xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
HoRuS

Destroying Our Own World - Nature Talk Better world for our future Generation?

I just can't stand this and this bothers me for years, so I better vent this out before I go coocoo.Over a hundred years ago, man invented the turbine engine wich runs on oil and gas. So for over more then a hundred years people have been polluting the streets, skies and seas with this toxic gasses (exhausts). We have the knowledge to invent cleaner engines and transportation vehicles wich go with it. Engines wich can run on hydrogen, electricity and even normal drinkwater. Now this is what bothers me,All those big corporations and oil syndicates like Shell, Esso, BP you name 'em don't want these engines/cars to reach the market, or if they do those are not affordable for 80% of the people, only because of the fact that when these vehicles become common, those companies become absolete and loose their profit. They buy out factories wich can make those vehicles, they influence the media so those (like me) are being laughed at when they speak their mind, they promote their turbine engines trough commercials wich are almost Utopic.Millions of tons of oil waste are dumped into the oceans, millions of cars produce a toxic air and worst of all, they steal all of our Earth's blood. We complain about illnesses, a bad airquality, earthquakes and filthy drinkwater but most of the people don't see (or don't wanna see) these are all caused by our ways of life, the cars we drive in, the factories wich produce all our luxury.Do our children need to live on a planet on which they can hardly breath, drink nor play?What the **** are we doing?EDITED : TOPIC TITLE

Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)

they might have the power to do that now, but i'm sure they won't be able to keep that up longer. Soon public will demand a more effcient way for traveling and energy use. Since now gas prices are so high, many car company is starting to develop hybird cars (like the new lexus). As you all know, school is educating kids about pollution, etc. When those kids grow up, they will all have the same thinking and companies will force to have what the majority of the public wants.

they might have the power to do that now, but i'm sure they won't be able to keep that up longer. Soon public will demand a more effcient way for traveling and energy use.  Since now gas prices are so high, many car company is starting to develop hybird cars (like the new lexus). As you all know, school is educating kids about pollution, etc. When those kids grow up, they will all have the same thinking and companies will force to have what the majority of the public wants.

195512[/snapback]

I hope so! So many people are getting more sick now because of pollution and chemicals all around us! Kids are going to bring us yp to date for things that should have been done LONG ago. CLEANER AIR! :) lol

you forgot the option of using Cannabis (or whatever that plant's name is in english) to build (minus engine and stuff like that) and, more important, power cars. In the early years of car production those were actually in use - but then gov'ts began banning growing Cannabis completely, even though there are some breeds with a very low amount of THC (the psycho-active substance in cannabis) in them ... my favorite magazine's got an article about that online but unfortunately it's only in german...

...and you're totally right about the rest ... I'm always happy to see people venting about this, somewhen soon there'll be enough people upset about this that they'll actually meet each other - and, to quote the lyrics of a favorite song of mine:

...'cause when the masses of the world unite, it's a force they can not fight...

Oh my gosh, that War is peace thing is so offensive. Is there some deeper meaning I don't get...or it's just supposed to be offensive? but, yes. Early cars bodies were envisioned as being made out of hemp fiber...stronger than steel and completely bio-degradable. And they were made to run on vegetable oil. It's the oil companies. They are too bleeming rich, and they got that way by boondoggling us, our mothers and our grandmothers. Actually, oil was very cheap when the first discovered it, and it became very useful. Generations back they did not know what the effects of burning it in a billion cars would do. Vegetable oil is only about 25% less polluting than petroleum, but it is a good transition for diesel vehicles.

yeah i agree with you, and i mentioned something about this in a article eariler. I believe we do have all of those cleaner engines that run on water, hydrogen, etc. and like i said before when people invent the idea of the cleaner engine the oil company pays the person off for their patent and then they keep the idea a secret. I find it more and more of a problem and here in the state of Michigan i think global warming has taken some affect here. Our usual annual snow has decreased drastically over the years and so far we have not gotten over a few inches of snow.

Ugh... I was waiting for someone to vent this out too... ;) I know what you mean. It's very hot where I live now and it's like the sun is burning my skin. Vehicles keep polluting the air and it stinks. Who cares if an alternative to gasoline is expensive? The earth is dying and we'd rather suffer temporarily while changing old ways instead of waiting 'til the place we live in gets destroyed by human selfishness.I also hate seeing trash on the streets. Is it so hard to keep that candy wrapper in your pocket or bag until you find a trash can? I even see litter when there's a trashcan... with a lot of room for trash! People nowadays don't care about such things until Mother Nature comes back and slaps them in the face.It pains me to see polluted rivers where I live. I haven't seen a clean river in the city areas yet... Even the bay is littered with trash near the shore. Why is it so hard for people to throw trash in the proper place? They just throw it there and forget about it. It's never gone... especially if it's non-biodegradable... Again, it'll slap you on the face eventually. ;)

Millions of tons of oil waste are dumped into the oceans, millions of cars produce a toxic air and worst of all, they steal all of our Earth's blood.

I didn't know ancient organic material is the "Earth's blood". In that case, "Earth's blood" is using "Earth's blood" to drive its cars.

We complain about illnesses, a bad airquality, earthquakes and filthy drinkwater but most of the people don't see (or don't wanna see) these are all caused by our ways of life, the cars we drive in, the factories wich produce all our luxury.

