xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
CopperZepher

The Pacific Ocean DEEP

Well me and another person that I know were having an argument about how deep the deepest part of the ocean really is. So I did alot of Googling and research and found this:The Deepest Ocean is the Pacific Ocean.The Deepest PART of the Pacific Ocean is called the Mariana's Trench.The depth of the deepest part of the Mariana's Trench is ROUGHLY 7 miles. It's more like 6.78 miles, but alot of sites have it different.If you were to take Bainbridge Island, WA, and take the length from the very south point, to the very north point, and put it in the deepest part of the ocean, it would stick out about 3-5 miles.If you were to put an equal height of Mount Everest into the Mariana's Trench, it would be gone.Now, this was about a week ago, so I don't remember all the links and such of my sources, but here is a list of what I can remember:National GeographicWikipediaMicrosoft Encarta 2004Ask Yahoo!and various geocities, tripod, and angelfire sites.And THAT is what I learned!

And did you know that there are plants and fish-type critters that live down there? Some of them use the sulphur from fissures to sustain themselves rather than oxygen. And the absense of light is overcome by using a form of radar instead of vision. Quite an interesting topic when you think about it.

1. Yes it is true. I THINK I also heared about these creatures and stuff are the only NON-Carbon based life on the planet? Maybe I'm wrong...2. It is 7 miles from sea level. I know it seems shallow, but trust me, you have a better chance of surviving in Space without a suit or anything... Billions of gallons of water over your head, you would be crushed into like nothing. You can survive in Space for 30 seconds without oxygen, because after that, you will either freeze, or breathe in and die. There is no air, nor is there pressure. Your lungs must be completely empty in order for it to work... Don't try this at home!! lol

I live in california, near the coast. I mean darn that water can get cold, :) like he said about the pacific ocean, alot of interestin things ^^. But from that I learned a few things I never knew b4 ;)

I was watching something about this on discovery channel, and how the creatures and plants that lived there managed to survive, and actually, this sulfure substances power this things up, but i dont understand what they do to support all this pressure, their bodys, muscles and bones or whatever they have must be hard as hell...

yeah. lots of bacteria are down there since they can live in extreme conditions. well i dont like the ocean much. lozbo, just an idea, maybe if you took a living being from the bottom to the top...and they'd pop...from no pressure, just like we'd pop if we went into space.

Do you what else is interesting. We know more about outer space then we know about our own oceans. Like yes we know a fair amount about what lives and relatively shallow areas of the ocean but very little is know about the deepest depths of the ocean like this trench. The reason is that the pressure is so great we have not been able to accomplish the task of getting there plus it seems that funding for those expeditions is lacking thus it is hard to accomplish this.

I have watched a few videos and specials about the ocean and the deep parts. One of the other ways that some animals and plants that live down there is they use bioluminesence. In particular some of them use the light to attract their prey so they can eat it. hehe. Its very difficult to study such animals because when bringing them to the surface they are so delicate and you have to try to keep them in a pressurized container if you are going to bring them up to the surface. What is interesting about some of those creatures is they are very simular to most creatures that live up top. The differance often lies not in hardness so much as how the chemicals that make up their bodies are structured.. Most chemical compounds have more than one way they bond and are shaped. These are called chemical isomers. Depending on the shape and the bond also depends on how stable they are and how strong they are.

The Pacific Ocean is the largest ocean on Earth that is surrounded by the Ring of Fire. It is also the deepest ocean with many trenches. Many sea creatures live there that we are not aware of. Maybe there is an entire civilization at the bottom of the ocean that is superior to ours. I guess we won't know until someone acutally makes something that can withstand all of the pressure of the ocean.

Wow.... I certainly learned a lot of good stuff in this thread that I never even really thought about before. I never thought of something from that deep not being able to survive without the pressure from below. But that totally makes sense. I think the next book I find to read might just have to be something about the oceans. Thanks for an interesting (and educational) topic!

Well.... Its true!My Dad is a geologist and not too long ago he did some work near there and he told be about it. The tallest mountain in the world actually is in the Pacific Ocean as well, its taller than Mt Everest. But since its submerged it doesnt really "count"