs. So you might consider ceasing to post recommendations of Photoshop and the like.

Anyway, GIMP (the GNU Image Manipulation Program) is, as has been mentioned, a reasonably good free imaging application. The problem is that decent programs of this sort usually take a lot of time and money to develop, so there isn't many floating around that the developers are willing to part with without a fee. There are certainly alternatives to Photoshop, but not many.

There are quite a few free WYSIWYG HTML editors on the web. I use Dreamweaver myself, which obviously isn't free, so I wouldn't know of any to personally recommend, but I have heard good things about the open source editor NVU.

use SERIF software. It's awesome and I think it's free. There's serif draw which is like filtered down drawing program. And theres paint and other cool things (3d etc..) It's only the older versions though. But it's still fairly useful.

GIMP isn't as good as Photoshop? Nonsense.It isn't n00b-friendly, if that's what you mean. *sniffs in disdain* ^_^There are ALOT of features that take some discovering. It is an amazing graphics tool. I couldn't live without it. I make ALL my work with GIMP. Yeah, because why pay $1000 for what you can get free?All I have to say is: Go download it now.

Woo who ever said GIMP was not that good has never really used it. Yes, if you are used to photoshop it might seem a tad bit strange and hard to use but once u start using it and get used to the way it does things, it is as good as Photoshop. Plus, since it is free many people use it and there are great tutorials online just search google. For a free image software, use GIMP since who actually can afford Adobe CS 2?

Photoshop and paint-shop-pro are the best, and between the two, paint-shop-pro is by far the best, even though tons of people say the other way.If you don't want to pay, you have the "photoshop" of the open source, named "GIMP".Gimp is almost as good as photoshop, so, i'll recommend it if you don't want to pay.

Why an earth is everyone either suggesting photoshop or paint shop pro...or even mentioning it? The dude already said it was expensive..And like i said serif is good. I used the draw one as it came in a free cd from a computer mag and found it was really useful..a tiny bit like corel draw...obviously not as good but good enough. Oh and MS Paint can be good for some things as well. I use it A LOT and there might be some tutorials out there that most people didn't know how to before.. It still amazes me.but i guess it is a bit too basic.All terragen is FREE and good for creating realistic, cool landscapes that CAN be used a texture. It's really good you should try it out. I think it's called terragen anyways.

Also, if you dont have a animation program. Go get "UNFREEZE". Its a great animation program 100% free and not glitchy. I think its a good program if your just animating. But if you want, go try a free trial of photoshop. ^_^ u'll love it

Zero, I have to say.... Photoshop is so amazing, manipulation, 3d, and pixel. I've seen people make human beings! I have to say, its worth the money. PS: GO FOR PHOTOSHOP 7! It rocks!

Zero, I have to say.... Photoshop is so amazing, manipulation, 3d, and pixel. I've seen people make human beings! I have to say, its worth the money.

PS: GO FOR PHOTOSHOP 7! It rocks!

196904[/snapback]

:lol: do you guys even read the first topic or what? I think he's trying to find ALTERNATIVE solutions to photoshop..not the actual thing..I mean it isn't free...and even if you do download the trial- it'll be gone after a month...argh!

- and yeah we all know it's amazing, but that isn't the point of this topic.

Anyways. UNFREEZ is cool i use to use that but it got annoying after i kept clicking and draggign each and every image i had to SAVE in order to make it animate..and it sometimes loses quality...

i searched in google - which is probably the best thing to do and found this very interesting website. Not only does it list free programs for paint but also for other types of things aswell..

You can find it HERE

I hope it is useful to everyone...because it was to me ^_^