Do our children need to live on a planet on which they can hardly breath, drink nor play?

What the **** are we doing?

Man-made Earthquakes? Did I fall asleep and miss something, here? I didn't know we could CAUSE earthquakes, but they were continental shifting. I could be wrong, though!

Earth is a pretty resiliant planet. It's been through a lot more than we humans who are far smaller than it could ever dole out. If worse comes to worst, all that will probably happen is another planet-wide mass extinction and things will be given a clean slate to start the evolutionary process all over again. Man kind is a very special thing, however. Our advances in science have been arriving from baby steps to giant leaps. Discoveries that are considered break-throughs happen every other day. We will be able to survive a planet-wide extinction, since it's very likely that man kind will make it to space before some cataclymic event decides to make itself evident.

I didn't know ancient organic material is the "Earth's blood". In that case, "Earth's blood" is using "Earth's blood" to drive its cars.

Man-made Earthquakes? Did I fall asleep and miss something, here? I didn't know we could CAUSE earthquakes, but they were continental shifting. I could be wrong, though!

That's a theory. Another theory is that oil is strictly mineral and is generated deep within the earth's mantle. It's speculated that the lubricity of oil allows the tectonic plates to shift slowely and not so violently but when it's extracted from deep wells that causes friction to build resulting in harsher earthquakes. It's still all a matter of speculation and theory though at this point.

Earth is a pretty resiliant planet. It's been through a lot more than we humans who are far smaller than it could ever dole out. If worse comes to worst, all that will probably happen is another planet-wide mass extinction and things will be given a clean slate to start the evolutionary process all over again. Man kind is a very special thing, however. Our advances in science have been arriving from baby steps to giant leaps. Discoveries that are considered break-throughs happen every other day. We will be able to survive a planet-wide extinction, since it's very likely that man kind will make it to space before some cataclymic event decides to make itself evident.

Cross your fingers! Edited by Watermonkey (see edit history)

Hmm, I personally think that the old teaching of 'walking the middle way' is generally the best way to deal with things.Basically what it means is this: Life is balance - so (for example) one should balance self-interests with a concern for the planet. At the moment I think humans are putting self interest before the good of the planet.What bothers me personally is that we aren't just destroying the planet, but also stealing the heritage of future generations.We need to come closer to the middle way - to balance the needs of human society - our needs and our comforts with the welfare of the environment, with the needs of other species with which we share this world, with the needs of future generations to which we'll leave the planet.Yup, the oil companies are too rich and influential - but then I look at most large companies as 'unthinking' entities, ensuring their own survival before any other consideration, and putting profits before most other considerations. Almost like they were a form of life themselves :lol:

There is a lot that can be done, but as has been pointed out many times, the economy complicates things. In a perfect world we could just close the relevant companies, abandon harmful uses of oil and switch to cleaner forms of fuel but the world we live in is far from perfect. Because these companies are so big they have a lot of influence on the economy and hence politics. Therefore only small steps can be taken until a proper solution is put in place. Many people are employed by these companies and there's a good chance these people would be willing to sacrifice the world future generations would have to live in so that they could provide for their families now. It's anything but easy to just reallocate jobs to somewhere else and greed is not helping matters at all. The companies responsible for extracting and processing oil and manufacturing the traditional vehicle will fight with everything they have to keep their business flowing smoothly. It's interesting to point out that the cars that run on alternative fuels can actually match the performance of some traditional cars in terms of top speed, acceleration etc. so it's not the end of the road for people if they choose these cars. Even certain vehicles used for various types of racing use alternative fuel sources. Looking at the effects make this whole thing even grimmer. Imagining no polar ice caps, coral being a truly rare thing, hurricanes, typhoons etc. growing in intensity every year, soaring temperatures with records being broken just too often and many others is not easy and to some can be just too devastating. But it can't be ignored. Fortunately progress is being made and at a decent rate as well. It must be stepped up however if the planet is to be saved.

I'll take it I'm the only ignorant one here who doesn't care? It's like when people say "Eat healthy, and live long"...Why? I'm gunna die some day, might as well have fun...the world's gunna end/screw up some day...might aswell make what life I have worthwhile, and do what I want....Yes, a very ignorant way to look at it, but I feel "whoever's up there" would be semi-happy with me, since I'm using my life to do what I want with it, not to try and extend it so someone else later on has to do the same. Then again, you're also doing what you want to (most of you, anyways) so...damn loop holes ;)

Well I think we have passed the no return point. Today's world depends too much on fossil fuel, so changing this also means changing pretty much everything in our lives. Would you spend 30000$ on a hybrid car when you can buy a regular one with 10000$. Or you would rather go to the office by bike? Would you give up heating your home in the winter?

Don't get me wrong, we can still save our world, but it will require a huge (more then we can imagine) change in our life.

Above the fossil fuel problem there is also the alternative fuel problem. Sun, water or wind power don't cause pollution. But if we are to change and switch to electricity we will need lots and lots of power plants. The sun, the wind and the water can't simply provide enough electricity to power the entire world. Nuclear power is the answer. But that is also a ticking time bomb. Nuclear waste plus the danger of a large nuclear event make this only a temporary solution. But above all we have to change our lifestyle, be more efficient, consume much less energy then we currently do.

We are so technologically advanced, but we cannot save our planet for ourselves... Last one to die please turn off the light!